Samsung TV to AEBS to hard drive...

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by simon12, Jun 11, 2015.

1. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So, thanks to Camfire's help I have successfully set up my home network with a couple of HDDs plugged into my AEBS. All our Macbooks can see and use the files on the HDDs and it was a lot easier to do than I expected.

My Samsung Smart TV is also connected to the AEBS and thru that, is online. What I really want to do now is to try and get the TV to see one of the drives that are attached to the AEBS so as to be able to access movie files.

Anyone have any idea how to see the drive on the Samsung? If it helps, the AEBS is the latest version and the Samsung TV is one of the F series 7000 models (ue46f7000).

2. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    This is going to be a tricky one (I think) since Apple uses a proprietary network/file system while others may use NTFS, SMB, etc. A works-for-all NAS or similar has to deal with all protocols - with frequent temporary bricking whenever any update is made.

I get the feeling you may need to resort to another machine/file-server that works happily with your TV plus being able to pull out files from the AEBS-attached drives.

iTunes and AppleTV sorts all this out for me. Surely - a total Apple eco-system but I save my time and effort on other challenges.

Then again, I may be wrong - with the plethora of applications these days that surely come out of such challenges.

3. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I have a panasonic axs640, it sees one of the HDD in my AEBS no problem,.
    I was, well still amm using a dedicated HDD just for movies to stream to my iphone or ipad using Plex app, to then Airplay to my ATV3.
    Wjhen i got my tv, i was expecting to use Plex on that, but when i went to the media player app on the tv, the HDD named MOVIES, was there, the one i was using for Plex,. clicked on that (on tv), it opened up all my films!!
    It was honestly no setting up, no pointing at a certain derive, luckily it can see the drive no problem, its as though its plugged directly in the tv, as if i was loonig in that section for a USB drive or something.
    Which is great as i no longer need a mac on to watch a film.(sorry about the spelling, and wrong key hitds my apple keyboard got a tiny bit of water on it,so its braoken, and im using a normal keyboard,,,its massive!!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Im sure that as long as the TV and AEBS are on the same wifi network, it SHOULD see the drive plugged in to the AEBS.
    Have you tried a drive plugged in to the tv directly? just to see where aboutds in the tv order it would come up?
    Are they both on the 2.4 or 5ghz band , and also, i know a bit basic, but does the drive work OK?
    Have you got Plex app on the tv? that will help you search out the drive,.

5. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'll check as they may be on different frequencies. The drives work as the macs can all see them and if I plug them into the TV I am sure they will pop up under one of the 'sources' on whichever usb slot I put it into, but I will check as I wonder if the drives are not recognised because they are formatted as Mac, not as NTFS.

Haven't checked out Plex - is that an app that loads onto the TV or the or somewhere else?

6. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Different frequencies do not make a difference - since the WLANs (2.4GHz, 5GHz) finally connect to the same subnet. This is exactly how a network printer works when wired to a router/etc. and all devices via any wireless access point (hence any WLAN) can print.

7. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Plex , i think, has an app for samsung tvs, even if not, install it on your mac, point it at the HDD (AEBS), and it will read all the media, movies, music, photos, you can decide how much you want it to share.
    its a great program, and a really good alternative to itunes.
    i was using it for years, untill my panasonic tv was able to read my files .!!
    you can even share your library across the web to freinds who also have plex, so they can stream from you, or vice versa.
    Plex Downloads
    The meta data in it is really good, the interface is nice to look at, easy to use.
    As i mentioned, i was using my mac as my main library,i was able to watch films on my mac, as well as using my iphone or ipad to watch films using Plex app ,(on idevice), which worked really well, i mean we had about 3 devices at the same time, doing different things like music in the kitchen, film in the living room, and more music in the bedroom, all at tghe same time.
    i was also using Airplay to watch a film on the tv using ipad, iphone , to ATV3, which again worked really well, .
    The idevice can go into standby, and can multi task while streaming, the only thing , for example, the iphone stops streaming , would be a phone call.
    Safari etc, can be used fine when streaming to ATV.
    Sorry to bang on about it, but for me, and alot of others plex is a lifesaver for a non- itunes media life!!

8. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Wow - that worked! There IS a Samsung app, and I just managed to stream from the remote drive via the mac to the TV. I discovered that once it's streaming I can close the Mac. I'll have to try it on my phone next. Great suggestion - this is a great forum.