Samsung U800 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by nwpsys, Feb 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't see one of these, so I thought I would get one started ( although I have to admit is a poorly disguised attempt to rustle up some help as well ) ;)

Had this phone on a T-Mobile contract for a few days now, and after only ever having Nokia phones I am starting to overcome the culture shock.

No show-stoppers that are getting me to think about returning it, but contact sync is proving my biggest bug-bear to date.

Not even contemplating copying the contacts from my old phone onto the SIM, I tried the import function in Samsung PC Studio. After running the Live Update I am on version 3.2.2 HG5. However, even with the simplest of .csv files and using the field mapping option, nothing ever gets imported. No errors, just no contacts ever appear. I tried deselecting all the fields I didn't have in my CSV, but this made no difference. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on getting this working.

Another confusion is the tech specs on the phone mention is supports SYNCML which would mean I could use it with my GooSync account, but I can't find the setup function for this anywhere on the device. I guess there must be different levels of SYNCML ??

As a side note, I noticed that version PC Studio 3.2.2 HF2 is available for download, but a wild guess is that this is an older version ? Happy to be corrected.

I feel this is a good phone, but they certainly don't make it easy for you to get to stuff quickly. As far as I can tell, you just get 4 shortcuts on the direction pad, but this is pretty weak if that is the case, especially as the phone understands press and press-and-hold on the keys. Please someone tell me I have missed something here.

GMail For Mobile java app works fine apart from you can't txt straight from a contact, even though you can trigger a call successfully. Hopefully this could get fixed in future firmware as GMail errors with "The URL protocol is undefined".

Opera Mini has worked without any issues so far, and I am currently testing some Twitter clients.

Happy to bounce ideas and help around with fellow users.

Cheers,

nwpsys