Samsung TV repair / refund under Richer Sounds 6 year Warranty & Samsung alternative resolution dept. ?

Vully

Standard Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am having a bit of a problem / runaround with a problem with my Samsung TV - UE49KS8000, bought Dec 2016 from Richer Sounds Liverpool, with the 6 year guarantee. ( Near top of range in 2016 below the OLED's or larger screens ). The One Connect box was a key feature for my install.
A few weeks ago it developed a significant area of bright blue light on the lower mid screen whenever there was a light colour screen image / background - not there when dark screen image. Also edge bleeding all along the mid to right hand side of the lower edge of the screen. Very distracting.

I called Richer Sounds customer service and they were very helpful. Put my claim through to their maintenance partners in Manchester.
They were also very good - arranged an engineer appointment, 22/9/21, many txts left to update me, engineer said panel had failed and needed a replacement, will take 3-5 days to get as order from Belgium. Can fit in my home not take TV away.
27 Sept - parts now on order, we will let you know when they arrive to fit.
So all great.

6 Oct 21 - unexpected call from Samsung - call about my appliance issue.
Apparently the maintenance company ordered the panel, it was out of stock. Richer Sounds tried to order, Samsung state panel is no longer manufactured! Richer Sounds instruct their maintenance company to close the repair and it's passed to Samsung????
I was not aware of any of this until Samsung call yesterday.
Apparently it's now with Samsung Alternative Resolution dept. I called them & sent my receipt etc. to them.

They then said they could offer £203 ( for a £1199 TV 4 years ago! ) or a "newer" model ( a 2019/2020 QLED model QE50Q65TAUXXU. ) - which is hard to find on the internet and not carried by main suppliers like AO or Richer Sounds, and when found costs about £500.

The cash offer was laughable, 16% ish of the cost price! The offered TV while newer and QLED was a lower end model and didn't have the features I had from my near top end model in 2016 - one connect box, screen and sound settings, gaming features, etc. So no one connect box will make my installation look really messy!

OK, so I get a working TV, likely better technology and picture quality, but KEY features are missing. A bit like getting your Mini replaced with a Mercedes but it has no seats and 3 wheels... "better" model but less key features!

It was suggested that I negotiate with Samsung, but they stick to their guns so here I am for advice.
Also, to see if @Richer Sounds can help any more!

I am happy to top up an offer ( reasonable offer ) to get a current model TV, I'm not after something for nothing, but the refund was poor and the offered TV is not really suitable for my use.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I bored you all!

Your contract is with RS.... The free warranty states:
https://customerservice.richersound...TV-Projector-Guarantees-included-at-purchase- that you should get 50% (of the price paid) as the fault occurred in year 5. That'll be as RS vouchers towards another TV from them.

No more, dealing with Samsung (who I guess Richer would be hoping to be more generous than it seems they are willing to be).

Sadly TV prices are probably at a premium due to the pandemic manufacture and supply issues.

Your contract is with RS.... The free warranty states:
https://customerservice.richersound...TV-Projector-Guarantees-included-at-purchase- that you should get 50% (of the price paid) as the fault occurred in year 5. That'll be as RS vouchers towards another TV from them.

No more, dealing with Samsung (who I guess Richer would be hoping to be more generous than it seems they are willing to be).

Sadly TV prices are probably at a premium due to the pandemic manufacture and supply issues.
Thanks Rodder, I would be happy with that 50% of cost price offer, happy to top up for say a QE55QN95A with the one connect box, @ about £1400 !! Would want a TV I am happy with not just a tv!!

Cheers
V

Thanks Rodder, I would be happy with that 50% of cost price offer, happy to top up for say a QE55QN95A with the one connect box, @ about £1400 !! Would want a TV I am happy with not just a tv!!

Cheers
V
I have just re-read the conditions on the 6 year warranty from your link, and yes, it DOES state in several places, a refund will be made if it can't be repaired, based on age condition. And for year 5 .. it IS 50% off cost price, so it should be £600 from Richer Sounds in vouchers. They DO also say there are no underwriters or 3rd parties so it's just up to them. Not what I was told this morning from Richer Sounds, who just said it's passed to Samsung now!

Think it's time to call Richer Sounds again!!!

Thanks, very helpful!

V

Afternoon all,

I am having a bit of a problem / runaround with a problem with my Samsung TV - UE49KS8000, bought Dec 2016 from Richer Sounds Liverpool, with the 6 year guarantee. ( Near top of range in 2016 below the OLED's or larger screens ). The One Connect box was a key feature for my install.
A few weeks ago it developed a significant area of bright blue light on the lower mid screen whenever there was a light colour screen image / background - not there when dark screen image. Also edge bleeding all along the mid to right hand side of the lower edge of the screen. Very distracting.

I called Richer Sounds customer service and they were very helpful. Put my claim through to their maintenance partners in Manchester.
They were also very good - arranged an engineer appointment, 22/9/21, many txts left to update me, engineer said panel had failed and needed a replacement, will take 3-5 days to get as order from Belgium. Can fit in my home not take TV away.
27 Sept - parts now on order, we will let you know when they arrive to fit.
So all great.

6 Oct 21 - unexpected call from Samsung - call about my appliance issue.
Apparently the maintenance company ordered the panel, it was out of stock. Richer Sounds tried to order, Samsung state panel is no longer manufactured! Richer Sounds instruct their maintenance company to close the repair and it's passed to Samsung????
I was not aware of any of this until Samsung call yesterday.
Apparently it's now with Samsung Alternative Resolution dept. I called them & sent my receipt etc. to them.

They then said they could offer £203 ( for a £1199 TV 4 years ago! ) or a "newer" model ( a 2019/2020 QLED model QE50Q65TAUXXU. ) - which is hard to find on the internet and not carried by main suppliers like AO or Richer Sounds, and when found costs about £500.

The cash offer was laughable, 16% ish of the cost price! The offered TV while newer and QLED was a lower end model and didn't have the features I had from my near top end model in 2016 - one connect box, screen and sound settings, gaming features, etc. So no one connect box will make my installation look really messy!

OK, so I get a working TV, likely better technology and picture quality, but KEY features are missing. A bit like getting your Mini replaced with a Mercedes but it has no seats and 3 wheels... "better" model but less key features!

It was suggested that I negotiate with Samsung, but they stick to their guns so here I am for advice.
Also, to see if @Richer Sounds can help any more!

I am happy to top up an offer ( reasonable offer ) to get a current model TV, I'm not after something for nothing, but the refund was poor and the offered TV is not really suitable for my use.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I bored you all!

Hi there,

I was obviously extremely sorry to read of the problems you've been having resolving the issue with your faulty TV and offer my sincere apologies.

To obtain more information, and to resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction, I've dropped you a PM.

Sincere apologies again, hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

Well, thanks to Tom here and the Richer Sounds customer service team, they have taken this warranty claim back in house as Samsung were being a bit unreasonable, and agreed the 50% refund against the original purchase price and we've sorted a new TV which I will pay the rest of the cost.

Again great service from Richer Sounds, and of course I've now got a sexy new fangled TV installed and I need to set up, I'm happy!

Thanks all

V

Well done Richer Sounds. I’m looking for a TV and its because of resolutions like this I will be considering RS first.

It's great to see a company be involved with its customer base in this way. Glad you got a positive outcome. Its a shame the TV only lasted 5 1/2 years tho.

I'm clearly not one to post here very often but I must really applaud Richer Sounds for their customer service.

Am a long time fan of Richer Sounds and this has helped reinforce to me why I feel that way about the company. A massive thumbs up to Tom at Richer Sounds! You are what customer service and loyalty is all about 👍👍👍

Hi there,

I was obviously extremely sorry to read of the problems you've been having resolving the issue with your faulty TV and offer my sincere apologies.

To obtain more information, and to resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction, I've dropped you a PM.

Sincere apologies again, hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds
I also am having a problem with Samsung making low cash offer well below the stated amount for a 2017 tv at cost of £999
The replacement is also a lower standard
I also would be happy to add more money to the pot to get a tv I would like

I seem also to. Be the same one

Bruce Gulliford

The exact same has just happened to me - Google has bought me to this thread after googling Samsung Alternative Resolution to find what the score is and whether there is any hope of getting a fair deal.

I too bought a TV from Richer Sounds primarily as they offered a 6 year Guarantee.
I have posted here but not no replies so far:

Bought a QE65Q85R in March 2000, within 2 years developed rapid screen flickering when watching HDR content and non-HDR content.

Have been trying various things to try and fix it but to no avail and recently reported to Richer Sounds, who then appointed a company to repair. They straight off said screen panel will need to be replaced and will put an order in.

Next thing I'm getting an email from Samsung Alternative Resolution offering to either:
i) replace TV with QE65QN85R or
ii) offer £600 cash

The TV at the time had cost me £1400.
The Q85R was one below the flagship Q90R and I bought it primarily as it had the One Connect box. Samsung appear to have stopped doing the One Connect box on most models and the only current model that has it, is the S95C.

The QN85R they have offered also doesn't have the anti-reflective coating which the Q85R does and I've found to be pretty amazing, as we dual aspect windows. From reviews it appears to be the entry level mini QLED model and there are 2 higher models so may not be the right equivalent model.

Have asked Samsung if they can provide a better model/offer, so will wait and see.

Going by previous posters experience, doesn't look like they will budge and may have to go back to RS. I'm quite happy with the TV that we have, the One connect box works quite well and only being 2-3 years in when the fault developed, I'm reticent to having spend more again.

The exact same has just happened to me - Google has bought me to this thread after googling Samsung Alternative Resolution to find what the score is and whether there is any hope of getting a fair deal.

I too bought a TV from Richer Sounds primarily as they offered a 6 year Guarantee.

Bought a QE65Q85R in March 2000, within 2 years developed rapid screen flickering when watching HDR content and non-HDR content.

Have been trying various things to try and fix it but to no avail and recently reported to Richer Sounds, who then appointed a company to repair. They straight off said screen panel will need to be replaced and will put an order in.

Next thing I'm getting an email from Samsung Alternative Resolution offering to either:
ii) offer £600 cash

The Q85R was one below the flagship Q90R and I bought it primarily as it had the One Connect box. Samsung appear to have stopped doing the One Connect box on most models and the only current model that has it, is the S95C.

The QN85R they have offered also doesn't have the anti-reflective coating which the Q85R does and I've found to be pretty amazing, as we dual aspect windows. From reviews it appears to be the entry level mini QLED model and there are 2 higher models so may not be the right equivalent model.

Have asked Samsung if they can provide a better model/offer, so will wait and see.

Going by previous posters experience, doesn't look like they will budge and may have to go back to RS. I'm quite happy with the TV that we have, the One connect box works quite well and only being 2-3 years in when the fault developed, I'm reticent to having spend more again.
Your contract is with Richer Sounds, not with Samsung.

You're under no obligation to accept anything, or even entertain discussion with the Samsung Alternative Resolution team.

If you don't get anywhere next week, fire it straight back at RS to resolve

Best of luck!

Your contract is with Richer Sounds, not with Samsung.

You're under no obligation to accept anything, or even entertain discussion with the Samsung Alternative Resolution team.

If you don't get anywhere next week, fire it straight back at RS to resolve

Best of luck!

Thanks, yes, will revert back to RS if Samsung AR aren't able to come up with a satisfactory solution. Though I'm not keen RS what you get back, so it would appear I'm in year 4 so would only get back 60%, that's still a significant chunk of change to lose and makes a mockery of the warranty. Will have to see how things plan out.

ii) offer £600 cash

Hi there,

Sorry to read you've been having problems with your Samsung TV and obtaining a resolution.

If you could drop me a PM with the details either myself or a senior team member will get in touch to help.

Many thanks

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom