Samsung TV + Yamaha receiver = sound issues :-(

Sizzle

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a rather strange audio problem. I am definitely not an audio expert and hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

I am using a Samsung Smart TV (UN70TU7000BXZA) with the older Yamaha RX-V377 receiver. HDMI ARC is being used to connect them. Overall, the sound works, but I am running into some very annoying (and pretty much deal-breaker) issues that are puzzling me.

If I turn off both the TV and the receiver, and then turn them both on again, the sound setting on the TV automatically switches to internal "TV Speakers" and does not switch back to HDMI input. I have to manually go into the sound settings and select HDMI again. This happens every time, which is ridiculous. Once I select HDMI on the TV, there is still no sound, and I have to "cycle" the audio input on my receiver, by selecting a different input and then switching back to the correct one (AV4). Only then the sound works again.

Now, if I turn off only the TV and leave the receiver on, then when I turn the TV back on, its settings are fine and HDMI is selected correctly... but I still have the same stupid issue where I have to cycle the audio input (just like I described above) to something else and then back to the correct one.

It is so frustrating, and I have absolutely no idea how to tackle this. Could anyone provide any suggestions, or maybe someone has already dealt with this problem in the past? Any information at this point would be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance,

-Sizzle

I just changed over from a 2009 HTR-6180 that has no E-arc functionality. Went with a 12 year old Sony STR-DH820 with E-arc functionality.

I know it is not a Yamaha, but setup in theory should be similar, being I just upgraded to a Bravia TV. There are two setups between the two. On the receiver, set HDMI input connection to TV. HDMI passthrough should be off, if you don't plan on using a device through Yamaha's hdmi ports while receiver is off. Set HDMI control on receiver to enabled. Set standby on receiver to enabled. On Sony TV set HDMI input to enhanced, and smart connect enabled. On Sony set audio to external. Add external hdmi device with the receiver on. Sony should handshake with receiver. Test by powering off tv. Wait for receiver to go into standby, then power on tv. Receiver should power on, with audio linked to tv as external amp. If none of the functionality as described works, your receiver does not accept Sony's arc handshake.

Any solution?
I have exactly the same problem
Samsung Frame smart TV - And a brand new Yamaha receiver RX-V4A
eARC used
TV turns of receiver OK, when turned on
TV does not turn on receiver, when turned off

Does the yamaha have automatic suspend or HDMI control settings. With automatic suspend, when no audio signals are being passed to the receiver, the receiver will go into suspend mode after a period of time. I think the yamaha should have some option for HDMI control with CEC power off / power on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom