Samsung UE**ES8000 and all UE**ES ranges calibration thread

Are you Guys saying I can't download the latest frimware by wi-fi from the TV ?

if so, why isn't the online version via the tv available ... and when would it become available by this means ?

I cant remember who I spoke to but the online version of the firmware is slightly behind what is put on the samsung support site. (Maybe only a couple of days delay - I dont know). Its easy to put on a usb and upgrade using that method. There is a download document to see exactly what you need to do. Plus its much quicker using the usb method.

I cant remember who I spoke to but the online version of the firmware is slightly behind what is put on the samsung support site. (Maybe only a couple of days delay - I dont know). Its easy to put on a usb and upgrade using that method. There is a download document to see exactly what you need to do. Plus its much quicker using the usb method.

ok thanks Kev.

My tv is wall mounted so will have to see how easily accessible the usb is.

Otherwise, may have to wait for the new firmware to become available via the tv.

My TV is very close to my router though and the wireless download speed for my last update was very quick, literally just a few minutes.

ok thanks Kev.

My tv is wall mounted so will have to see how easily accessible the usb is.

Otherwise, may have to wait for the new firmware to become available via the tv.

My TV is very close to my router though and the wireless download speed for my last update was very quick, literally just a few minutes.

the usb is on the right hand side above the hdmi connections.

If you're flush against the wall you wont be able to access the USB connections, updates will have to be online only.

If you're flush against the wall you wont be able to access the USB connections, updates will have to be online only.

I thought that might be the case - gonna have to wait for online then.

Thanks anyway Guys :smashin:

Hi guys,

my question is if the video proccessor on ES8000 is better or worse than the one on Marantz sr7007?

Simply put, would you advise me to pass on the video to the TV via CI+ directly from the sat-dish or go through (from the sat box) to the AVR receiver which is comming in this week.

My previous AV receiver caused me some HDMI handshake problems with the sat receiver so i moved the feed to the CI slot.

However the Marantz should not have these issues and I would move back if I notice improvements on SD and 720p broadcasting channels.

Any experiences or thoughts??

Cheers
MG

I know its maybe not the right thread to post my question, but as it was the most frequented..i did.
If you dont have a suggestion maybe someone can redirect me to a different thread where these types of issues are addresed.
I hope Im not asking alot.

Thanks in advance
MG

Just got the 55es8000 to replace the 7000. New sw on. No banding or dss. I've got a good one. For those with banding it may be a fault and may be worth a swap.

Just got the 55es8000 to replace the 7000. New sw on. No banding or dss. I've got a good one. For those with banding it may be a fault and may be worth a swap.

Nice one, glad you've got a good un :smashin:

Kev,

Have you watched football or F1 on your new tv as that is where the banding is most noticeable for me.

For some programmes there is no banding whatsoever.
Prime examples are high quality studio sets like X factor, Strictly Come Dancing etc.
For me it is football pitches and grey / light blue sky or clouds.

I hope you have got a perfect set, as that gives me encouragement that mine may have an issue and that I should seek replacement.

I got my ES8000 55" on Tuesday and watched the England game on ITV HD on Wednesday..... I couldn't see any banding at all on my set... I know what to look for as I had the D8000 prior to this and had it quite bad.... fortunately John Lewis replaced that set with the ES8000.....

I couldn't be happier as I have no clouding either...

fingers crossed for others

Glen

Watched the manu v villa game. I recorded it specifically to compare the 8000 and 7000. Put the new s/w version on 2002.1 straight away. No banding at all. To reduce banding on 7000 I put backlight onto 20 (really bright) which masked it. On the new 8000 backlight at 12 and no banding. I am so relieved as this is my third tv in three weeks. I had the p55vt50 first and that had white banding during the football. ES7000 had black banding but the new es8000 has none at all. Maybe yours need to be replaced. I'm glad I bought from JL as they've been brilliant and havent quibbled at all re replacing.
Kev

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kev ... the more I hear, the more it sounds like the "banding" is common issue but there are sets out there which don't suffer at all so I should look to get my set sorted !

I will take this up with Sevenoaks who supplied my set.

Appreciate your comments thanks.

Hello all, just bought myself a 65ES8000 and have to say what a great screen. I Had a 42' Panny PZ85B plasma before and I've no doubts this is going to match that once set up, which brings me to my question, can anyone recommend a good calibrator? The screen does great blacks (which I thought would be a weak spot) but does look a bit grey, I'm confident it can look stunning, with some help! Thank you :)

Hello all, just bought myself a 65ES8000 and have to say what a great screen. I Had a 42' Panny PZ85B plasma before and I've no doubts this is going to match that once set up, which brings me to my question, can anyone recommend a good calibrator? The screen does great blacks (which I thought would be a weak spot) but does look a bit grey, I'm confident it can look stunning, with some help! Thank you :)

This might help

Calibration tour!

Ooh thanks for that, will definitely get on the list! :)

Ok, here we go again

Courtesy of "Garnoch" and "prsut" from the AVS forums. I've used these setings with Gamma at -2, Standard Colour tone and backlight at 14, sharpness I like around 35 too and AMP /eco sensor off.

The TV just looks better and better :thumbsup:

10-27-12 STANDARD Update to counteract CE Dimming (whole screen dimming during dark scenes)
Picture Menu:

Mode: Standard

Backlight: To your liking, mine is 12 (3 or 4 lower than Movie mode)
Contrast: 97 (98
 before Firmware Update 1041.1)

Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 16
Color: 45

Tint: G50/R50

Screen Adjustment submenu:

Picture Size: Screen Fit (16 x 9 for TV if you don't want possible data visible on top or bottom, this will slightly zoom & degrade picture though)

Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced Settings submenu:

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Dark

Flesh Tone: 0

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Custom

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 0

Green: Red 4, Green 48, Blue 4

Blue: Red 2, Green 6, Blue 46

Yellow: Red 52, Green 50, Blue 4

Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 51

Magenta: Red 40, Green 6, Blue 44

White Balance submenu:

R-Offset: 17

G-Offset: 17

B-Offset: 14

R-Gain: 5
G-Gain: 26

B-Gain: 20

10p White Balance: Off [grayed out]

Gamma: 0 (-2
Expert Pattern: Off

xvYCC: Off

Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Black Enhancer: Off

Picture Options submenu:

Color Tone: Warm2

Digital Noise Filter: Off
 (Auto for DirecTV)

MPEG Noise Filter: Off
 (Auto for DirecTV)

HDMI Black Level: Normal (If available, set to Low for DirecTV or other STBs if picture looks light and cloudy)

Film Mode: Off or Auto 1 (When available)

Auto Motion Plus: Clear (Off can be less smooth - other settings give more Soap Opera effect and can stutter picture - personal pref)
LED Motion Plus: Off (On is suppose to help with fast motion - I have yet to see it make a difference)

System/ECO Solution:
ECO Sensor: ON
Minimum backlight level: To your liking, mine is now 5

Last edited:
These are my ES8000 60" settings. Could someone try out my settings and let me know what they think. I also want to say a big thank you to arenaman for continuing to update us with his settings. I will keep trying them too. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Picture Menu:

Backlight: 14
Contrast: 90

Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 40

Picture Size: Screen Fit

3D submenu: 3D Autoview

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone: Darker

Color Space: Native 

White Balance All 25
10p White Balance: Off

Gamma: +1

Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options submenu:

Color Tone: Standard

HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
LED Motion Plus: On

System/ECO Solution:
ECO Sensor: Off

Ok, here we go again

Courtesy of "Garnoch" and "prsut" from the AVS forums. I've used these setings with Gamma at -2, Standard Colour tone and backlight at 14, sharpness I like around 35 too and AMP /eco sensor off.

10-27-12 STANDARD Update to counteract CE Dimming (whole screen dimming during dark scenes)
Picture Menu:

Picture Size: Screen Fit (16 x 9 for TV if you don't want possible data visible on top or bottom, this will slightly zoom & degrade picture though)

Color Space submenu:

White Balance submenu:

Picture Options submenu:

(Auto for DirecTV)

(Auto for DirecTV)

HDMI Black Level: Normal (If available, set to Low for DirecTV or other STBs if picture looks light and cloudy)

Auto Motion Plus: Clear (Off can be less smooth - other settings give more Soap Opera effect and can stutter picture - personal pref)
LED Motion Plus: Off (On is suppose to help with fast motion - I have yet to see it make a difference)

System/ECO Solution:

Tried these settings last night wasn't very keen on them I think its the warm2 setting I cannot get used to - switched that to "standard" dropped the brightness down to 47 and kept everything else - I guess I don't like the picture so bright

Tried these settings last night wasn't very keen on them I think its the warm2 setting I cannot get used to - switched that to "standard" dropped the brightness down to 47 and kept everything else - I guess I don't like the picture so bright

You do realise that the CE dimming will kick back in with your brightness at 47?

I'm working on my tweak a bit more today, looked good for some dark scenes but noticed some crush watching Dargon's Den

There's more settings here post #3506 if you want lower brightness and are not bothered about the dimming

Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread

Tweaked my settings again at the weekend and finally very happy and settled .... so thats it, no more fiddling :)

I will post when I get chance.

Just one thing ...

Those that set colour tone to Warm or Warm 2, whilst this does enhace the colours, I find it makes the whites go yellow so have this set to standard, which I believe gives the most accurate "truest" representation of the actual colours in real life.

Ok, here we go again

Picture Menu:

Color Space submenu:

White Balance submenu:

Picture Options submenu:

(Auto for DirecTV)

(Auto for DirecTV)

System/ECO Solution:

I give up :confused: :D I'm sticking with earlier settings.
I need to watch this TV before I'm old and grey and eyesight shot :laugh:

Tweaked my settings again at the weekend and finally very happy and settled .... so thats it, no more fiddling :)

You say that now. Look at my last post to arenaman :D

Just updated to latest F/W from USB stick.
Great I now have the small channel window on Freesat working as well as normal Aerial. in the HUB.
Just checked but not in the Guide still tho. Come on Samsung sort it out or is it a transmission thing ?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom