Samsung UBD-M9500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

and comes with Planet Earth 2 in the box (UHD & BD versions)

and comes with Planet Earth 2 in the box (UHD & BD versions)
It does come with Planet Earth II although that's only for certain retailers and I believe their price is higher. The cheapest price appears to be £394 on Amazon but I don't believe that includes Planet Earth II.

I have many region A BluRays so need a multizone player. Can any of the cheaper models be made multizone or have I to buy the more expensive Oppo?

Martin

It's still pretty ugly though :(

No Dolby Vision. No 3D bluray. No multi-region. Recommended for what? Curved cake stand perhaps? :)

No Dolby Vision. No 3D bluray. No multi-region. Recommended for what? Curved cake stand perhaps? :)
No players aside from the Oppos are capable of being modified for multi-region and none are multi-region out of the box, so I don't really understand that statement. Only the Oppos and the LG player support Dolby Vision, so again that's most players that don't. The loss of 3D support is a shame but probably a moot point considering that if you're buying the M9500 to go with your new 2017 4K HDR TV it won't support 3D either.

Well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I actually think the M9500 is a rather attractive design.
Fair do Steve, I guess I'm a little old fashioned and like my AV gear with nice square aesthetics. Bring back the days when everything was black brushed aluminium and chunky silver round feet :)

Fair do Steve, I guess I'm a little old fashioned and like my AV gear with nice square aesthetics. Bring back the days when everything was black brushed aluminium and chunky silver round feet :)
I am partial to a big black chunky bit of kit in the home cinema but in the lounge I think the M9500 cuts a shapely curve.

I think it looks nice. The 3D is a bit of a weird one I suppose. Yes this years TV's don't have 3D but it rules me out as a customer straight away as I have a 3D OLED so would want a player that supports it.

No players aside from the Oppos are capable of being modified for multi-region and none are multi-region out of the box, so I don't really understand that statement. Only the Oppos and the LG player support Dolby Vision, so again that's most players that don't. The loss of 3D support is a shame but probably a moot point considering that if you're buying the M9500 to go with your new 2017 4K HDR TV it won't support 3D either.
Last I looked at the cinema, 3D and Dolby Vision HDR are well and truly active so as an advocate of trying to replicate what I experience at the cinema (within budget constraints of course) I find that having the market tell me what I can't have from the cinema to be unacceptable. I watched Jungle Book 3D bluray the other night and have to say I think the 3D was actually better than what I experienced at the cinema. :)

The side USB .. no good in cabinets that usually have good ventilation top/bottom but not the width...

The side USB .. no good in cabinets that usually have good ventilation top/bottom but not the width...
That is what i was thinking.

When is Pioneer, Marantz, Denon going to jump onboard?
Samsung don't turn me on with the silly curved design, Oppo is out of my pay grade and Panasonic seems to a flooded the market with loads of 4k players.

Last I looked at the cinema, 3D and Dolby Vision HDR are well and truly active so as an advocate of trying to replicate what I experience at the cinema (within budget constraints of course) I find that having the market tell me what I can't have from the cinema to be unacceptable. I watched Jungle Book 3D bluray the other night and have to say I think the 3D was actually better than what I experienced at the cinema. :)
Can't argue with you about The Jungle Book, amazing 3D and actually shot natively in 3D as well which makes a nice change. Only Transformers was shot natively this year, all the other live action 3D movies are post conversions which don't count in my book. Sadly there are currently no Dolby Vision screens in the UK but I was lucky enough to see some of The Jungle Book in 3D with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision at Dolby's London HQ and it looked incredible.

When is Pioneer, Marantz, Denon going to jump onboard?
Samsung don't turn me on with the silly curved design, Oppo is out of my pay grade and Panasonic seems to a flooded the market with loads of 4k players.

I always look forward to the reviews, and this one is yet another another good read. :)

+1 For Pioneer btw.

Can't argue with you about The Jungle Book, amazing 3D and actually shot natively in 3D as well which makes a nice change. Only Transformers was shot natively this year, all the other live action 3D movies are post conversions which don't count in my book. Sadly there are currently no Dolby Vision screens in the UK but I was lucky enough to see some of The Jungle Book in 3D with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision at Dolby's London HQ and it looked incredible.
Where do we learn where a film was shot in 3D or post converted? Like yourself I prefer to only watch the 3D versions when they were made that way. As for Dolby Vision, I am still waiting on a firmware upgrade for my AV receiver before I start exploring that but I am looking forward to it.

It's sad but almost inevitable that manufacturers will drop 3D from spinners as they have dropped it from their display line up now.

Would be nice if said manufacturers just added 3D to their flagship models in 2018 and beyond as I can see many the enthusiast sticking to the 2016 displays ( and spinners ) like glue.

It seams there is nothing special and neither wrong with this player, I can simply see you'd choose a cheap player or want DV or SACD.

It's sad but almost inevitable that manufacturers will drop 3D from spinners as they have dropped it from their display line up now.

Would be nice if said manufacturers just added 3D to their flagship models in 2018 and beyond as I can see many the enthusiast sticking to the 2016 displays ( and spinners ) like glue.
We're starting to see 3D getting dropped from projectors too, so I think its days really are numbered as a domestic format.

Where do we learn where a film was shot in 3D or post converted? Like yourself I prefer to only watch the 3D versions when they were made that way. As for Dolby Vision, I am still waiting on a firmware upgrade for my AV receiver before I start exploring that but I am looking forward to it.
I usually check the technical specs in IMDB but sadly these days the chances are that the film is a post conversion. About the only live action native 3D films I can think of recently have been Billy Lynn, Transformers, X-Men, The Hobbit and The Jungle Book. Since you have an E6, the LG UP970 would seem the obvious choice of player.

We're starting to see 3D getting dropped from projectors too, so I think its days really are numbered as a domestic format.

Wow didn't realise it had gone that far :eek:. Wonder how long before studio's/publishers drop it on disc format :(. 3D might just end up a Cinema only experience .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom