Samsung tv's do NOT have low input lag!!!

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by redorblue89, Oct 16, 2015.

1. redorblue89

redorblue89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I have a Samsung HU8500 (HU9000 in USA). 40ms input lag in game mode, 100+ outside.
    I can not fathom why critics and users alike are praising 2015 samsung tv's as good for gaming!

Input Lag of 2015 TVs

Check out that site, it states input lag for tv's both in game mode and outside of game mode. Similarly to most other reviews I've come across it's giving samsung great scores for input lag because it gets so low during game mode, even though the majority of those same tv's have input lag as 120ms+ outside of game mode which is ridiculous! Game mode reduces picture quality!!! (And usually disable 4K up-scaling!)

How is this acceptable? The tv's that should be getting praise for having input lag outside of game mode at 50-60ms, i.e. tv's like the Sony X850C, are getting described as worse input lag than most samsungs because of stupid game mode!

How has the industry just accepted game mode as an alternative. We should be moving towards Sony's ethos of consistently low input lag regardless of tv settings, NOT reduced PQ to get low input lag in some "Screw you gamers, we don't care about you" mode.

2. Nicholars

Nicholars
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Its not really that, game mode is accepted as a compromise for speed, but the problem with Samsung TV's from what I have read is that they do not actually have low input lag when you enable 4:4:4 color in game / PC mode, as soon as you enable that, the input lag shoots up to 30-40ms.

3. redorblue89

redorblue89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But why should you compromise when plenty of TV's allow 4k upscaling and all the bells and whistles whilst still having relatively low input lag. I would rather have 50 or 60 ms lag but be able to have the game actually use the TV's display at it's best, not some muddies, blurry "crap" mode that responds quickly.

4. NBrice

NBrice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    I agree. Motion is terrible on these TVs in game mode when playing 60fps games. Plasma seriously excelled in that area. And if local dimming etc is also disabled then it makes for a miserable gaming experience regardless of the lag.

5. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So which current TVs are best in this case?

6. redorblue89

redorblue89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First I had a Samsung 55 HU8500, input lag in most modes was 100+ms (crazy high). This is the same as pretty much any samsung tv out now, ridiculously high input lag outside of game mode. In game mode it dropped to 40ms, however, it reduced the picture quality quite a bit AND even with sharpness at maximum the picture was not anywhere near as sharp as not game mode. I sold this tv due to not being any good for games.

Secondly I bought the Panasonic CX700b which has an input lag of 40ms in ANY picture mode. However, I realised they attain this by not letting you get as sharp a picture in comparison to other TV's. Along with this issue had slight edge bleed so I returned the tv.

I now have the 65 inch Sony x809C which as far as I can tell is the best I could find for input lag without having to use game mode (and also, just an incredible picture). So in a regular picture mode (game mode off) input lag is about 60ms which is still very usable for most games, the only games where this might hinder you is stuff like FPS's however even then it's still very usable. Further more the game mode on this particular tv which lowers input lag to 40ms actually lets you adjust the Picture Quality (including sharpness) to pretty much match any other picture mode.

7. redorblue89

redorblue89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically I hate that critics are saying that Samsung is the leader in input lag, yeah they currently have 20ms input lag but ONLY in game mode which you can configure minimally AND looks much worse than non game mode. Outside of that it's 100ms+!!!
    It's like the critics are saying all gamers should care about is input lag. Yeah because I want to spend 2 grand on a new tv and have the picture look like crap for one of my main uses!

Basically there should be a balance between good input lag and picture quality. Sony has the best balance. Samsung and LG don't give a crap about picture quality for gamers.

8. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    If you're feeding a 4k input signal to the TV, what actual features are disabled when in game mode? I can understand 4k upscaling being disabled, but if you're feeding it at 4k then that isn't needed anyway. Any ideas?