Samsung TV to SKY Q

prycop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi just bought a Samsung TV Q80A and a soundbar Q600A.
I initially connected SKY to HDMI 1 and the soundbar to HDMI 3 - but I was having lip sync issues even though both TV and Q Box had 0 delay set.
So I then connected the Q box to the soundbar by HDMI and then soundbar to HDMI 3. The lip sync issue has gone but now the TV doesn’t recognise the Q Box by name, when I switch Sky off the tv starts looking for a source and also there is now no option for Symphony soud by having tv and soundbar on.

Bottom line - what is the best way to connect SKY Q to a Samsung TV and what are the best settings in both the Sky box and TV?

many thanks

Has the soundbar got HDMI passthrough because that is the ideal method. If not just do a reset of the tv, after taking photos of any settings you wish to retain, with devices unplugged. Then after setting up the TV plug them back in again and see if they are correctly discovered...

The TV only shows the names of sources plugged into it.

If the q box is now plugged into the soundbar then surely all the TV will see and list on hdmi 3 is the soundbar?

Unless you were using eARC which has the ability to auto lip sync then with ARC it's quite likely you will get lipsync issues as the delay will need to be increased from zero to bring audio/video back onto alignment.

Tried a full reset to no avail. Seems like I have two frustrating options.

Option 1 - Sky Q to HDMI 1, Soundbar on HDMI 3 - Samsung TV recognises and controls Sky Q, Samsung Symphony works BUT with huge Sky Q lipsync issues.
Option 2 - Sky Q to Soundbar to HDMI 3 - no lip sync issues BUT Samsung doesn’t recognise the Sky box to control it and Samsung Symphony doesn’t work.

This is generic Samsung software in both 2021 TV and soundbar - surely there is an solution for this?

Strange, I know I haven't the same setup but I get no lip sync with skyq and my soundbar connected as your option 1. Your tv has earc and this is meant to eliminate any lip sync issues. In your audio expert settings have you set it to pass through?
There is also a thread on lip sync issues with your set here Lip Sync Issue New Q80A I know it refers to the internal speakers but there might be something within it that might help..

Thanks - Sky to HDMI 1 - tried pass through and PCM, set audio delay to 0 on both Sky and TV, still a noticable delay. Soundbar off, TV speakers are also delayed.

Last edited:
If it's just sky q i.e. all other sources plugged into the TV are fine then there is an audio delay option in the audio menu of the sky q box. Try increasing that.

Thanks again, yes just Sky. Apple TV is fine.
Adjusted the delay for the TV and Sky down to 0, it needs a minus setting.

Thanks again, yes just Sky. Apple TV is fine.
Adjusted the delay for the TV and Sky down to 0, it needs a minus setting.
Are you seeing the video ahead of the audio then? I.e lips move then you hear what they say?

Did you follow up on that link? You need to assert that your set is doing something that others are not doing, then you could claim it is faulty...

Only way to lessen lip sync is to turn Sky box audio output to "normal" - and so loosing surround and atmos.
Does look like a Sky issue rather than Samsung however.

All I can say is I don't get any lip sync issues with SkyQ....

I have a different tv but it is as your option 1 in post #5 I am assuming the hdmi port 3 is eARC the same as mine?
Are you using certified hdmi cables too such as these Amazon product ASIN B0969CQZYN

Btw most sky q boxes support 10bit 4k/60 but none of them are hdmi 2.1. The 1st version of sky q box is 4k/60 8bit and I believe are hdmi 1.4 so ironically might need input signal plus on the TV hdmi input turned off for compatibility reasons.

So doesn't need a hdmi 2.1 certified cable to connect up sky q box (cable that came with it is fine) although I guess it doesn't hurt :)

Quite, however there's little difference in price so might as well be future proof and I've found certified cable to be more reliable..

Only way to avoid lip sync is to conect the Q Box through the soundbar - tried everything now. I”ll check again following any Sky or Samsung firmware update

With my TV eARC fixes that, it did have lip sync before the update but not now, the OP's TV also has eARC so in theory it should be OK as this is one of the known fixes for lip sync issues...

Ok - good news.
There was a TV firmware update from Samsung this week - version 1808.
This seems to have sorted the lip sync with Sky Q.
Where as before audio delay set to 0 wasn’t low enough because it was the video that was lagging behind. Now an audio delay around 60ms is perfect.

Ok - good news.
There was a TV firmware update from Samsung this week - version 1808.
This seems to have sorted the lip sync with Sky Q.
Where as before audio delay set to 0 wasn’t low enough because it was the video that was lagging behind. Now an audio delay around 60ms is perfect.

Which TV do you have? We have the QN800 65” and it’s showing as 1805 as the latest update.

Which TV do you have? We have the QN800 65” and it’s showing as 1805 as the latest update.
Q80A - 1808.1 via usb
Anyway, news now not so good, even thougn much better, still some lip sync issues especially for recorded programmes and gets worse over time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom