Samsung TV purchase

rubicon202128

Novice Member
Reaction score
There's a list of best buys here:

Usually you're better off saving money right now on a 2020 model (TU) rather than over-spending on a new (AU). Picture quality will be the same. So check local pricing to see which is cheaper.

There are some other TVs suggested in the guide, Hisense and TCL models can be cheaper depending on your locale, and offer similar performance to Samsung.

There's a list of best buys here:

Usually you're better off saving money right now on a 2020 model (TU) rather than over-spending on a new (AU). Picture quality will be the same. So check local pricing to see which is cheaper.

There are some other TVs suggested in the guide, Hisense and TCL models can be cheaper depending on your locale, and offer similar performance to Samsung.
Hi! I read your entire review! Let me tell you my story with your permission of course. Here in Latin America the Mid Tier Tvs 65 inch and above are considered higher end and cost twice as much unfortunately. For example a Q60A 2021 65 inch cost 1,250 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee and its the high end model that just arrived. The 75 inch version for the Q60A cost 1,750 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee…I had my Samsung NU7090 55 in 2018 model which was more than enough for me with a beautiful Sharpness, Details, and Brightness! Got the famous Shadow LED burn and sent it to repair and donated it…I have always dreamt of a 70 inch and above sizes TV within a budget (1,250 dollars appx) my country focuses on Samsungs, Sony and LGs basically. So I went shopping and bought the Samsung AU7000 70 inch 2021 tv. I use it with my Apple TV 4K and my JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar. I am somewhat happy with my new TV and the Immersion the new TV Size brings to my 4x4 personal bedroom across my front wall; howeverI feel a bit dissatisfied because I find the Brightness is much lower or much dimmer than my former NU7090 55 inch unfortunately…also the Sharpness and Details became more Grainy but I can understand that because of the Extra Large size that I bought which stretches the screen even more…I honestly did not consider the Q60A because for me 65 inches was still small and less immersive (would cost 1,250 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee) and I considered the Q60A for the price I stated at the beginning of my story but found out it was just wayyyy above my budget :(. I am praying and hoping that within time Samsung pushes new firmware updates making enhancements to the Brightness/HDR of this AU7000 that is sold as a mid tier model here in Latin American countries…I am feeling like regret because I did not get the Q60T or Q60A but from what I read from your advices those models are just not worth the extra $$$ and with sacrifice. To be honest with some movies I love the AU7000 and with others I feel depressed because of the Grainy noise and Dim / Low brightness. Fyi I cannot return this product anymore and here in Latin America they only give you 10 days to try a product at your house and afterwards NO Returns. Even so I did not have any more options for 70 inch and above unless I paid super high for the Q60s 75 inch! Fyi I use my Apple TV connected to the JBL bar and the soundbar to the Samsungs eARC…most of the time it works fine and other times it starts to flicker and blackout (note I am using a high end 8K Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 6 ft cables). I hope within time I get accostumed to this TV and not miss the Q60s expensive options that left me with regrets! Fyi I use Dynamic Mode because of the vividness (even though its so dim) and by adjusting the sharpness I am starting to dee again the actors eyes glow and fin details.

Hi! I read your entire review! Let me tell you my story with your permission of course. Here in Latin America the Mid Tier Tvs 65 inch and above are considered higher end and cost twice as much unfortunately. For example a Q60A 2021 65 inch cost 1,250 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee and its the high end model that just arrived. The 75 inch version for the Q60A cost 1,750 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee…I had my Samsung NU7090 55 in 2018 model which was more than enough for me with a beautiful Sharpness, Details, and Brightness! Got the famous Shadow LED burn and sent it to repair and donated it…I have always dreamt of a 70 inch and above sizes TV within a budget (1,250 dollars appx) my country focuses on Samsungs, Sony and LGs basically. So I went shopping and bought the Samsung AU7000 70 inch 2021 tv. I use it with my Apple TV 4K and my JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar. I am somewhat happy with my new TV and the Immersion the new TV Size brings to my 4x4 personal bedroom across my front wall; howeverI feel a bit dissatisfied because I find the Brightness is much lower or much dimmer than my former NU7090 55 inch unfortunately…also the Sharpness and Details became more Grainy but I can understand that because of the Extra Large size that I bought which stretches the screen even more…I honestly did not consider the Q60A because for me 65 inches was still small and less immersive (would cost 1,250 dollars + 300 dollars for a 2 year guarantee) and I considered the Q60A for the price I stated at the beginning of my story but found out it was just wayyyy above my budget :(. I am praying and hoping that within time Samsung pushes new firmware updates making enhancements to the Brightness/HDR of this AU7000 that is sold as a mid tier model here in Latin American countries…I am feeling like regret because I did not get the Q60T or Q60A but from what I read from your advices those models are just not worth the extra $$$ and with sacrifice. To be honest with some movies I love the AU7000 and with others I feel depressed because of the Grainy noise and Dim / Low brightness. Fyi I cannot return this product anymore and here in Latin America they only give you 10 days to try a product at your house and afterwards NO Returns. Even so I did not have any more options for 70 inch and above unless I paid super high for the Q60s 75 inch! Fyi I use my Apple TV connected to the JBL bar and the soundbar to the Samsungs eARC…most of the time it works fine and other times it starts to flicker and blackout (note I am using a high end 8K Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 6 ft cables). I hope within time I get accostumed to this TV and not miss the Q60s expensive options that left me with regrets! Fyi I use Dynamic Mode because of the vividness (even though its so dim) and by adjusting the sharpness I am starting to dee again the actors eyes glow and fin details.
Unfortunately that is just the way it is with cheaper TVs, there's no way for them to display HDR very well which is why I generally recommend against buying them. Your old TV really isn't any worse than your new TV.
Do you have local availability of Hisense TVs? Hisense have a manufacturering plant in Mexico and I know people there who've been able to buy their TVs. They tend to punch above their weight in picture quality compared to Samsung, LG etc who charge a lot of money for good TVs.

Unfortunately that is just the way it is with cheaper TVs, there's no way for them to display HDR very well which is why I generally recommend against buying them. Your old TV really isn't any worse than your new TV.
Do you have local availability of Hisense TVs? Hisense have a manufacturering plant in Mexico and I know people there who've been able to buy their TVs. They tend to punch above their weight in picture quality compared to Samsung, LG etc who charge a lot of money for good TVs.
Hello! I am in Central America and the only high end options are the Samsung Qled Q60T and Q60A for the prices stated above. Do you think they sell them over here way too overpriced? That would calm me down and accept my Samsung AU7000. Hisense they dont bring good models over here too. They focus too on high end 8K tvs or LG Oleds for prices ranging from 3,000 dollars and above and not such a big size. For me size always mattered because of the immersive experience just as my JBL Bar 9.1 soundbar provides it with audio! I really hope the AU7000 improved with future firmware updates. Take into consideration too that I use my TV almost entirely for streaming with my Apple TV 4K connected to the soundbar with passthrough. I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, HBO Max mostly. With Youtube content or Apple UI it looks super vivid! With movies this TV is noticeable with the Dimmer panel this year.

Hello! I am in Central America and the only high end options are the Samsung Qled Q60T and Q60A for the prices stated above. Do you think they sell them over here way too overpriced? That would calm me down and accept my Samsung AU7000. Hisense they dont bring good models over here too. They focus too on high end 8K tvs or LG Oleds for prices ranging from 3,000 dollars and above and not such a big size. For me size always mattered because of the immersive experience just as my JBL Bar 9.1 soundbar provides it with audio! I really hope the AU7000 improved with future firmware updates. Take into consideration too that I use my TV almost entirely for streaming with my Apple TV 4K connected to the soundbar with passthrough. I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney +, HBO Max mostly. With Youtube content or Apple UI it looks super vivid! With movies this TV is noticeable with the Dimmer panel this year.
I can only speak for Mexico when I say Hisense have models like the U8G there which is a lot better quality than TVs like the Samsung Q60A.

The Q60A is a low-tier TV, and not a good choice for HDR. Its not really any better than the AU7000 with picture quality, so if that TV is expensive then yes, models are very overpriced where you live.

Sadly a lot of your usage includes streaming, which often will contain HDR. You may prefer streaming via an external device like an Apple TV instead so you can disable HDR to avoid the picture problems. HDR can't be disabled on internal apps, you get it whether you like it or not unless you instead watch the HD version.

I don't think an update will fix these issues, its just sadly the truth of using HDR on TVs without the capability to display it.

I can only speak for Mexico when I say Hisense have models like the U8G there which is a lot better quality than TVs like the Samsung Q60A.

The Q60A is a low-tier TV, and not a good choice for HDR. Its not really any better than the AU7000 with picture quality, so if that TV is expensive then yes, models are very overpriced where you live.

Sadly a lot of your usage includes streaming, which often will contain HDR. You may prefer streaming via an external device like an Apple TV instead so you can disable HDR to avoid the picture problems. HDR can't be disabled on internal apps, you get it whether you like it or not unless you instead watch the HD version.

I don't think an update will fix these issues, its just sadly the truth of using HDR on TVs without the capability to display it.
Hello, thanks for your response. Yes I agree we must pay a high price for the cheapest QLED in town, but thats how it is usually here in these countries :(. I used to like a lot more my former Samsung NU7090 from 2018 because the Backlight was at its maximum that made HDR shine and it was enough for me! At least for me lol! But now came Samsung and lowered the Backlight from new TVs and they look way dimmer and with no backlight settings only brightness. I use an Apple Tv 4K and have Dolby Vision / HDR compatibility problems because I use it connected to the JBL 9.1 soundbar and the soundbar to the eARC port. Now I will connect my ATV4K directly to the Samsung AU7000 HDMI and leave the soundbar to the eARC port separately. I hope that fixes the flickering/blackout problem because of incompatibility between devices. I was hoping I would beg the seller to let me return the AU7000 and sacrifice a lot more money for the Samsung Q60A 75 at least but I dont know what will happen. If it happens…is it any different to buy the Q60T vs the Q60A? eARC ports from Samsung I heard had problems in 2020 with all of their Tvs. Regarding picture quality I believe the 2020 and 2021 QLED 60 version is the same thing with different aspects such as the new solar remote. At the end if I cannot make the exchange and pay the high difference…I will forcefully would have to get used to my AU7000 and accept it as it is.

If you have an Apple TV you can disable HDR on that, and enjoy 4k, without HDR. You won't have to deal with the problems associated with HDR on cheaper TVs if you do that.

The Samsung Q60 series is not worth buying, you need the Q90T (2020) or QN90A(2021) for HDR. The cheaper Q80T also does not get very bright, although a little brighter at least and the new QN80A seems to be a downgrade all round due to IPS type panel.

QLED is just LCD TV btw, no different from others. OLED however is different.

If you have an Apple TV you can disable HDR on that, and enjoy 4k, without HDR. You won't have to deal with the problems associated with HDR on cheaper TVs if you do that.

The Samsung Q60 series is not worth buying, you need the Q90T (2020) or QN90A(2021) for HDR. The cheaper Q80T also does not get very bright, although a little brighter at least and the new QN80A seems to be a downgrade all round due to IPS type panel.

QLED is just LCD TV btw, no different from others. OLED however is different.
I understand! Well the only newest model over here would be the Q70T 55 inch for $2,500 appx so its just disgustingly expensive and for that size nahhh. I have to stick to the AU7000 or exchange it and pay the difference if its even possible for the Q60s because it has bit more brightness I saw and read in Rtings. Well I have learnt even more about these technologies thanks to you! OLEDs over are even more and more expensive lol. I read those Q60s have a Quantum Lite tech instead of full array. I use the AT 4K as 4K SDR 60 hz / Ycbcr / 4:4:4 / Match Dynamic Range.

The Q60 is not worth exchanging, my opinion - Don't bother. Keep your money, save next time for a better TV. Hopefully in the future Hisense/TCL come to your country so prices of quality TVs are more reasonable.

The reason its not worth changing is because the Q60 series still falls short of recommended requirements for HDR. Its still not bright enough, it still doesn't have FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) so its not really any better than what you're using, but more expensive.

Of course you get some small extras, such as better colour, more HDMI ports...but those are not worth paying extra for.

I wish you could have stayed with your old TV, and put the money to the future for a better TV because honestly, there's not big difference until you are reaching much higher end models.

The Q60 is not worth exchanging, my opinion - Don't bother. Keep your money, save next time for a better TV. Hopefully in the future Hisense/TCL come to your country so prices of quality TVs are more reasonable.

The reason its not worth changing is because the Q60 series still falls short of recommended requirements for HDR. Its still not bright enough, it still doesn't have FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) so its not really any better than what you're using, but more expensive.

Of course you get some small extras, such as better colour, more HDMI ports...but those are not worth paying extra for.

I wish you could have stayed with your old TV, and put the money to the future for a better TV because honestly, there's not big difference until you are reaching much higher end models.
Thanks for your feedback! Well unfortunately there is not much I can do by now :(. So I have to settle with what I have for now and increase my budget for a future purchase!

In the end I was not able to exchange or return the AU7000. And the only option was the Q60A 75 inch tv for 2,083.00 US Dollars. So for now I will have to learn to adjust the TV brightness via the Gamma Options or Apple TV video enhancement.

Do not try with HDR, just disable and use the SDR version.
There is no benefit at all using HDR in your case.

With Apple TV you can use HDR version of show, but disable HDR on the device. That way you get UHD, without HDR. You will gain picture quality this way, rather than lose it by watching the same content with HDR enabled.

With Apple TV you can use HDR version of show, but disable HDR on the device. That way you get UHD, without HDR. You will gain picture quality this way, rather than lose it by watching the same content with HDR enabled.
Thank you very much Dodgexander! I will give your suggestions a shot! Unfortunately this new entry level 2021 Samsungs make HDR dimmer than UHD which becomes brighter.

Samsung Coaxial Isolator / Signal adapter

Hello,

Please enlighten me! Is the above mentioned device that comes with modern Tvs (Q60A etc) is a necessary device? Does it make any difference? I left my Coaxial Cable plugged in directly to my Samsung Tvs Coaxial port without the Adapter.

I installed the Tv and forgot to plug it in the coaxial Tv port and it would be somewhat hard to move the Tv again (due to the size and positioning)

Samsung Coaxial Isolator / Signal adapter

Hello,

Please enlighten me! Is the above mentioned device that comes with modern Tvs (Q60A etc) is a necessary device? Does it make any difference? I left my Coaxial Cable plugged in directly to my Samsung Tvs Coaxial port without the Adapter.

I installed the Tv and forgot to plug it in the coaxial Tv port and it would be somewhat hard to move the Tv again (due to the size and positioning)
I wouldn't worry about it. It will be fine without the adapter.

I wouldn't worry about it. It will be fine without the adapter.
It is very much worth mentioning that this Samsung Tvs make a “Tic” or “Pop” sound occasionally for a certain time when you turn it on or off. According to social media and Samsung its supposed to be a normal behavior due to temperature and contraction between the Tvs back part (plastics and metals)

Yes, QLED is not a display new technology like OLED. Its just a way to light up and colour an LCD TV.
Q stands for quantum dot, a method to reproduce colours.
LED stands for Light Emmiting Diode, which every LCD TV uses.

Other brands have their own names to achieve a similar thing, LG- Nanocell. Sony- Triluminious.

Best to ignore QLED, and treat each TV as an LCD :)

Yes, QLED is not a display new technology like OLED. Its just a way to light up and colour an LCD TV.

Other brands have their own names to achieve a similar thing, LG- Nanocell. Sony- Triluminious.

Superb explanation that expands my knowledge regarding all this technology! Thanks for your advice always!

I

I clean mine with a Targus LCD universal cleaner: Video Cámara LCD Kit de limpieza perfecta para profesionales y viajeros Targus | eBay. @Dodgexander is it ok to use that product? And what is the best technique?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom