Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

I sometimes get sync issue, quick fix is to pause and resume which clears the problem.
Thanks!
Since you are already a Samsung UHD owner, what happens if you try to play a 4K bluray on this UHD player but connected to a 1080 display? Does the picture go blank or will it downscale to 1080?

Thanks!
Since you are already a Samsung UHD owner, what happens if you try to play a 4K bluray on this UHD player but connected to a 1080 display? Does the picture go blank or will it downscale to 1080?
Down scales, leave the picture res setting in auto.

Last edited:
Down scales, leave the picture rest setting in auto.
I am basically getting the Samsung UHD player for free (long story, but i got a past credit due from HHGregg.com for $500).
Since my projectors only display in 1080, I ordered this from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Acer B286HK ymjdpprz 28-inch UHD 4K2K (3840 x 2160) Widescreen Display with ErgoStand: Computers & Accessories
So the Samsung UHD palyer could be used for both 1080 with my standard HD projectors and with this UHD Acer monitor for 4K content...Sounds like a good idea?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Down scales, leave the picture res setting in auto.
Then why does the Revenant 4K include both the 4K disc and the regular bluray disc if the player can downscale??

Then why does the Revenant 4K include both the 4K disc and the regular bluray disc if the player can downscale??
The extras wouldn't fit on the Ultra HD disc and the Bluray disc can still be used on a regular Bluray player elsewhere in the house.

Not sure if should be on Panasonic review, but contacted Panasonic on connecting to Projector non 4k and 4k HDR tv. They replied following:

Following our phone conversation, I would inform you that I have checked the connections of the DMP-UB900 unit. Regarding the connections that you would like to have, please find below the ideal setup for all of your units:
- DMP-UB900 connected to the television using an HDMI cable (HDMI Main port from the back of the player)
- DMP-UB900 connected to the projector using an HDMI cable (HDMI Sub port from the back of the player)
- DMP-UB900 connected to the sound system using an optical cable (Digital Audio Out port); you also have the possibility of connecting the player to the sound system by using the Red & White cables (Audio Out ports)
However, if the sound system does not allow you to use an optical cable or the red/white connections, you are able to use the HDMI Sub port from the player. Depending on what unit you need to use at a certain time, this HDMI Sub port would be shared by the projector and the sound system.​

Basically avoids splitter I would need with Samsung, closes gap in price a bit as I suspect splitter would cost me circa £100. Are there any if you have 2 4k displays, or do you need to unplug each time?

Kevin

So far the Samsung seems a lot more user-friendly than the Panasonic...
Order Submitted:)

No Geoff, I ran some noise reduction tests I've got (basically images that are deliberately noisy) and the noise was there, so it looks as though Samsung have got out of their habit of introducing backdoor noise reduction.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What noise are you talkin about? I owned a Samsung 7500 and 6500 and they were both really quiet...My AirCondition unit is louder than that:)
Not actual audible noise, we're talking about video noise in the picture. So for example if a film has film grain in the image, you don't want a noise reduction feature to remove it and smooth out the image.

Not actual audible noise, we're talking about video noise in the picture. So for example if a film has film grain in the image, you don't want a noise reduction feature to remove it and smooth out the image.
i thought he was referring to the noise of the disc spinning when the bluray device is searching for a particular place or scene

just been to my local richer sounds they got 2 players yesterday one for demo and the other as sold already all the shops got the same quantity there all gone ....on the plus note i got a demo looked amazing

just been to my local richer sounds they got 2 players yesterday one for demo and the other as sold already all the shops got the same quantity there all gone ....on the plus note i got a demo looked amazing
what movie was the demo?

Ive watched martian and enders game so far.

Martian had slight banding fo second on the sky which i think has bee mentioned before.

Enders game looked great but the movie is pants.

I have fantastic four, kingsman and exodus to watch.

Ive watched martian and enders game so far.

Martian had slight banding fo second on the sky which i think has bee mentioned before.

Enders game looked great but the movie is pants.

I have fantastic four, kingsman and exodus to watch.
So Martian 4k not recommended as a 4k demo to play on my soon to be Samsung player?

So Martian 4k not recommended as a 4k demo to play on my soon to be Samsung player?
As a demo its very good just noticed some banding inthe red sky twice. Lasted a couple of seconds so no biggy

As a demo its very good just noticed some banding inthe red sky twice. Lasted a couple of seconds so no biggy
Well I want to impress wife and few friends...The Peanuts 4K hasnt been mentioned[emoji4]

Hi Steve, I have got this Samsung hooked up to my Panasonic OLED and the picture looks very dark, any ideas? Cheers.

Well I want to impress wife and few friends...The Peanuts 4K hasnt been mentioned[emoji4]
The best demo disc is Smurfs 2, but I'm not sure you'll impress them with the film itself! :rotfl:

Hi Steve, I have got this Samsung hooked up to my Panasonic OLED and the picture looks very dark, any ideas? Cheers.
Change the player to dynamic mode. To do this, press Tools while a disc is playing and go to Picture Options.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom