Samsung UE - B7020 owner's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done the firmware update that's on the Samsung site? Is it worth doing? Improved codec support?

I've done it but no idea what it does - anyone have any ideas or a resource that describes the update?

Would you guys say that this is the best LCD TV with a budget of £1300?

I'll be using for:

• Primarily for SD broadcasts
  • Occassional PS3 Gaming
  • Occasional Blu-Ray viewing
And is there any difference to the models that have all the weird "WWWXX" characters at the end?

Cheers.

No difference to models with WWWXX etc on the end, I happen to be impressed with SD especially the higher bit rate channels where the upscaler of the TV really gets a chance to shine.
I play COD4 on-line and having set Game Mode correctly think it's on a par with my previous Panasonic plasma (never used the Kuro for gaming), ie I only have myself to blame if I die not lag.
Obviously HD content is outstanding especially once you've tweaked your settings.
No idea about the best deal.
I really rate this tv and having had a Kuro, Panasonic, Sony Z4500 it stands up there with them all.
Take your pic, it is one of the better TVs out there, whether you think it the best for you, is down to you.

No difference to models with WWWXX etc on the end, I happen to be impressed with SD especially the higher bit rate channels where the upscaler of the TV really gets a chance to shine.
I play COD4 on-line and having set Game Mode correctly think it's on a par with my previous Panasonic plasma (never used the Kuro for gaming), ie I only have myself to blame if I die not lag.
Obviously HD content is outstanding especially once you've tweaked your settings.
No idea about the best deal.
I really rate this tv and having had a Kuro, Panasonic, Sony Z4500 it stands up there with them all.
Take your pic, it is one of the better TVs out there, whether you think it the best for you, is down to you.

Titan mate,

Thanks for the update bruv.

I placed an order for this set with 1staudiovisual last night but i'm about to cancel.

I've just enquired with a retailer and they have the B8000 due in May 12th and priced at £1380.00 inc. VAT and a 5 year warranty!!

That is an amazing price for the higher spec model :p

Last edited:
Titan mate,

Thanks for the update bruv.

I placed an order for this set with 1staudiovisual last night but i'm about to cancel.

I've just enquired with a retailer and they have the B8000 due in May 12th and priced at £1380.00 inc. VAT and a 5 year warranty!!

That is an amazing price for the higher spec model :p

Good effort, good luck with it, even if it's only a fraction better than the B7000 you've still got yourself a beauty of a set.

Good effort, good luck with it, even if it's only a fraction better than the B7000 you've still got yourself a beauty of a set.

Cheers man.

The beauty is that the lowest online pre-order price for the B8000 £1500+ with a 1 year warranty.

RGBDirect and loads of other places have it priced at £1700 (with 1 year warranty)

So to get it at £1379.00 with 5 years warranty is a huge plus.

Bring on May 12!!

I thought the LED TV's from Samsung all have a manufactures 3 year warranty...
I'm curious to know if the change to dimming effects the contrast levels and turns this TV into something smiler to a normal LCD TV's black levels.
I had the 7020 but sent it back as the dimming was annoying the hell out of me.
Does anyone know if the LED arrangement and panel between the 7020 and 8000 are the exact same or not..
This is my first HDTV purchase as I have been using a large monitor connected to Vista Media Center and I like to sound of these new HDTV's with a wireless media box as this makes them monitors, the new philips mentioned a few posts before sports this but does not use LED's, is that right?
Idealy I just want a 40+ monitor with exelent black levels, are these sets my best option or should I wait for the new LG/Tosh etc or is there any better monitor screens to choose from?
Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

i am thinking of getting it today from jl bluewater. they priced matched with richersound :clap:

Cheers man.

The beauty is that the lowest online pre-order price for the B8000 £1500+ with a 1 year warranty.

RGBDirect and loads of other places have it priced at £1700 (with 1 year warranty)

So to get it at £1379.00 with 5 years warranty is a huge plus.

Bring on May 12!!

who did you get it from?

Our 46B7020 arrived today. So far I'm quite impressed.

Tuned in the Freeview channels as part of the initial setup and have to say the upscaling was impressive. Blew away the 37" wxga Toshiba it replaced, which was suprising given this is a much larger 1080p panel.

Sky HD and BD look amazing as expected after seeing the HD demo's instore.

Only problem is I can't stand the time taken when the Sky box switches between HD and SD channels. So I'm left with the dilema of wether to put up with that, or set the box to upscale thereby wasting the Samsungs upscaling abilities.

I've played around with the picture settings, but reverted back to defaults for now, as I like to go through them in a methodical manner. Therefore will wait untill the weekend when I have more time. Only thing I've changed so far is 100hz to Clear mode, as it really bugged the GF in standard. Haven't noticed the Dynamic Backlight issue so far, although have been looking out for it.

Looking forward to trying KillZone 2, which arrived last week but I haven't had the chance to play it. The new TV is a great excuse to make some time now :)

All in all, happy so far.

5To1 - Let me know what gaming is like on your PS3

Martin D - Will let you know on May 12th mate.

Don't know if this is any help, but I saw this comment on the HDTV test site under the recent review of the B7000 / 7020:

"I changed a bit in the Service menu. Under Advanced (with code 0000) you can change the ‘CE Dimming “for” Standard “&” Movie “to” OFF “. Now it works as we expected it to do in the first place! Being able to turn off dynamic contrast, when you want both in the Standard & Movie mode. Seems to be set separately for each input, so change each at a time!"
For some reason this doesn't seem to work on my UE46B7000. When I click on Advanced in the Service Menu nothing happens, even tried blindly typing 0000 with Advanced highlighted hoping the 'CE Dimming' box would appear, doesn't work either. Am I overlooking something?

For some reason this doesn't seem to work on my UE46B7000. When I click on Advanced in the Service Menu nothing happens, even tried blindly typing 0000 with Advanced highlighted hoping the 'CE Dimming' box would appear, doesn't work either. Am I overlooking something?
It should work the way you are doing it by highlighting ADVANCED then pressing 0 0 0 0, try pausing for a second between each 0.
Hope you sort it anyway.

It should work the way you are doing it by highlighting ADVANCED then pressing 0 0 0 0, try pausing for a second between each 0.
Hope you sort it anyway.

Thanks, I had to pause a few seconds between each 0 :) Also I noticed there was a Contrast Dimming option at CE Dimming that was already turned off.

FYI: Even without changing any settings in the Service Menu, your settings will all be reset to Dynamic anyhow, I noticed this from my previous visits.

Urg, I cant get this at all... How do you access the service menu?

I press menu" button, the "picture" and there is an "advanced" section here. When I highlight advanced, or go into advanced and enter the 0 0 0 0 code (with pauses) I just get a "not available" message on screen? Help?

Urg, I cant get this at all... How do you access the service menu?

I press menu" button, the "picture" and there is an "advanced" section here. When I highlight advanced, or go into advanced and enter the 0 0 0 0 code (with pauses) I just get a "not available" message on screen? Help?

Hi,

Following on from the difficult to understand HDtvtest post (for me anyway), here's how I defeated the auto-dimming; hopefully this is clear and easy to follow.

Put the tv in standby mode, then press on the remote: INFO then MENU then MUTE and then POWER to put the TV on again. The TV will now start up and the service menu will apear on the left.

Scroll down to Advanced then press the numerals 0000 on the remote.
You will see a box with CE DIMMING in the second or third column along (there are lots of boxes), scroll (you cannot jump to it) to it then click ENTER (on the remote).
Then click on Standard or Movie then go left or right to select on or off.

Then power off the tv. When you start it up again, the picture settings will revert to default, so you'll need to record your settings before attempting this.

And there you have it, no auto-dimming. Beware messing around in the service menu though; unless you know what you're doing just jump in and out following the instructions above.

Hope that helps.

Is there anyway to switch sources with the peble remote?

If there was it would be perfect for me, as powering on and switchin sources is all I need.

I have a surround sound system, which the Sky remote is currently programmed to control. Therefore can't program the Sky remote for the TV.

Got mine yesterday, and it's made in Slovakia, coming from Samsung 32R78, the picture is stunning, there is no indication on what type panels, is it a way to tell?

Same backlight dimming as the 32r78, but it's fine after disabling.

So according to HDTVTEST if you disable the dimming feature this set is no better than the 650 at black levels, so save yourself some cash and get the 750.

"Because of the presence of auto-dimming, it’s only fair that we qualify our black level figures with the Average Picture Levels (APLs) under which they are measured. On a totally black screen (video black), the Samsung UE40B7000’s calibrated black level – enhanced by auto-dimming – was measured at 0.01 cd/m2, a superb figure that is beaten only by 9G Pioneer Kuro plasmas (e.g. the PDP-LX5090) and Samsung local-dimming LED-backlit LCD TVs like the F96, A786 and A956 series. On an ANSI checkerboard test pattern, we recorded a still excellent 0.06 cd/m2.
In [Game Mode] where auto-dimming is disabled by switching off [Dynamic Contrast], calibrated black level was 0.04 cd/m2, matching that measured on the CCFL-backlit LE40B650 LCD TV."

I think we have a little longer to wait before LED TV's come into their own, maybe when they have 1000's of zones instead of the paltry 128 of the 9000 series and the new LG LED sets...
It's a shame as I have been waiting for a decent upgrade to my monitor and i thought LED was the way forward, I may order the 750 or wait a little longer for the other manufactures to get there 2009 sets out the door.

Just bought a 7020 and can't seem to get the settings right. There seems to be a "distortion" which sometimes appears around people relative to their backgrounds as they move around. For want of a better description it's like the camoflage effect around the alien in Predator.Sorry if it's obvious to correct but I'm a complete novice at this.:)

Is there going to be a 32" or 37" version?

If not, can anyone recommend a similarly slim TV?

thanks

Just bought a 7020 and can't seem to get the settings right. There seems to be a "distortion" which sometimes appears around people relative to their backgrounds as they move around. For want of a better description it's like the camoflage effect around the alien in Predator.Sorry if it's obvious to correct but I'm a complete novice at this.:)

The effect you are seeing is caused by the 100Hz Motion Plus. In exchange for smoother motion, you will see artefacts such as the ones you are seeing. Have a play with the 100Hz Motion Plus settings to minimise the problem.

Hi

Something annoyes me with the product numbers from the Samsung LED-LCDs you have mentioned here...I want to buy a 32" and for the 7series on the official Samsung website there are the product names UE(size)B7000 / UE(size)B7090 so no B7020 :confused: ..I can not imagine that the cause is that I have looked on the German version of the official Samsung website.

Greetings and a nice day
-Samier-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom