Samsung UE**ES8000 Owners Thread Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

outoftheknow

Yeah, I've tried letting the TV get the IP address automatically, setting the IP address manually on the wired network. Both work for connecting to the internet but neither to see the PC.
However, trying to do it wireless, the TV can't see the network at all.
Sounds weird. I am trying to remember if there was anything similar in the last 12,000 posts or so but I do recall that the menu reset does not reset the network settings.... I think that is because in the menu you can do it all again from scratch specifically for Network and separate from the reset setup. So in the IP Settings you tried something other than "Get Automatically" for IP and for DNS? Tried MAC address filtering and/or manual IP address on the router (and manual IP address on TV) just to see if you can force a connection? When you say wired doesn't "see the PC" is this as an Allshare "thing" or the PC doesn't show as a source as well? In Allshare on the PC just make sure the device is granted access - in two years despite ticking all the correct boxes my devices do not re-connect automatically - other Samsung TVs, BD players, desktops etc. Clutching at straws beyond lodge a warranty issue :laugh:

Scoobtastic

Standard Member
I've been on to the router and deleted all the reserved IP's for the MAC addresses. Left the TV off for an hour. About to try again.
You are right though, resetting the TV resets EVERYTHING except the network settings.
When I say, doesn't see the PC, I mean on the source list. Before, when everything was working, I went into the source list and could see the PC (for DNLA connection), Serviio and All share (I was seeing which one was best).

Will report back in a minute.

outoftheknow

I've been on to the router and deleted all the reserved IP's for the MAC addresses. Left the TV off for an hour. About to try again.
You are right though, resetting the TV resets EVERYTHING except the network settings.
When I say, doesn't see the PC, I mean on the source list. Before, when everything was working, I went into the source list and could see the PC (for DNLA connection), Serviio and All share (I was seeing which one was best).

Will report back in a minute.
No worries. I'm in Canberra so the coach has reverted to a pumpkin here :) I'll check back how you're doing later this morning my time:) good luck.....

Scoobtastic

Standard Member
No joy. Wireless network detection on the TV brings up nothing (not even next door, or BT).
Plug the network cable in the back of the TV, TV checks connection to the internet, works fine.
Searching for devices on the PC via all share, can't detect the TV.
Switch the Blu-ray player on, finds it instantly.

outoftheknow

No joy. Wireless network detection on the TV brings up nothing (not even next door, or BT).
Plug the network cable in the back of the TV, TV checks connection to the internet, works fine.
Possibly a fault to lodge :) if other devices connect wirelessly to your router and other routers and the TV doesn't it sounds dodgy.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
I had the exact same issue on mine when it was just 2 weeks old. Wifi had worked fine and then just got same symptoms. In my case tuned out that the network card had failed. Called warranty, simple fix on site of a new card but in my case I didn't want the hassle of removing TV from wall (complex high mount) so I just use a powerline adapter and ethernet now.

If you are under warranty I would give them a call

Scoobtastic

Standard Member
yeah, think it's a warranty job.
Just weird that the TV itself will connect to the internet via the wired connection so it must be going via the router?

Hope Samsung telephone support isn't too painful!

mini76

yeah, think it's a warranty job.
Just weird that the TV itself will connect to the internet via the wired connection so it must be going via the router?

Hope Samsung telephone support isn't too painful!
Let us know how you get on ;)

Braxos

Standard Member
If the wifi is defective the soft AP and direct wifi should be grayed out.

The tv may be blocked from w7 firewall I had it once long time ago. Try to find the devices that connect to the pc and check out.

Gl with it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TonyaNorway

A quick note to anyone in the UK that uses the "AceTrax" movie app in the SmartHub (or other device).

That service is about to be closed down by it's owners Sky on 21st June.

Last edited:

SLL

I wish for a feature request, to have the "guide" tv list to follow the favourite list. As it is right now, my guide tv channels are all mixed up completely, so that it's difficult to find the tv channels you wanna check out.

What do you guys say to that? :)

Sh0rty

Banned
hi guys looking at a new tv and have narrowed it down i have the following choices

ue65es8000 £2250 - repaired return (there was a crack on the casing on right side near back)
ue55es8000 £1599 - repaired return (im unsure of the repair at present)

or

ue55f8000 £2300 brand new
ue55f7000 £2100 brand new

these are prices i have been quoted with 5 year guarantees obviously i know they are cheaper elsewhere such as ebay but they all come with 6months if none at all guarantee ive seen both the es and f series in the flesh and cant see much difference and am i right in thinking the evo kit gives the es everything the f has?

too be totally honest i prefer the style of the es series to the f series and its going in a big room so at the moment im swayed toward the 65" es as it wasnt returned due to hardware or software mearly cosmetic damage

any advice?

outoftheknow

hi guys looking at a new tv and have narrowed it down i have the following choices

ue65es8000 £2250 - repaired return (there was a crack on the casing on right side near back)
ue55es8000 £1599 - repaired return (im unsure of the repair at present)

or

ue55f8000 £2300 brand new
ue55f7000 £2100 brand new

these are prices i have been quoted with 5 year guarantees obviously i know they are cheaper elsewhere such as ebay but they all come with 6months if none at all guarantee ive seen both the es and f series in the flesh and cant see much difference and am i right in thinking the evo kit gives the es everything the f has?

too be totally honest i prefer the style of the es series to the f series and its going in a big room so at the moment im swayed toward the 65" es as it wasnt returned due to hardware or software mearly cosmetic damage

any advice?
Best advice is give them all a test run. Especially the 65"ES since most on here have had banding and a variety of other unwatchable artefacts requiring return, refund and moving to a plasma (in most cases) :) Presumably the repaired ones are pretty much available to test?

I'm biased but the 55" ES I have is great with no issues but that is not guaranteed of course.... And no the EK doesn't give you "everything" of the F. No cinema black function but then again it doesn't halve the horizontal viewing angle of the ES as has been reported in comparative tests lol :) Quad core and the new SH plus some PQ processing oomf but ask on the EK thread about specifics I would suggest.....

Sh0rty

Banned
Best advice is give them all a test run. Especially the 65"ES since most on here have had banding and a variety of other unwatchable artefacts requiring return, refund and moving to a plasma (in most cases) :) Presumably the repaired ones are pretty much available to test?

I'm biased but the 55" ES I have is great with no issues but that is not guaranteed of course.... And no the EK doesn't give you "everything" of the F. No cinema black function but then again it doesn't halve the horizontal viewing angle of the ES as has been reported in comparative tests lol :) Quad core and the new SH plus some PQ processing oomf but ask on the EK thread about specifics I would suggest.....
i was in a rush the other day so only got to glance at the es models in the box but i suppose they would give them a whirl not much of a tv expert how much of an issue is the cinema black function?

outoftheknow

i was in a rush the other day so only got to glance at the es models in the box but i suppose they would give them a whirl not much of a tv expert how much of an issue is the cinema black function?
IMHO it isn't an issue but that is on my set with my preferred settings. I don't use any black settings already on offer anyway really. Many owners want cinema black though so you are unlikely to have the question answered too clearly :)

iNspectorgadJet

Tonya: Do you think you could find out if the EK is the same in all countries? They have different part numbers XC/XA/ZA etc. but I can't see why the hardware would be any different and I am hoping it's only down to different pacakaging/manual requirements.

TonyaNorway

Tonya: Do you think you could find out if the EK is the same in all countries? They have different part numbers XC/XA/ZA etc. but I can't see why the hardware would be any different and I am hoping it's only down to different pacakaging/manual requirements.
I'm on it . . . .

Jnyvio

Cinema Black makes a huge difference if you watch alot of widescreen movies.. It turns the LEDs completely off for the upper and lower black bar area of the screen. This gives a few good benefits. The first is that the black bars are pure black as if the TV was off. No more flash-lighting or spotted corners. The second is that you can crank the backlight, brightness, gamma to your liking and the letterbox bars stay pure black. It is immersive and gives the appearance of higher contrast ratio. Samsung surely screwed the ES owners on this one.. As the older D series and the newer F series both have it. The only ES with Cinema Black is the expensive ES9000.

TonyaNorway looked into this a while back and if I'm correct they never gave him a reason why we don't have it or if it can be added via firmware or EK.. Since the ES9000 has Cinema Black and is not quad core I can't see how the EK is needed to obtain it. I hope TonyaNorway will ask again and push for it again. :)

Last edited:

arenaman

Cinema Black makes a huge difference if you watch alot of widescreen movies.. It turns the LEDs completely off for the upper and lower black bar area of the screen. This gives a few good benefits. The first is that the black bars are pure black as if the TV was off. No more flash-lighting or spotted corners. The second is that you can crank the backlight, brightness, gamma to your liking and the letterbox bars stay pure black. It is immersive and gives the appearance of higher contrast ratio. Samsung surely screwed the ES owners on this one.. As the older D series and the newer F series both have it. The only ES with Cinema Black is the expensive ES9000.

TonyaNorway looked into this a while back and if I'm correct they never gave him a reason why we don't have it or if it can be added via firmware or EK.. Since the ES9000 has Cinema Black and is not quad core I can't see how the EK is needed to obtain it. I hope TonyaNorway will ask again and push for it. :)
Cinema black needs a lot of work doing to it, it was terrible on the 2 F8000s I owned, it caused strobing across the screen and didn't make the bars pure black, darker yes but you could see movement within the bars and it had patches like different shades of black, LEDs shining through and weird vertical light cloured lines appearing within the bars, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Scoobtastic

Standard Member
If the wifi is defective the soft AP and direct wifi should be grayed out.

The tv may be blocked from w7 firewall I had it once long time ago. Try to find the devices that connect to the pc and check out.

Gl with it
Definitely not the firewall as I disabled it to check.
Had a response via email in less than 24 hours saying they think an engineer needs to come look at it. But I needed to tell them the date of purchase (even though the email form won't let you submit an email without putting that in) and where I bought it from. Only problem was that you can't reply to the email they send you so you have to resubmit another form. Although I'm hoping with the reference number they've given me it'll all tie together.

Will give the thread posted!

outoftheknow

Cinema black needs a lot of work doing to it, it was terrible on the 2 F8000s I owned, it caused strobing across the screen and didn't make the bars pure black, darker yes but you could see movement within the bars and it had patches like different shades of black, LEDs shining through and weird vertical light cloured lines appearing within the bars, it wasn't a pretty sight.
+1 from me - as I said not an issue for me (and AM it would seem) :devil:

TonyaNorway

Hi!
Just got off the phone with Samsung, there are no plans to introduce the Cinema Black function on the ES8K series as it was decided it added more problems than it solved.
Some algorithms were enhanced to enable the user to get the same effect via the picture settings, as if properly adjusted, there shouldn't be any light bleed from the black bars whatsoever, which I tend to agree with.

More complex is the question of using an EK from a different region.
Basically to sum up a very long and technical discussion, any European EK should work just fine on any European set although they would not absolutely guarantee that fact.

Will the EK affect the picture quality on an ES8K series?
Absolutely, but not dramatically was the definitive answer.
Enthusiasts will see improvements but the average user not so much.

FYI: There are also some big screen OLED models that are very close to manufacturing, while the new S4 phone is selling worldwide at 4 units per second.

Last edited:

Jnyvio

Hi!
Just got off the phone with Samsung, there are no plans to introduce the Cinema Black function on the ES8K series as it was decided it added more problems than it solved.
Some algorithms were enhanced to enable the user to get the same effect via the picture settings, as if properly adjusted, there shouldn't be any light bleed from the black bars whatsoever, which I tend to agree with.
Thanks... Could you possibly elaborate on this.. Any specific type or combination of settings to obtain this desired cinema black effect? Is Samsung planning on further tweaking the picture via firmware or EK updates.

TonyaNorway

Thanks... Could you possibly elaborate on this.. Any specific type or combination of settings to obtain this desired cinema black effect? Is Samsung planning on further tweaking the picture via firmware or EK updates.
You see that's why there is no definitive magic list of values that will work in all situations.
All BD players output slightly different pictures as do set top boxes, broadcast channel parameters vary wildly, etc.
Even individual viewing situations will affect the final outcome.
I have to say I like the room almost totally dark when I am watching a film and my black bars are just that - black.
No torchlighting or grey areas whatsoever.
Then again some people swear by having "ambient lighting" behind the set, others prefer a medium lit room.

ArenaMan's list is probably the best one to get you "almost there" but ultimately you will have to constantly tweak depending on your viewing preferences and source material.

As far as Samsung further tweaking the picture via firmware updates, one could say they are fanatically obsessed with doing so, which is why the sets have received so many updates in the last year and will continue to do so, which isn't a bad thing IMHO.

As it says on the tin, it is a product that is evolving.

In saying that, I wish they would issue a proper changelog with each firmware release instead of just dropping hints and the occasional technical memo.

It is quite frustrating at times, to put it mildly :confused:

Last edited:

mini76

@TonyeNorway
I would have thought the ES would be like most modern phones to be honest,
Once a new one comes out the earlier one would get left behind.
I suppose because the ES has the ability to be updated with the EK. It can't be.

Scoobtastic

Standard Member
Just a mini update on my problem. Had a phone call this morning in response to my email. Was told an engineer would phone to arrange to come and service the TV. Had a call from the engineer this afternoon and he's coming on Wednesday.
So far, impressed. Although not impressed by the TV requiring a service 5 months into it's life. Glad I got the extended warranty on it now!

Ivor_Biggern

Originally i was going to get the 46 inch version of this but having looked at the 55 inch version i'd be daft not to get that one, after a few months i know i'd probably regret it if i didn't.

Does the 55 inch version have any known issues ?

abay710

Originally i was going to get the 46 inch version of this but having looked at the 55 inch version i'd be daft not to get that one, after a few months i know i'd probably regret it if i didn't.

Does the 55 inch version have any known issues ?
No more so than any of the other models. It's the 65 inch you need to stay away from

I have got the 55 and love it more every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK