Samsung TV to Sony STR DH500 amplifier

Danzargo

Novice Member
I'm new to these forums and wondered if anybody could help.

I have bought a Samsung Q65A 4K 43" television and wanted to know how I can route the TV audio to my Sony STR DH500 amp.

I have managed to connect my BT box via HDMI (the BT box has audio phono sockets OUT to my amp.) However, if I select the TV directly from the "source" menu I can only monitor audio through the tinny little tv speakers.

I am stumped!

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

You will need to look through the audio output options on the Samsung. To get 5.1 audio your setting should be bitstream or Dolby. Your best connection would be to use digital optical and this would be more reliable than ARC HDMI.

Sorry my help is a big vague but I can't find an online manual for your model. I'm pretty sure it will be somewhere in the audio set up options.

Danzargo

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

You will need to look through the audio output options on the Samsung. To get 5.1 audio your setting should be bitstream or Dolby. Your best connection would be to use digital optical and this would be more reliable than ARC HDMI.

Sorry my help is a big vague but I can't find an online manual for your model. I'm pretty sure it will be somewhere in the audio set up options.
Thanks gibbsy. There is a digital optical port on the back of the TV, so I'll try connecting that to the optical port on the amp.

m4rkje

Standard Member
Thanks gibbsy. There is a digital optical port on the back of the TV, so I'll try connecting that to the optical port on the amp.
Dan
I have a similar problem... sound through amp from PS4 but not TV - did the Optical port work?

Danzargo

Novice Member
Dan
I have a similar problem... sound through amp from PS4 but not TV - did the Optical port work?
Sadly no! I think perhaps the amp which is 11 years old may not be up to date enough for my 2022 Smart TV. My latest plan is to buy a sound bar JUST for the TV audio, but not until I'm rich enough!

gibbsy

Sadly no! I think perhaps the amp which is 11 years old may not be up to date enough for my 2022 Smart TV. My latest plan is to buy a sound bar JUST for the TV audio, but not until I'm rich enough!
The optical should work. It's the same now as it was at it's introduction. Have you assigned the optical port as active on the amp?

Danzargo

Novice Member
The optical should work. It's the same now as it was at it's introduction. Have you assigned the optical port as active on the amp?
I believe I did? But to be honest I was fast losing the will to live trying to get it all to work. I'll have another go...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom