Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor user review

VEGACORTEZ

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE -
Updated better quality pixperan photo in new post below

Received mine yesterday and am very pleased with it. The stand is just the right height for my viewing position which is great and the monitor has a nice joystick on the back for the OSD adjustments. Hope the review is of use to you guys.

I'll start off with my calibaration settings and results. I calibrated using an i1 display pro and HCFR using 1080p RGB full range test blu-ray patterns via a PS3. I have adjusted all my displays and TV's this way before.

Brightness - 30
Contrast - 60
Sharpness - 60
Game mode - off
Magic bright - custom
Magic angle - off
Colour - R 63 G 50 B 51
Colour tone - custom
Gamma - mode 1
RGB range - N/A when using the PC over displayport

Eco saving - off
PC/AV mode - set to PC

The greyscale ended up like this but could not be made any better than this it appears.
Greyscale 4k.JPG

The gamma after calibration (aiming for 2.2 gamma)
Gamma 4k.JPG

Colour (REC709 HD colour space)
Colours 4k.JPG

As this is a TN panel I am very pleased with the results and the panel manages to not have too much of an issue with vertical viewing angles when sat dead on the middle at eye level from 2ft back wherein the fullscreen light greys don't show a warm tint at the top too much and a lot colder at the bottom. It only very slight and not as bad as the Benq new 27" Z series gaming monitors.
These settings achieve 136cdm2 whites and 0.189cdm2 blacks.
I did not lower the backlight (brightness) further as 30 is the tipping point to avoid PWM, any lower and it's shows up easily on moving images, 30 and above and it's free of PWM.
Contrast 60 avoided bleaching and discolouration of top end white shades and helped bring the gamma in line a bit. Contrast ratio ended up at 719:1 which is a good result. It could be higher if you are not as fussed about PWM or gamma accuracy at the high end or slight white discolouration by raising contrast to 70 and dropping the brightness.

Out of the box in standard or custom with brightness 30, contrast 70, colour at normal mid setting and gamma mode 1 the results were still good with greyscale having more blue and less red but looking decent and the gamma was still good at circa 2.2 ish. The colours were not as accurate as red was less saturated and magenta was off hue as well as a few other things but before I calibrated I was still impressed on games and most would not notice or need calibration.

Response times (using the faster mid setting) -

The monitor is not as fast as the best TN panels like Benq Z series and it is on par with a decent IPS I would say. It has no overshoot problems at all on this setting but there is some slight ghosting. I found that at 4k with lower frame rates that this would never be an issue anyway but even at 60 fps it still is great and does not become an issue at all. It would have been nice if Samsung had pushed the OD further or made more OD settings but it is a not a huge problem for this particular monitor. Here are a few images (sorry about the quality) to show some ghosting.

Pixperan car test 2.png

Cyan UFO.png

Grey UFO.png

Yellow UFO.png

Green UFO.png

Input Lag -

I can't measure 4k input lag but it felt similar to my 1440p IIyama which is around the 20ms mark using SMTT 2.0. It seems to have the usual range of lag as most brand 1440p monitors.

I did measure 1080p input lag using the Leo Bodnar device and that came in at an average across all 3 measurements at 26.93ms one time and it fluctuated another time to 28.8ms. Obviously the SMTT and Bodnar measure input lag differently and can't be cross correlated but you can compare against other monitors measured using the respective ways.

For comparison the IIyama 1440p measures at 1080p on the Bodnar at 26ms on average and the 27" Benq Z series measures 10.5ms on average.

I found the input lag to be fine and not a problem even at lower frame rates at 4k as long as I use triple buffering or v-sync off.

TN panel -

I seems to be a very good TN panel and uses the BGR pixel layout so clear type in windows 7 had to be amended. It has the usual TN viewing issues compared to IPS but I felt that the flat 2.2 gamma helped the top and bottom of the screen screen appear not too dark or washed out and in general head on it is excellent. Certainly the Benq 27" Z gaming monitor did not achieve flat 2.2 gamma and the colour temp tint differences from the top compared to the bottom were quite annoying after greyscale calibration so I had to boost blue along the range to remove this issue, although it did track greyscale perfectly though beforehand. Colours are great on both TN's but the Samsung is slightly better and can keep that accuracy as I did not need to change the greyscale to be less accurate to avoid annoying tints of grey as described.

The coating is light haze and does not look too grainy but up close you can see it is not glossy like the IIyama 1440p. It does not reflect at all really and is okay for brighter rooms.

The panel has zero backlight bleed or clouding or banding and I have not spotted any dead pixels (not that I could spot at any rate)

Scaling -

Using blu-ray test discs at 1080p and 720p resolution the scaling is pretty good but not perfect. 1080p is interpolated a bit and has some minor ringing artifacts but is pretty good, 720p the same.
I even tried some PS3 and Wii U games and they look good but I prefer the IIyama which doubles 720p very nice and clear. All in all a good result but really this monitor is for 4k. I would have tested the PS4 but I have had two go wrong on me so I have got a refund now and got this monitor to try 4k PC gaming.

4k PC gaming -

My rig uses an i5 3570k OC at 4.2ghz with 8gb ram and a palit GTX 780 super Jetstream 3GB vram (equates to about original GTX titan performance) I am using a WD caviar black HD, no SSD at this time.

I usually avoid MSAA and use injector SMAA if I can or in game SMAA. I like to game at max settings usually. I tried the following games but only measured two games with fraps (crisis 3 and watch dogs) the rest I eyeballed the framerates. Depending on the levels I had a look at fps could vary. But using 1 GPU the results were great and surpassed my expectations. This is a rough guide only.

Grid 2 - max settings at MSAA x2 with shadows at high v-sync on - in the 50's fps range

Hitman absolution - AA off using injector SMAA at low max settings but shadows lowered one v-sync on - 40's and 50's fps

Tomb Raider 2013 - AA off using injector SMAA low at max settings but shadows lowered one and tress FX off v-sync on - in the 40's and 50's

COD ghosts - SMAA in game and max settings - 40's - 50's

Metro Last Light - max settings AA off - 30fps range

Sonic racing transformed - injector SMAA low max settings with motion blur etc off - 60fps lock

Thief - no AA in game and max settings - 30's 40's - 50's

Far cry 3 - max settings - 30's - 40's

Assassins Creed 4 - SMAA in game max settings but god rays low and shadows on non soft high variant (not updated with Nvidia PhysX patch though) 30fps with a few dips slightly under

Watch dogs (fraps) - ultra textures and max settings no AA - 30fps with slight dips to late twenties, SMAA drops it to 25fps (the Ubisoft patch which hopefully improve performance a bit)

Splinter cell Blacklist - SMAA injector and pretty much max settings 30'sfps range

Max payne 3 - max settings SMAA injector low, SSAO used - 30's - 40's

Crysis 3 (fraps) - max settings motion blur off SMAA low in game - welcome to the jungle grassy areas - 20-22 fps and changed to - textures very high with high preset SMAA low 28-30fps

I also got 60fps on some 3d indie titles as well like "The last tinker: city of colours"

I can run most of these games but not all at a locked 60fps at 1440p but 4k does offer less jaggies and the detail in the distance is more refined and I am happy with 30fps or above with v-sync triple buffering so it is a nice upgrade. I have not ran into any vram issues with my 3GB at the moment.

Windows 7 scaling -

Using 150% zoom on fonts makes the desktop crisp and with nice size desktop icons.

Overall I am very pleased with this 4k monitor and recommend them. I also have no issue running it at 4k60hz with audio over a 5m quality display port cable.

I hope you found this review useful.

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for your review mate, saw you posted this on OCUK and picked one up :)

Have now decided to play all games without AA as from my 22 inch seating distance games look brilliant and jaggies are extremely small and hardly an issue, you just don't see them to any degree if at all. The extra cost of AA in fps is not worth it as at 4k every frame counts. High AA basically can make stuff look absolutely perfect but at a high cost.

An update on fps on crysis 3 which is the most taxing game on PC i reckon. Using no AA very high textures and the high preset with motion blur off and AFx16 with v-sync on during the welcome to the jungle level beginning with grassy sections i am pulling a 30fps min and fluctuating into the mid to late 30's. Very playable indeed for such a taxing game at 4k with the still excellent high preset.
As i am only running 1 GPU this is fantastic and plays great using a 360 controller as well.

Thought i would post what displayport cable i am using as some people with various 4k monitors are having issues. As you know i am using a 5m displayport which was thought not possible by some people. I got it from amazon and the make is "cables4all". If you search amazon with "displayport cables 4 all" you should find there deluxe leads at various lengths. They are gold plated, displayport 1.2 etc etc and it is only ÂŁ10.01 for the 5m version. I also own a 3m version for another display.

UPDATE -
Updated better quality pixperan photo in new post below

Received mine yesterday and am very pleased with it. The stand is just the right height for my viewing position which is great and the monitor has a nice joystick on the back for the OSD adjustments. Hope the review is of use to you guys.

I'll start off with my calibaration settings and results. I calibrated using an i1 display pro and HCFR using 1080p RGB full range test blu-ray patterns via a PS3. I have adjusted all my displays and TV's this way before.

Brightness - 30
Contrast - 60
Sharpness - 60
Game mode - off
Magic bright - custom
Magic angle - off
Colour - R 63 G 50 B 51
Colour tone - custom
Gamma - mode 1
RGB range - N/A when using the PC over displayport

Eco saving - off
PC/AV mode - set to PC

The greyscale ended up like this but could not be made any better than this it appears.
View attachment 487443

The gamma after calibration (aiming for 2.2 gamma)
View attachment 487444

Colour (REC709 HD colour space)
View attachment 487446

As this is a TN panel I am very pleased with the results and the panel manages to not have too much of an issue with vertical viewing angles when sat dead on the middle at eye level from 2ft back wherein the fullscreen light greys don't show a warm tint at the top too much and a lot colder at the bottom. It only very slight and not as bad as the Benq new 27" Z series gaming monitors.
These settings achieve 136cdm2 whites and 0.189cdm2 blacks.
I did not lower the backlight (brightness) further as 30 is the tipping point to avoid PWM, any lower and it's shows up easily on moving images, 30 and above and it's free of PWM.
Contrast 60 avoided bleaching and discolouration of top end white shades and helped bring the gamma in line a bit. Contrast ratio ended up at 719:1 which is a good result. It could be higher if you are not as fussed about PWM or gamma accuracy at the high end or slight white discolouration by raising contrast to 70 and dropping the brightness.

Out of the box in standard or custom with brightness 30, contrast 70, colour at normal mid setting and gamma mode 1 the results were still good with greyscale having more blue and less red but looking decent and the gamma was still good at circa 2.2 ish. The colours were not as accurate as red was less saturated and magenta was off hue as well as a few other things but before I calibrated I was still impressed on games and most would not notice or need calibration.

Response times (using the faster mid setting) -

The monitor is not as fast as the best TN panels like Benq Z series and it is on par with a decent IPS I would say. It has no overshoot problems at all on this setting but there is some slight ghosting. I found that at 4k with lower frame rates that this would never be an issue anyway but even at 60 fps it still is great and does not become an issue at all. It would have been nice if Samsung had pushed the OD further or made more OD settings but it is a not a huge problem for this particular monitor. Here are a few images (sorry about the quality) to show some ghosting.

View attachment 487454

View attachment 487455

View attachment 487458

View attachment 487460

View attachment 487462

Input Lag -

I can't measure 4k input lag but it felt similar to my 1440p IIyama which is around the 20ms mark using SMTT 2.0. It seems to have the usual range of lag as most brand 1440p monitors.

I did measure 1080p input lag using the Leo Bodnar device and that came in at an average across all 3 measurements at 26.93ms one time and it fluctuated another time to 28.8ms. Obviously the SMTT and Bodnar measure input lag differently and can't be cross correlated but you can compare against other monitors measured using the respective ways.

For comparison the IIyama 1440p measures at 1080p on the Bodnar at 26ms on average and the 27" Benq Z series measures 10.5ms on average.

I found the input lag to be fine and not a problem even at lower frame rates at 4k as long as I use triple buffering or v-sync off.

TN panel -

I seems to be a very good TN panel and uses the BGR pixel layout so clear type in windows 7 had to be amended. It has the usual TN viewing issues compared to IPS but I felt that the flat 2.2 gamma helped the top and bottom of the screen screen appear not too dark or washed out and in general head on it is excellent. Certainly the Benq 27" Z gaming monitor did not achieve flat 2.2 gamma and the colour temp tint differences from the top compared to the bottom were quite annoying after greyscale calibration so I had to boost blue along the range to remove this issue, although it did track greyscale perfectly though beforehand. Colours are great on both TN's but the Samsung is slightly better and can keep that accuracy as I did not need to change the greyscale to be less accurate to avoid annoying tints of grey as described.

The coating is light haze and does not look too grainy but up close you can see it is not glossy like the IIyama 1440p. It does not reflect at all really and is okay for brighter rooms.

The panel has zero backlight bleed or clouding or banding and I have not spotted any dead pixels (not that I could spot at any rate)

Scaling -

Using blu-ray test discs at 1080p and 720p resolution the scaling is pretty good but not perfect. 1080p is interpolated a bit and has some minor ringing artifacts but is pretty good, 720p the same.
I even tried some PS3 and Wii U games and they look good but I prefer the IIyama which doubles 720p very nice and clear. All in all a good result but really this monitor is for 4k. I would have tested the PS4 but I have had two go wrong on me so I have got a refund now and got this monitor to try 4k PC gaming.

4k PC gaming -

My rig uses an i5 3570k OC at 4.2ghz with 8gb ram and a palit GTX 780 super Jetstream 3GB vram (equates to about original GTX titan performance) I am using a WD caviar black HD, no SSD at this time.

I usually avoid MSAA and use injector SMAA if I can or in game SMAA. I like to game at max settings usually. I tried the following games but only measured two games with fraps (crisis 3 and watch dogs) the rest I eyeballed the framerates. Depending on the levels I had a look at fps could vary. But using 1 GPU the results were great and surpassed my expectations. This is a rough guide only.

Grid 2 - max settings at MSAA x2 with shadows at high v-sync on - in the 50's fps range

Hitman absolution - AA off using injector SMAA at low max settings but shadows lowered one v-sync on - 40's and 50's fps

Tomb Raider 2013 - AA off using injector SMAA low at max settings but shadows lowered one and tress FX off v-sync on - in the 40's and 50's

COD ghosts - SMAA in game and max settings - 40's - 50's

Metro Last Light - max settings AA off - 30fps range

Sonic racing transformed - injector SMAA low max settings with motion blur etc off - 60fps lock

Thief - no AA in game and max settings - 30's 40's - 50's

Far cry 3 - max settings - 30's - 40's

Assassins Creed 4 - SMAA in game max settings but god rays low and shadows on non soft high variant (not updated with Nvidia PhysX patch though) 30fps with a few dips slightly under

Watch dogs (fraps) - ultra textures and max settings no AA - 30fps with slight dips to late twenties, SMAA drops it to 25fps (the Ubisoft patch which hopefully improve performance a bit)

Splinter cell Blacklist - SMAA injector and pretty much max settings 30'sfps range

Max payne 3 - max settings SMAA injector low, SSAO used - 30's - 40's

Crysis 3 (fraps) - max settings motion blur off SMAA low in game - welcome to the jungle grassy areas - 20-22 fps and changed to - textures very high with high preset SMAA low 28-30fps

I also got 60fps on some 3d indie titles as well like "The last tinker: city of colours"

I can run most of these games but not all at a locked 60fps at 1440p but 4k does offer less jaggies and the detail in the distance is more refined and I am happy with 30fps or above with v-sync triple buffering so it is a nice upgrade. I have not ran into any vram issues with my 3GB at the moment.

Windows 7 scaling -

Using 150% zoom on fonts makes the desktop crisp and with nice size desktop icons.

Overall I am very pleased with this 4k monitor and recommend them. I also have no issue running it at 4k60hz with audio over a 5m quality display port cable.

I hope you found this review useful.

Regards
Ive just bort this monitor for ps4 gaming and cant seem to get the picture rite ? Can u recommend some settings for ps4 ? I do not have a PC computer jus a ps4 and a mac book pro

Ive just bort this monitor for ps4 gaming and cant seem to get the picture rite ? Can u recommend some settings for ps4 ? I do not have a PC computer jus a ps4 and a mac book pro

Hi,
If you try all the following on the monitor

Under settings -
Eco saving off, PC/AV mode for whatever hdmi you are using set to PC

Under screen -
Image size wide

Under picture - choose samsung magic bright custom first off then
Brightness to whatever suits your room lighting situation
Contrast to 70
Sharpness to 60
Game mode off
Samsung magic angle off
Color - set color tone to normal then the RGB's will change to 50,50,50 and set gamma to mode 1 or you can use mode 3 which gives a bit darker gamma but is still nice, again depends on your room lighting. Mode 3 for darker conditions and mode 1 for bright daylight.
Response time - faster

The final thing is HDMI black level which may be the cause of the issues you are having perhaps. You need to match the HDMI RGB range setting to the same on your PS4 options under video settings on it's desktop area for want of a better word and the monitor option. The best option to use is HDMI RGB full range on both devices. If you have differing settings on each device then depending which way they are set you will get either an extremely washed out picture or a very dark one which crushes shadow detail.
You can set both devices to HDMI RGB limited and have no issue but as the PS4 does support full range it's best to use this option as PC monitors prefer and are built for this. Samsung is one of the very few that even give you an option to select HDMI limited range which is useful as devices like the Wii U only output HDMI limited range anyway.

Even though i presume you have the PS4 set to output 1080p the image on this monitor will not look as good as on a 1080p monitor as there is scaling involved but unfortunately their is nothing that can be done about that.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi,

Under settings -

Under screen -
Image size wide

Contrast to 70
Sharpness to 60
Game mode off
Samsung magic angle off
Color - set color tone to normal then the RGB's will change to 50,50,50 and set gamma to mode 1 or you can use mode 3 which gives a bit darker gamma but is still nice, again depends on your room lighting. Mode 3 for darker conditions and mode 1 for bright daylight.
Response time - faster

The final thing is HDMI black level which may be the cause of the issues you are having perhaps. You need to match the HDMI RGB range setting to the same on your PS4 options under video settings on it's desktop area for want of a better word and the monitor option. The best option to use is HDMI RGB full range on both devices. If you have differing settings on each device then depending which way they are set you will get either an extremely washed out picture or a very dark one which crushes shadow detail.
You can set both devices to HDMI RGB limited and have no issue but as the PS4 does support full range it's best to use this option as PC monitors prefer and are built for this. Samsung is one of the very few that even give you an option to select HDMI limited range which is useful as devices like the Wii U only output HDMI limited range anyway.

Even though i presume you have the PS4 set to output 1080p the image on this monitor will not look as good as on a 1080p monitor as there is scaling involved but unfortunately their is nothing that can be done about that.

Hope this helps you out.
Thanks for the reply ive managed to gain abit more color and it does look abit better but I'm still not happy with it ,, ive just orderd benq rl 24 inch im going to compair them both as ive heard ben q are aet up better for consoles ... Do u no if a monitor produces a better picture than a tv ?

Thanks for the reply ive managed to gain abit more color and it does look abit better but I'm still not happy with it ,, ive just orderd benq rl 24 inch im going to compair them both as ive heard ben q are aet up better for consoles ... Do u no if a monitor produces a better picture than a tv ? And is it a better gaming monitor ? All so is there a way i can play 4k movies from net flix ive tried it on ps4 but its jus normal hd .. Thanks mate

The benq i presume is also a TN panel but is possibly not up to the standard of these samsung 4k ones so the colours, gamma etc may be inaccurate i don't know. Two areas which will be better are the input lag and the fact it is a 1080p monitor so it matches the PS4 games output for a nice crisp non scaled image. The 24" TN panels are sometimes not that great and the 27" models of the same monitor give a better image. I have a benq XL2720Z monitor which i now use only for console gaming instead of pc and the image is as good as the samung 4k but it's a 1080p monitor which is more suited for these machines. Usually no monitors are good out of the box, you need to set them up correctly. If that benq is like mine it has the HDMI RGB range option which will need to again match the PS4 output like I mentioned earlier.
When calibrated like i did in the samsung review a tv or monitor can give a virtually identical still image regarding colour, gamma, white balance etc. Not all tv's or monitors are capable of achieving the desired quality when calibrating though. Tv's tend to have a lot more input lag although some in the 1080p sony range have monitor like levels of low input lag. Also as the screen size goes up without an increase in resolution the image starts to look more jaggy or low res. 1080p on a 24" screen should look pretty sweet though. If you can find a review of that monitor that is pretty in depth and shows you what settings they used it can give you a good start when setting up your monitor if you don't calibrate like i do.
Regarding net flix i have no idea, sorry.

The benq i presume is also a TN panel but is possibly not up to the standard of these samsung 4k ones so the colours, gamma etc may be inaccurate i don't know. Two areas which will be better are the input lag and the fact it is a 1080p monitor so it matches the PS4 games output for a nice crisp non scaled image. The 24" TN panels are sometimes not that great and the 27" models of the same monitor give a better image. I have a benq XL2720Z monitor which i now use only for console gaming instead of pc and the image is as good as the samung 4k but it's a 1080p monitor which is more suited for these machines. Usually no monitors are good out of the box, you need to set them up correctly. If that benq is like mine it has the HDMI RGB range option which will need to again match the PS4 output like I mentioned earlier.
When calibrated like i did in the samsung review a tv or monitor can give a virtually identical still image regarding colour, gamma, white balance etc. Not all tv's or monitors are capable of achieving the desired quality when calibrating though. Tv's tend to have a lot more input lag although some in the 1080p sony range have monitor like levels of low input lag. Also as the screen size goes up without an increase in resolution the image starts to look more jaggy or low res. 1080p on a 24" screen should look pretty sweet though. If you can find a review of that monitor that is pretty in depth and shows you what settings they used it can give you a good start when setting up your monitor if you don't calibrate like i do.
it was rated 9.3 for gaming thec
I cant find rgb range on the samsung ? Only on the ps4 ? Is there one on the monitor?
The thing that i dint like about the samsung was i cudnt seem to
Get enuff colour everthing looked bland ,, the settings u gave me are better like the putting it on fast instead of fastest looked better playin cod ghost my only prob is the colour ? And is there rgb range on the monitor i cant find it ??? Only on ps4

Hi,

Under settings -

Under screen -
Image size wide

Contrast to 70
Sharpness to 60
Game mode off
Samsung magic angle off
Response time - faster

Hope this helps you out.

I can not find the rgb range on the monitor i can only do it on the ps4 ????

I can not find the rgb range on the monitor i can only do it on the ps4 ????

You can find it here on the monitor -
Go to the the main menu, go into picture, then scroll down to the 2nd page within picture till you see "HDMI Black Level". The 'Low' setting = limited range and the 'normal' setting = full range. So you will want to select normal range on the monitor and full range on the PS4 which it sounds like you have done already. If you select limited range on the PS4 then you would need to use the low setting on the monitor. Whether you use PS4 full range combined with normal on the monitor OR PS4 limited range and low on the monitor the picture should come out looking how it should do and you should be fine. Hope this sorts the picture for you.

great review, im in the process of trying to select a new monitor and stuck between 27" 4K - R9 280x gpu which i understand wont game at 4k, or non 4k 29" plus ultra wides or 27" 1440p.

mindfield. it really is.

great review, im in the process of trying to select a new monitor and stuck between 27" 4K - R9 280x gpu which i understand wont game at 4k, or non 4k 29" plus ultra wides or 27" 1440p.

mindfield. it really is.

I would have said get the Asus 27" ROG SWIFT but you have an AMD GPU so you can't use g-sync. You are right though that your GPU is not up to 4k with settings ramped up. 1440p is an excellent upgrade from 1080p though. At 2ft back using non blurry AA like SMAA or MSAA x4 1440p can look excellent compared to 4k.

I have recently purchased the Samsung U28D590D and i am running a PS4 Pro i am still looking for the optimal settings and welcome and suggestions, what advantages are there in not running it with game mode? i would of thought this would result in faster response times?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom