Question Samsung TV - T27A750. How Do I Have TV And Headphone Sound Simultaneously?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ngc1967, May 5, 2016.

1. ngc1967

ngc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung Smart TV (Model No. T27A750).

I want to plug in a set of wireless headphones so I can have the sound volume up, but as the headphone socket is in an awkward place at the back of the TV, I don’t want to keep plugging and unplugging the headphone base station lead in and out. The problem is that the TV speakers are then disabled when the TV see a connector in the 3.5mm headphone jack which means I can’t watch the TV normally without unplugging the lead.

I want to find a way to be able to have both sounds on at the same time so I can control the volumes with the TV remote and headphone volume controls.

I have looked at the options in the main TV Menu and under the ‘Sound’ section I can only choose TV Speaker or External Speaker and when I select External Speaker, the TV sound switches off again.

I have also tried going into the TV’s ‘Service Menu’ (by pressing INFO-MENU-MUTE-POWER) but I can’t see any obvious settings that will do what I want (i.e. disable the TV speakers from switching off when you plug headphones into the 3.5mm headphone jack). I also know that you can do a lot of damage messing with the settings so I’m reluctant to play around there unless someone actually knows where to look.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for this with Samsung TVs?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    No, there's no way to disable the speaker muting when the headphone jack is used unlike most Panasonic and Sony TV's which do allow both to be used.
    The only way to have the internal speakers and headphones working at the same time is to use the digital output into a D/A convertor (plenty of them available at reasonable prices from Amazon, eBay etc) these have RCA phono stereo outputs and use a stereo RCA phono lead to 3.5mm stereo jack socket to plug in your headphone base unit.

3. ngc1967

ngc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee. I thought that would be the case!

Your suggestion has given me a few things to think about though which I hadn't considered before.

I actually have a sound bar connected to the optical output of my TV so I have just done a quick Amazon search and you can get Toslink splitters (passive too).

I am now looking at a couple of options:-

Either a Toslink splitter and a D/A Converter so that I can still have the Sound Bar connected and then I can connect a set of wireless headphones to the D/A Converter - I would still need to buy the headphones though.
    Or
    I actually have a set of Bluetooth headphones so I can buy a Toslink input/output that also has a Bluetooth transmitter incorporated so I can again have my Sound Bar connected and then transmit to my Bluetooth headphones.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Bluetooth headphones can be used with some soundbars, check and see if yours has the option.

5. ngc1967

ngc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately my sound bar is about 5 years old and doesn't have bluetooth facility.

I have been looking and found a Bluetooth transmitter that has both Optical and Analogue Inputs and Outputs. I just need to find out if it will accept an optical input and regenerate the sound signal as an optical output but at the same time be able to transmit the sound signal via bluetooth. That way I would be able to keep it out of the way and not have to touch it.

(I rather like the bluetooth option than using wireless RF headphones now.)