Question Samsung TV UA65F9000 with PS4 Pro, how to output to 4k?

mangbhoy

Novice Member
Hello, I need help with my Samsung TV. So I bought this unit some five years ago for futureproofing (mainly 4k content).

I recently bought a PS4 Pro to upgrade from my PS4 OG. However, the TV resolution only outputs 1080p and also on the PS4 Pro, the 2160 resolutions are greyed out.

Most of the threads, comments and things I've googled about Samsung TV settings point to newer models. I can't find the "HDMI Color" or whatever it is that allows me to set the TV to 4k.

I need some solutions for this annoyance.

I have tried changing the "name" (for example - on the HDMI1 input it can say "Game" or "PC" or "AV") to various things but no avail.
I have browsed through the Picture Settings and could find an option that allows me to change anything.
I have called up Samsung customer service and at the end of that call they recommeded that I call the Sony hotline (really?!).

So I've come here looking for answers.

Can anyone help me out? Or maybe even point to me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Dodgexander

It wasn't until the advent of HDMI v2.0 that TVs were able to display 4k at 60hz (or 60fps). Your TV uses only HDMI v1.4 ports and is limited to 4k at 30hz (30fps) and that's why its greyed out on the PS4.

If the PS4 could output games at 30hz it would be fine, but it requires 60hz despite many games not running at 60fps.

HDMI colour is a setting relating to HDR and is only applicable on more modern, higher end TVs.

mangbhoy

Novice Member
It wasn't until the advent of HDMI v2.0 that TVs were able to display 4k at 60hz (or 60fps). Your TV uses only HDMI v1.4 ports and is limited to 4k at 30hz (30fps) and that's why its greyed out on the PS4.

If the PS4 could output games at 30hz it would be fine, but it requires 60hz despite many games not running at 60fps.

HDMI colour is a setting relating to HDR and is only applicable on more modern, higher end TVs.
Wow, thanks this is great info!

So what if I upgrade my One Connect Box instead? Is this even an option for me?

mangbhoy

Novice Member
I'm not sure you'll be able to get hold of one now. If you can you will be able to get HDMI v2.0 so 4k at 60hz will be supported but you'll still miss out on HDR.
Thanks I appreciate this. I'll see if I can get my hands on 2018 or 2019 model online and is if the cost/benefit ratio is worth the upgrade. 4k is 4k I guess. Once the PS5 is out for a year, I'll probably upgrade my TV with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom