Samsung UA65ru7100wxxy No DTS Decoder Help with Logitech Z906

vkcpolice

Novice Member
Hi All i recently purchased a Logitech z906 Surround Sound Speaker set for my tv.
i have a heap of movies on my hdd that i ripped from my bluray/dvd collection these movies are coded in DTS
im trying to play them through my Nvidia shield that does not have a optical output.
sadly my only way to get optical out of the nvidia shield is by running the HDMI into the tv and using the tv's optical output but my tv does not support DTS Decoding.
How can i hook up the Nvidia Shield to these speakers.
i know that DTS is a very old standard but these are the only speakers i could afford.
i have seen little boxes on ebay that strip the audio from the hdmi signal to optical but i can surely bet these will not allow 4k pass through.
any help would be awesome thx

dante01

Distinguished Member
If unable to connect the Shield directly to the surround sound system via optical or HDMI then you would be able to accesss DTS via that soundsystem, not without buying or using a TV that supports DTS. The only other option would be to buy an AV receiver and speakers or a sounndbar that include HDMI passthrough for the video.

DTS is still as important today as it always has been and it is not a legacy format. Studios still use it to encode disc releases with. THe greed of the TV manufactures not will to pat DTS the required licensing is only matched by their stupidity.

If wanting an HDMI audio extractor able to passthrough 4K UHD video content then there are such devices. Here's one:

I've not tested or tried it or any similar device though.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom