Samsung TVs: HD 1080i/p change causes audio glitch

I have had this delivered today with the HW 450 soundbar from Comet. Set it all up two hours ago, and I am getting the same dropout problem, but it seems to just be on HD.

Eventually worked out how to set the power on and volume.....but bloody stupid system.....if you have auto power on the 450 switches on when you turn on the TV, but you cannot use the TV anynet volume control from the TV remote. If you use the TV anynet function so you can control the 450 volume from the TV remote and the 450 turns off when you turn the TV off, you cannot use the auto power function, so you still need the 450 remote to turn it on, as powering on the TV does not power on the 450 under the anynet function.

I was deciding between this Samsung Tv and the 37'' Panasonic.....I am two minds to tell Commet to come and collect this set up and swap it for the Panasonic as I cannot be assed to start a telephone battle with Samsung.....any thoughts???

I am also having this problem.

I have spent quite awhile playing with settings and still nothing.

I have a Samsung ES6800 TV and a SAMSUNG HT-E4500 5.1 home cinema system

I get the sounds drop out on Xbox 360 - freeview HD - Blu-ray.

Annoying really annoying.....

Is this confirmed to be a problem with the tv or the firmware because if it's firmware it's about time samsung got this sorted. I will be ringing them tomorrow and I will get answers from them. If it appears I am not speaking to the right person I will hold until I get through to someone who knows....

Its absolutely disgusting how this sound drop out seems to exist across plasma and led range and its not just a problem with 1 model but nearly their entire range by the looks of things.

I found this information when I searched for samsung sound drop outs. Its related to an old model, but is informative and thought it may help some.

LN-T4671F Intermittent Audio Dropouts When Using HDMI
Intermittent Audio Dropouts When Using HDMI

An audio dropout occurs when the audio portion of your program stops and then restarts a second later. This phenomenon can be caused any of the following issues:

• Faulty firmware
• A weak signal
• HDMI handshake sync problems
• A faulty HDMI cable
• Faulty HDMI ports or circuitry.

Each of these issues is discussed below.

Faulty Firmware
For some TV’s, you can fix the HDMI audio dropout problem with a firmware update. Please check Samsung’s Download Center to see if a firmware update is available for your television. To go to the Samsung Download Center, click here.

Weak Signal
Set-Top-Boxes (STB) can sometimes drop or lose transmitted signals because the signal is weak, causing an audio dropout. If this occurs frequently, have your cable or satellite company boast the signal you receive in your home or remove older cable wiring and cable splitters and replace them with lower Db loss cabling and splitters.

HDMI Handshake Sync
The HDMI connection from time to time goes through an HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) verification process to make sure the content it receives is secure. Usually, the process does not create a problem. Sometimes, however, it can cause an audio dropout.

If audio dropouts are frequent, test the HDMI connection on your TV with another HDMI device. If the dropout does not occur with the other device, then the original device may be using an older HDCP protocol and the older protocol is causing the dropouts. Unfortunately there is no way to correct this except by updating your equipment. If it appears your cable box is causing the dropouts, contact your provider for new equipment.

Note: In some cases, if the cable box is relatively new, you can get a firmware update from your cable company that resolves the problem.

Faulty HDMI Cable
Audio dropouts can be caused by faulty HDMI cables. To test your HDMI cable, connect a different HDMI device to the cable. If the audio dropouts still occur, the HDMI cable may be faulty and should be replaced

Faulty HDMI Ports Or Circuitry
Audio dropouts can sometimes be caused by a faulty HDMI port. To determine if this is the case, attach your HDMI device to a different HDMI port on your TV. If the drop outs stop, this is an indication that the original HDMI port is defective.

Note: Usually, if an HDMI port is defective, there are video dropouts as well as audio dropouts. If you are not experiencing video dropouts, we recommend that you pursue the other options listed above before determining your problem is caused by the HDMI port.

I have had this delivered today with the HW 450 soundbar from Comet. Set it all up two hours ago, and I am getting the same dropout problem, but it seems to just be on HD.

Try out the usb, see if that works without sound dropping sound. Try and watch a movie with DD 5.1 sound and see whether or not it happens.

Regarding whether you should give this back. That depends on how much the issue annoys you/disrupts your viewing. If you do watch freeview then I would say changing it is a must.

I am also having this problem.

I have spent quite awhile playing with settings and still nothing.

I have a Samsung ES6800 TV and a SAMSUNG HT-E4500 5.1 home cinema system

Annoying really annoying.....

Is this confirmed to be a problem with the tv or the firmware because if it's firmware it's about time samsung got this sorted. I will be ringing them tomorrow and I will get answers from them. If it appears I am not speaking to the right person I will hold until I get through to someone who knows....

I have yet to connect a games console to check for issues and haven't had time to watch a blu ray yet so haven't tested that front either. But since you mention it I will test these out.

How often are the sound drop outs on xbox and blu ray?

Please let us know what samsung say.

I think we need to identify whether all of those issues are of the same nature or not.

For me the dropouts happen only on Freeview HD - i.e. it's a pure 1080i/p switching thing.

People also report sound dropping out on any HDMI sources which could indicate handshake problems.

I don't think those two are connected to be honest.

Right. I will be ringing samsung either today or tomorrow I will be giving out a number and a name so if the people would ring and speak to the same person we will have a better chance of some answers.....

Are you sure about BD? I have the HT-E5500 (which is the same as yours but different speakers) and I do NOT get drop-outs with BD.

With all the posts we have had so far I understand that the drop-outs ONLY occur when CERTAIN content is played when the audio path is from the TV to a SEPARATE audio device (soundbars, HTs etc) via HDMI or Optical.

It seems that it doesn't matter how the content gets into the TV, as we have reports of the issue with Freeview, XBox, USB memstick etc.

We don't yet have a clear definition of EXACTLY which content causes the problem. I can ALWAYS reproduce it by tuning the TV to a Freeview HD channnel and waiting for a 1080i/p change. This is guaranteed to cause it. However I also get it when watching SD recordings from a PVR (HDMI in to TV, HDMI out to HT). So this is NOT an HD audio issue - it is a more fundamental digital audio issue.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the article I found on What HiFi:

UPDATE: BBC experiments with 1080p broadcasts on Freeview HD - but viewers complain of audio dropouts

10 Jun 2011Published 10.06.11
Samsung is the latest TV manufacturer to admit that a change in the way the BBC broadcasts its HD channels is causing audio dropout on some of its TVs.
In a statement to whathifi.com, the company says:
"In light of the reported sound problems with BBC HD channels, Samsung has been working on a software update for its TVs.
"Samsung is currently testing this software update to ensure that it resolves the sound issues that some people have experienced and we would like to thank customers for their patience.
"The software update will be released following completion of the testing procedure."
Meanwhile, Sony says it has resolved the problem and will issue a software update at the end of June:
"This issue has been resolved. The software is currently undergoing final quality assurance testing. We are targeting the end of June to make a software release.
"Sets that are connected to the internet will update automatically. Sets not connected to the internet can be updated by USB.

We will update this forum when the software has been made available."

Published 03.06.11
Toshiba
has today confirmed that some of its sets have been affected by audio dropout on BBC HD channels since the Beeb began switching between 1080i and 1080p high-definition broadcasts on Freeview.
In a statement to whathifi.com, Toshiba UK says:
“After the introduction of transmission mode switching by the BBC, a limited number of Toshiba sets have been affected by very brief instances of audio dropout.
"An over-the-air update has already been issued to fix the majority of sets affected, and we’re currently developing a further update for the small amount of models that may still be affected.

"We’re working closely with the BBC to resolve these issues, and we thank all Toshiba customers for their patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
We are still waiting for Sony UK to confirm exactly when a fix for its sets will be available, although on its support website it says a firmware update is "due soon".
Sonygrab.jpg

Published 26.05.11
A spokesperson for Panasonic UK has confirmed that its TVs are not affected by sound dropout on BBC HD channels. "All tests confirmed our sets were OK," she told whathifi.com.
We are still waiting for an official response from Samsung on this issue, and will report back as soon as we get it.
Published 20.05.11
We've just received an official response from the BBC and Sony following the publication of our story yesterday. In a statement on its UK website, Sony says:
"The BBC has introduced dynamic picture switching to improve picture quality during programme broadcasts, this has unexpectedly created a problem with an audio dropout, on the 2010 and 2011 Sony Bravia TVs.

"Sony is testing a fix to this problem, and we will have more information within the next seven to 10 days, as there are other countries with HD broadcasts, we are checking to ensure that they are not affected by any changes made.

"This fix will improve the transition from 1080i to 1080p and back, to ensure the audio, picture and data information are not interrupted.

We thank you for your patience and will update the forum once we have confirmation of the fix and its availability to all our customers."
At the same time, we've received this statement from the BBC:
"The BBC worked closely with receiver manufacturers ahead of these changes to investigate any interoperability issues.
"A small number of issues were found and some manufacturers issued fixes to alleviate those problems. We always seek to ensure we provide high quality services to viewers whatever equipment they choose to use to view them and regret that some viewers are experiencing problems.
"The BBC continues to work closely with all the manufacturers."

Published 19.05.11
A move by the BBC to begin broadcasting some material on Freeview HD in 1080p (progressive) rather than the more usual 1080i (interlaced) mode has caused audio dropout problems on some TVs.
We were alerted to the problem by poster Hugh1 on our Forums, who has experienced intermittent sound on his 2010 Sony TV since the Beeb made a software upgrade to the encoder it uses for Freeview HD transmissions in March.
A similar complaint has arisen on Sony UK's Forum, where poster Chris has highlighted the same problem on his Sony KDL-EX503, and the BBC has received additional complaints.
Writing in his Research & Development blog, the BBC's Ant Miller provides an explanation of the changes made by the Beeb after the software upgrade on March 22-23.
"The Freeview HD platform has always been specified to provide a 1080p25 capability. This is why set-top boxes are mandated to have a 1080p50 output to enable seamless up-conversion to a mode which is guaranteed to be present in all display devices.
"A great deal of material is shot natively at 1080p25 and there are significant advantages in maintaining 1080p25 through to the viewer's display.
"Within a single programme interlaced may be used for moving credits, cross-fades and studio shots whereas progressive may be used for location shot material. Up until now this capability has not been exploited and 1080p25 material was encoded using a 1080i25 encoding mode.
"But after a software upgrade on the 22nd/23rd March the HD encoder supporting BBC HD on Freeview HD has been set-up to automatically detect progressive material and change encoding mode appropriately.
"The encoded bitstream can only change at each GOP boundary to ensure decoders maintain a consistent display. This means that each coded video sequence either contains interlaced or progressive picture struct values within the bitstream.
"The transitions between interlaced and progressive modes are entirely dependent upon how a programme has been made."
It is this auto-switching between progressive and interlaced modes that seems to be causing the audio dropout.
BBC viewers responding to Miller's blog have experienced picture and sound dropouts, particularly on some Sony TVs such as the KDL-40EX403 and KDL-37EX403, making some programmes "unwatchable".

However I also get it when watching SD recordings from a PVR (HDMI in to TV, HDMI out to HT). So this is NOT an HD audio issue - it is a more fundamental digital audio issue.

As per my earlier post, try connecting the PVR to the TV through the soundbar not the other way around. This is the recommended configuration and did fix dropouts originating from the PVR.

Yes, I did see your post. However I prefer having the PVR connected to the TV as it makes selecting it easier.

Due to the sound drops I generally only have my surround sound on for BDs. For TV and PVR I use the TV speakers. I am still expecting that one day we will get a firmware update that fixes this problem, which is why I am keen to keep the momentum of this thread going.

By dippys post may as well wait samsung are not going to do anything any different even if I ring that or not they do seem fully aware of the issue....

I would ask that you complain anyway. There is a possibility that our issue may get escalated internally if the number of customer complaints reaches a certain threshold. Or even if there is no sort of process like that, merely getting someone at Samsung to look into the issue yet again increases the chances of something happening.

However I am all in favour of doing something more to get Samsung to deal with the issue - I just don't know what we can do.

Dippy said:
I would ask that you complain anyway. There is a possibility that our issue may get escalated internally if the number of customer complaints reaches a certain threshold. Or even if there is no sort of process like that, merely getting someone at Samsung to look into the issue yet again increases the chances of something happening.

However I am all in favour of doing something more to get Samsung to deal with the issue - I just don't know what we can do.

Well we need to get people to pick up the phone speak to a member of Samsung get there name they spoke to and then pass it on for other people to speak to the same person. If nothing happens we keep asking the same person what's going off.... It's only going to rage that person into looking into it further.... Unfortunatly this is the only way!

I've noticed the dropout on the HDMI ARC coincide with a switch in the Film Mode setting in the Option Menu.

If you have the menu showing when the dropouts are occuring that setting goes from availble to unavalable (greyed out).

Anyone confirm this What's Film Mode do?

I've just fired off (another) email to customer support. They'll also be getting another bad review on Amazon soon if it doesn't get sorted out!

1027.2 is out today - going to give it a try.

Still not working well. 1080p -> 1080i switching is still an issue with audio dropouts. It appears that 1080i -> 1080p is not dropping audio.

Very minor image 'glitch' barely noticeable between 1080p to i too. Audio far more annoying though.

Samsung. You. Suck.

Back to using the headphone socket.

Seriously, we must be able to argue that the product is not fit for purpose as Samsung have admitted it is a known fault which has not been rectified after months.

Last edited:
I've just tried the new build. Absolutely no difference for me.
If they published a change log I might even notice what they've been wasting their time fiddling with while ignoring this extremely annoying fudge up.
:suicide:

I have one major issue with this tv – intermittent sound drop outs which is noticeable when connected to external sound. My tv is connected to a Yamaha amp RXV667. The sound drops out regularly on freeview hd but that isn’t an issue as we watch sky which doesn’t suffer from this. When viewing a movie off usb through the tv the sound drops out every now and then for a second, roughly 3-8 times throughout the whole movie. This happens on every single movie regardless of file format or audio codec. The tv also suffers from brightness pops but not so bothered about them.

I called Samsung about this and subsequently had a visit from an engineer, who checked my setup, tried different cables although I told him that I have already tried all that. After nearly an hour and a half and liaising with the service manager over the phone, he admitted that the sound drop outs on the freeview hd is a known issue. They will let me know when an update becomes available. With regards to the drop out from the usb, he said that could be down to how the files are encoded. I told him that there is nothing wrong with the files, they play absolutely fine on all other devices. The Panasonic 55vt50 which I returned, played the files fine without any such drop out. They funny thing is that the last two Samsung tvs I had (51D6900 and 51E6500) also had this drop out. From this I assume it’s probably a hdmi handshake issue with my amp. I have already updated the amps firmware which made no difference. Although when I did a google search I found a couple of others who suffered the same drop outs but were using a different av system.

I have been racking my brain all week, I don’t know what to do. The work around is to use the tv purely as a display, play my movies/files through the media player/ps3. But should I have to do this with a brand new tv that I paid £1400 for? What is the point of paying for the tvs extra features if they don’t work properly? I have only had the tv 11 days so still within period of return.

Any advice?

Return it if you still can and are unhappy. It seems unlikely that they will fix those sound glitches - especially the Freeview HD one.

To be honest, the usb/dlna playback is a nice addition but I would never buy a telly based on it. All the different ways you can encode things mean that you really need a dedicated PC to be able to expect to play everything without any issues - and even that sometimes requires looking for new codecs etc. I gave up long time ago and got myself first an Acer Asipre Revo and then HTPC and will always advise people to do the same.

Latest firmware update did not fix the issue on my TV.

I got another reply from Samsung - "We are currently investigating this issue and hope to get this resolved
as soon as possible via a firmware update."

Heads up... 1028.2 is out today - not tried yet as I'm at work.

I also had a conversation with a Customer Support Manager yesterday who's elevating it up. I passed on an engineer visit given that Samsung have themselves admitted the fault already!

lewisburgess said:
Heads up... 1028.2 is out today - not tried yet as I'm at work.

I also had a conversation with a Customer Support Manager yesterday who's elevating it up. I passed on an engineer visit given that Samsung have themselves admitted the fault already!

Good news, at least there fully aware of the issue! I rang the other day didn't get anywhere they just wanted to get a engineer out lol....

I just tried 1028.2.

At first I thought it had the fix - no audi dropouts when BBC HD switched between i and p - but then I realised I hadn't turned the BD/HT on and was listening through the TV speakers - doh!

When I turned the BD/HT on just for a moment I again thought the problem was fixed as I saw a few i/p changes without hearing anything. But it must have been during quiet scenes because then I started hearing the drop-outs, same as before :(

At least I must have got some other improvements with all these firmware upgrades I am doing. Shame that I don't know what they are :(

I just tried 1028.2.

At first I thought it had the fix - no audi dropouts when BBC HD switched between i and p - but then I realised I hadn't turned the BD/HT on and was listening through the TV speakers - doh!

When I turned the BD/HT on just for a moment I again thought the problem was fixed as I saw a few i/p changes without hearing anything. But it must have been during quiet scenes because then I started hearing the drop-outs, same as before :(

At least I must have got some other improvements with all these firmware upgrades I am doing. Shame that I don't know what they are :(

Totally agree with that!

1028.2 makes NO difference for me with audio issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom