Question Samsung UBD-K8500 region free advice

happychappy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

After setting up my Samsung UBD-K8500 DVD player its suddenly occurred to me that it won't play reg1 DVDs, I have tried to hack the machine to reg 0 but gave been unsuccessful with this advice:-

DVD Region Hack for SAMSUNG UBD-K8500/XU

Does anyone on here know if what I would like to do can actually be done?

I understand the multi region capability would, most likey, be for DVDs only and not Blu Rays/UHD discs (I believe UHD discs to be region free ATM?) but as I have quite a few rare and music reg 1 DVDs I still wish to be able to play them.

I would love the answer to be a yes and a trusted and used link to a hack would be the ideal soloution, however I would also be up for a chip change (if that's what it's called these days?) if the cost was not prohibitive.

Thanks

After setting up my Samsung UBD-K8500 DVD player its suddenly occurred to me that it won't play reg1 DVDs, I have tried to hack the machine to reg 0 but gave been unsuccessful with this advice:-
I did that a while back, and it did actually work. However, I did program the steps into my Harmony remote so it ran as a macro rather than having to press all the buttons myself. This worked on an Australian version of the machine.

Perhaps it works on certain region players and not others?

Has anyone successfully managed to zero region a UK version for DVDs?

The zero region Blu Ray is not so important for me as I have none.

I believe Multi Region Magic are reliable enough, and yes, they are in Peterborough.

Yes, but that's for a full BD & DVD mod - which is a hardware modification, hence the price.
The modification for this unit allows you to switch between Blu-Ray Regions A, B & C using your exiting remote control, Regular DVD's are selected automatically 1-6 , All RCE Compatible.
(my bolding). Even units sold pre-modified carry a premium of £100-£150 vs unmodded boxes and that's typical of suppliers in general.

It doesn't appear that mrm offers a DVD-only mod for Samsungs; possibly that's because it can be simply "hacked" using some sequence of remote commands.

Sadly, the words, simply and hacked don't seem to sit well with each other in my experience. :laugh:

I did that a while back, and it did actually work. However, I did program the steps into my Harmony remote so it ran as a macro rather than having to press all the buttons myself. This worked on an Australian version of the machine.
How can contact you?

How can contact you?
That was a while back and I no longer have the machine, I’ve since upgraded to a Panasonic. I can’t even remember where I got the instructions from now.

I tried and tried to get a hack for mine in the UK (buying tv remotes) but non of the methods worked. So in the end I sent my unit to www.mrmdvd.com who did a chip mod and now it plays anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom