Samsung UE**ES8000 Owners Thread Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the wifi is defective the soft AP and direct wifi should be grayed out.

The tv may be blocked from w7 firewall I had it once long time ago. Try to find the devices that connect to the pc and check out.

Gl with it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A quick note to anyone in the UK that uses the "AceTrax" movie app in the SmartHub (or other device).

That service is about to be closed down by it's owners Sky on 21st June.

Last edited:
I wish for a feature request, to have the "guide" tv list to follow the favourite list. As it is right now, my guide tv channels are all mixed up completely, so that it's difficult to find the tv channels you wanna check out.

What do you guys say to that? :)

hi guys looking at a new tv and have narrowed it down i have the following choices

ue65es8000 £2250 - repaired return (there was a crack on the casing on right side near back)
ue55es8000 £1599 - repaired return (im unsure of the repair at present)

or

ue55f8000 £2300 brand new
ue55f7000 £2100 brand new

these are prices i have been quoted with 5 year guarantees obviously i know they are cheaper elsewhere such as ebay but they all come with 6months if none at all guarantee ive seen both the es and f series in the flesh and cant see much difference and am i right in thinking the evo kit gives the es everything the f has?

too be totally honest i prefer the style of the es series to the f series and its going in a big room so at the moment im swayed toward the 65" es as it wasnt returned due to hardware or software mearly cosmetic damage

any advice?

hi guys looking at a new tv and have narrowed it down i have the following choices

ue65es8000 £2250 - repaired return (there was a crack on the casing on right side near back)
ue55es8000 £1599 - repaired return (im unsure of the repair at present)

or

ue55f8000 £2300 brand new
ue55f7000 £2100 brand new

these are prices i have been quoted with 5 year guarantees obviously i know they are cheaper elsewhere such as ebay but they all come with 6months if none at all guarantee ive seen both the es and f series in the flesh and cant see much difference and am i right in thinking the evo kit gives the es everything the f has?

too be totally honest i prefer the style of the es series to the f series and its going in a big room so at the moment im swayed toward the 65" es as it wasnt returned due to hardware or software mearly cosmetic damage

any advice?

Best advice is give them all a test run. Especially the 65"ES since most on here have had banding and a variety of other unwatchable artefacts requiring return, refund and moving to a plasma (in most cases) :) Presumably the repaired ones are pretty much available to test?

I'm biased but the 55" ES I have is great with no issues but that is not guaranteed of course.... And no the EK doesn't give you "everything" of the F. No cinema black function but then again it doesn't halve the horizontal viewing angle of the ES as has been reported in comparative tests lol :) Quad core and the new SH plus some PQ processing oomf but ask on the EK thread about specifics I would suggest.....

Best advice is give them all a test run. Especially the 65"ES since most on here have had banding and a variety of other unwatchable artefacts requiring return, refund and moving to a plasma (in most cases) :) Presumably the repaired ones are pretty much available to test?

I'm biased but the 55" ES I have is great with no issues but that is not guaranteed of course.... And no the EK doesn't give you "everything" of the F. No cinema black function but then again it doesn't halve the horizontal viewing angle of the ES as has been reported in comparative tests lol :) Quad core and the new SH plus some PQ processing oomf but ask on the EK thread about specifics I would suggest.....

i was in a rush the other day so only got to glance at the es models in the box but i suppose they would give them a whirl not much of a tv expert how much of an issue is the cinema black function?

i was in a rush the other day so only got to glance at the es models in the box but i suppose they would give them a whirl not much of a tv expert how much of an issue is the cinema black function?

IMHO it isn't an issue but that is on my set with my preferred settings. I don't use any black settings already on offer anyway really. Many owners want cinema black though so you are unlikely to have the question answered too clearly :)

Tonya: Do you think you could find out if the EK is the same in all countries? They have different part numbers XC/XA/ZA etc. but I can't see why the hardware would be any different and I am hoping it's only down to different pacakaging/manual requirements.

Tonya: Do you think you could find out if the EK is the same in all countries? They have different part numbers XC/XA/ZA etc. but I can't see why the hardware would be any different and I am hoping it's only down to different pacakaging/manual requirements.

I'm on it . . . .

Cinema Black makes a huge difference if you watch alot of widescreen movies.. It turns the LEDs completely off for the upper and lower black bar area of the screen. This gives a few good benefits. The first is that the black bars are pure black as if the TV was off. No more flash-lighting or spotted corners. The second is that you can crank the backlight, brightness, gamma to your liking and the letterbox bars stay pure black. It is immersive and gives the appearance of higher contrast ratio. Samsung surely screwed the ES owners on this one.. As the older D series and the newer F series both have it. The only ES with Cinema Black is the expensive ES9000.

TonyaNorway looked into this a while back and if I'm correct they never gave him a reason why we don't have it or if it can be added via firmware or EK.. Since the ES9000 has Cinema Black and is not quad core I can't see how the EK is needed to obtain it. I hope TonyaNorway will ask again and push for it again. :)

Last edited:
Cinema Black makes a huge difference if you watch alot of widescreen movies.. It turns the LEDs completely off for the upper and lower black bar area of the screen. This gives a few good benefits. The first is that the black bars are pure black as if the TV was off. No more flash-lighting or spotted corners. The second is that you can crank the backlight, brightness, gamma to your liking and the letterbox bars stay pure black. It is immersive and gives the appearance of higher contrast ratio. Samsung surely screwed the ES owners on this one.. As the older D series and the newer F series both have it. The only ES with Cinema Black is the expensive ES9000.

TonyaNorway looked into this a while back and if I'm correct they never gave him a reason why we don't have it or if it can be added via firmware or EK.. Since the ES9000 has Cinema Black and is not quad core I can't see how the EK is needed to obtain it. I hope TonyaNorway will ask again and push for it. :)

Cinema black needs a lot of work doing to it, it was terrible on the 2 F8000s I owned, it caused strobing across the screen and didn't make the bars pure black, darker yes but you could see movement within the bars and it had patches like different shades of black, LEDs shining through and weird vertical light cloured lines appearing within the bars, it wasn't a pretty sight.

If the wifi is defective the soft AP and direct wifi should be grayed out.

The tv may be blocked from w7 firewall I had it once long time ago. Try to find the devices that connect to the pc and check out.

Gl with it

Definitely not the firewall as I disabled it to check.
Had a response via email in less than 24 hours saying they think an engineer needs to come look at it. But I needed to tell them the date of purchase (even though the email form won't let you submit an email without putting that in) and where I bought it from. Only problem was that you can't reply to the email they send you so you have to resubmit another form. Although I'm hoping with the reference number they've given me it'll all tie together.

Will give the thread posted!

Cinema black needs a lot of work doing to it, it was terrible on the 2 F8000s I owned, it caused strobing across the screen and didn't make the bars pure black, darker yes but you could see movement within the bars and it had patches like different shades of black, LEDs shining through and weird vertical light cloured lines appearing within the bars, it wasn't a pretty sight.

+1 from me - as I said not an issue for me (and AM it would seem) :devil:

Hi!
Just got off the phone with Samsung, there are no plans to introduce the Cinema Black function on the ES8K series as it was decided it added more problems than it solved.
Some algorithms were enhanced to enable the user to get the same effect via the picture settings, as if properly adjusted, there shouldn't be any light bleed from the black bars whatsoever, which I tend to agree with.

More complex is the question of using an EK from a different region.
Basically to sum up a very long and technical discussion, any European EK should work just fine on any European set although they would not absolutely guarantee that fact.

Will the EK affect the picture quality on an ES8K series?
Absolutely, but not dramatically was the definitive answer.
Enthusiasts will see improvements but the average user not so much.

FYI: There are also some big screen OLED models that are very close to manufacturing, while the new S4 phone is selling worldwide at 4 units per second.

Last edited:
Hi!
Just got off the phone with Samsung, there are no plans to introduce the Cinema Black function on the ES8K series as it was decided it added more problems than it solved.
Some algorithms were enhanced to enable the user to get the same effect via the picture settings, as if properly adjusted, there shouldn't be any light bleed from the black bars whatsoever, which I tend to agree with.

Thanks... Could you possibly elaborate on this.. Any specific type or combination of settings to obtain this desired cinema black effect? Is Samsung planning on further tweaking the picture via firmware or EK updates.

Thanks... Could you possibly elaborate on this.. Any specific type or combination of settings to obtain this desired cinema black effect? Is Samsung planning on further tweaking the picture via firmware or EK updates.

You see that's why there is no definitive magic list of values that will work in all situations.
All BD players output slightly different pictures as do set top boxes, broadcast channel parameters vary wildly, etc.
Even individual viewing situations will affect the final outcome.
I have to say I like the room almost totally dark when I am watching a film and my black bars are just that - black.
No torchlighting or grey areas whatsoever.
Then again some people swear by having "ambient lighting" behind the set, others prefer a medium lit room.

ArenaMan's list is probably the best one to get you "almost there" but ultimately you will have to constantly tweak depending on your viewing preferences and source material.

As far as Samsung further tweaking the picture via firmware updates, one could say they are fanatically obsessed with doing so, which is why the sets have received so many updates in the last year and will continue to do so, which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

As it says on the tin, it is a product that is evolving.

In saying that, I wish they would issue a proper changelog with each firmware release instead of just dropping hints and the occasional technical memo.

It is quite frustrating at times, to put it mildly :confused:

Last edited:
@TonyeNorway
I would have thought the ES would be like most modern phones to be honest,
Once a new one comes out the earlier one would get left behind.
I suppose because the ES has the ability to be updated with the EK. It can't be.

Just a mini update on my problem. Had a phone call this morning in response to my email. Was told an engineer would phone to arrange to come and service the TV. Had a call from the engineer this afternoon and he's coming on Wednesday.
So far, impressed. Although not impressed by the TV requiring a service 5 months into it's life. Glad I got the extended warranty on it now!

Originally i was going to get the 46 inch version of this but having looked at the 55 inch version i'd be daft not to get that one, after a few months i know i'd probably regret it if i didn't.

Does the 55 inch version have any known issues ?

Originally i was going to get the 46 inch version of this but having looked at the 55 inch version i'd be daft not to get that one, after a few months i know i'd probably regret it if i didn't.

Does the 55 inch version have any known issues ?

No more so than any of the other models. It's the 65 inch you need to stay away from

I have got the 55 and love it more every day

Was checking my picture settings and I've found out that my backlight settings have gone up to 20 (from 13) since either FW2007 or 2008, I'm guessing 2007 as this is when i noticed a huge picture improvement. I have no torchlighting or bleeding on this tv so all good.:D

I usually update my firmware via USB. I have noticed after installing my EK in my ES8000 the firmware changed from the most recent 1051.2 to 1002 post EK. MY question is what firmware does my TV now run. As this matches neither the ES or F series and the EK doesnt list a firmware option under support. Thanks in advance for any ideas. BTW want to say hello, ive been frequenting this site since my hunt began in january for my new tv. I went through an LG7600 and a Sony HX850 before settling on my ES8000. I love the ES, mine is the 46" as this is what the space i needed it in dictated. The sony had better motion handling but horrid pixelation and dull grey black levels. The LG was a mess all the way around. Im pleased with my ES but am always searching for a slightly better picture.

I usually update my firmware via USB. I have noticed after installing my EK in my ES8000 the firmware changed from the most recent 1051.2 to 1002 post EK. MY question is what firmware does my TV now run. As this matches neither the ES or F series and the EK doesnt list a firmware option under support. Thanks in advance for any ideas. BTW want to say hello, ive been frequenting this site since my hunt began in january for my new tv. I went through an LG7600 and a Sony HX850 before settling on my ES8000. I love the ES, mine is the 46" as this is what the space i needed it in dictated. The sony had better motion handling but horrid pixelation and dull grey black levels. The LG was a mess all the way around. Im pleased with my ES but am always searching for a slightly better picture.

Sorry where do you live ? Country not address :D That firmware number originally is US isn't it? It's not UK (2008) nor Australia (1020). Others with the EK fitted will be able to comment on the firmware number after fitting. Looking at the Samsung sites where the kit is on sale though the product page on the support tab has only an instruction manual. This would suggest the TV with EK fitted will find it's own firmware update and maybe that is what is happening - it's just not available on download. Since you can apparently install and uninstall the EK when you like after first fitting and updates I'm guessing it uses a different combined firmware for the model of TV you have plus the EK. Take it off and the ES part works fine.

Any guidance Tony? Dual firmware or something special not yet downloadable but which the TV picks up once the EK is installed?

Any guidance Tony? Dual firmware or something special not yet downloadable but which the TV picks up once the EK is installed?

Can't help here I'm afraid, still waiting for my EK :mad: as it's not released here until next month.
I'm actually in Germany at the moment, will try and pick one up here if they're out. (EDIT: No luck)
AFAIK, an 8K + EK would almost certainly lock onto a different update series (or at the very least a different subset) due to the new CPU architecture but that's only a presumtion on my part.

As you pointed out, in different parts of the world there are different update series, so this set is certainly not in Europe (I hope!) as we don't have that number series here . . . .

Last edited:
Got the chance of a 65es8000 for £2000 in currys last one on display, What do you guys think? Buy or leave well alone. Dont know how much it has been used they say last model. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom