samsung UA46D7000 lightning struck

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by zulu989, Mar 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. zulu989

zulu989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all

I have a 46 inch samsung 3D LED tv that got struck by lightning.
    It got sent in for repairs but they said the PSU was bad and another board.
    They changed the power board and said the tv would work but certain features wouldnt if i didnt change the other board.

so right now i still have the faulty power board in and didnt get it repaired because insurance was claimed since it was lightning that struck it. The whole house got hit with R233 000 worth of electronic damages. This is my bosses tv that was given to me to try and fix.

I opened the tv and one of the HDMI ports has a little black spot on it, im guessing that was the thing they said wouldnt work but all the other features would. The PSU has no noticeable marks or blown caps, i tested the 2 fuses and they are good. im gonna have another look at it now as i only saw it briefly at work but im wondering what else i could do to check things on the PSU. When the power is on the tv power light blinks twice then few seconds later does the same for a while.

any help would be great guys

UA46D7000 : )

I can send pics or post if needed

2. zulu989

zulu989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone? the relays click on then off then on........i did find 2 diodes with no writing on them that are open circuit????

3. zulu989

zulu989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i just replaced the power board and its doing the same thing!! relays are clicking and power led is flashing twice

4. zulu989

zulu989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sooooo....what i decided to do was take the powerboard and main board from another 40inch samsung lcd that i have and connect it to the tcon of the 46 inch LED ( the power supply is working so it was powering the leds only) and the picture on the panel came on ( but upside down ) lol. atleast my tcon and panel are good..i just ordered a new mainboard for the 46 and then it will be perfect.

but !!! on the 40 inch LCD, the picture was coming out with ghosting and like a negative photo. I took my laptop and connected it via vga and used my graphics controller to adjust the picture and i can get rid of the ghosting by increasing the brightness and i can almost get the picture right but its very hazy ( white )

i then deicided to mess with the tcon since i confirmed that the psu and mainboard were not at fault. if I unclipped the ribbons from the tcon to the panel and moved them around, i could get a perfect picture besides having the one half of the screen a tad bit lighter in color. If i clamped the ribbons down then the problem came back. I continued this but suddenly had some sparking on the ribbons on the tcon side :/
    At first it was ok, i could still get the picture perfect. instead of stopping, i continued to mess around and there were more sparks lol but this time the picture went white and if i turn the tv off then on, its white but the picture is slightly visible. And i mean slightly. What could the problem have been before and what might it be now ?

5. zulu989

zulu989
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I dunno why no one decides to comment on anything here, but ive replaced the mainboard and the tv works.

Now the tv is a ua46D7000 but if i go to menu then it says ua55D7000. Im guessing thats just what was saved on the mainboard.

Problem im having now is that the wifi card is not being picked up by the tv. If I go to network settings and setup wireless it says that no dongle is present. is there some sort of updating i have to do to the firmware to pick up the internal wifi card since its a new mainboard?