Samsung TV not switching to HDR10+ for blu rays?

philzee86

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I was having a problem with my Samsung TV (RU8000) that I found a solution to. I couldn't find the problem being discussed online, which made finding a solution difficult. Since I now know how to solve the problem, I thought I'd share both the issue I was dealing with and the solution, so others don't have as hard a time as me.

My TV was not switching to HDR10+ for blu rays - when I would check the quick settings, it only said "HDR" under picture mode, but not "HDR10+." I was using a HDR10+ compatible player (Panasonic DP-UB420) to try and watch Alien on 4K, as well as Dawn of the Dead on 4K (both of which are HDR10+ discs). I was also using an 18gbps HDMI cable. The player was recognizing both discs as HDR10+, and was saying that it was outputting in HDR10+, but the TV's quick settings would still only say "HDR" and not "HDR10+" as it should. I had no problem streaming HDR10+ content, but for some reason, it just wasn't kicking in for the blu rays.

After talking to a very unhelpful agent on Samsung's Online Chat Support who hung up on me when I was checking the picture settings they told me to check, I was left to find my own solution, and find it I did. For some reason, I had to actually disable Input Signal Plus. To do so, simply go to Settings>General>External Device Management>Input Signal Plus, and then turn it off for the appropriate HDMI input. Once I did this, the quick settings for Picture Mode displayed that it was using HDR10+, and not just HDR.

So there it is. A problem I had, and the solution I found. Did anyone else have this issue? Was this the same solution you found, or did you find some other one? I hope that this will be helpful for someone, someday.

Thank you so much! I had this exact same issue and I'm so happy I found your post!
It's kinda weird though. Isn't Input Signal Plus supposed to make 4K content look better?

I'd imagine it has to do with the 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 upscaling the DP-UB420 is capable of.

It's possible the TV doesn't support/expect HDR10+ to be sent as 4:4:4. When you turn off input plus it's limited to 4:2:0 10bit.

Hi Everybody,

I was having a problem with my Samsung TV (RU8000) that I found a solution to. I couldn't find the problem being discussed online, which made finding a solution difficult. Since I now know how to solve the problem, I thought I'd share both the issue I was dealing with and the solution, so others don't have as hard a time as me.

My TV was not switching to HDR10+ for blu rays - when I would check the quick settings, it only said "HDR" under picture mode, but not "HDR10+." I was using a HDR10+ compatible player (Panasonic DP-UB420) to try and watch Alien on 4K, as well as Dawn of the Dead on 4K (both of which are HDR10+ discs). I was also using an 18gbps HDMI cable. The player was recognizing both discs as HDR10+, and was saying that it was outputting in HDR10+, but the TV's quick settings would still only say "HDR" and not "HDR10+" as it should. I had no problem streaming HDR10+ content, but for some reason, it just wasn't kicking in for the blu rays.

After talking to a very unhelpful agent on Samsung's Online Chat Support who hung up on me when I was checking the picture settings they told me to check, I was left to find my own solution, and find it I did. For some reason, I had to actually disable Input Signal Plus. To do so, simply go to Settings>General>External Device Management>Input Signal Plus, and then turn it off for the appropriate HDMI input. Once I did this, the quick settings for Picture Mode displayed that it was using HDR10+, and not just HDR.

So there it is. A problem I had, and the solution I found. Did anyone else have this issue? Was this the same solution you found, or did you find some other one? I hope that this will be helpful for someone, someday.
Man you just amazed me. And solved a problem I've had sense I've ever had my tv. Thank you

I’ve just found this thread and got so excited but it didn’t work for me. I ended up with no HDR at all when I turned it off. So annoying :(
Do you know if it’s still playing with HDR10+ on the tv even though it’s not showing the sign for it?

This has saved me from starting my own thread, although I'm still utterly baffled. Having just bought a Panasonic Blu-Ray player (used but good), I read that to get the best results I should be using an HDMI 2.1 input, which the manual says is input 4. The problem with is that as far as I can now tell, input 4 isn't an input at all, but merely an output for soundbars, etc. The TV certainly won't recognise that my player is connected when I plug into it. The player is supposed to be able to upscale standard DVDs, but there's certainly no evidence of this when using HDMI input 3.

I'd imagine it has to do with the 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 upscaling the DP-UB420 is capable of.

It's possible the TV doesn't support/expect HDR10+ to be sent as 4:4:4. When you turn off input plus it's limited to 4:2:0 10bit.
I know this is old but you are correct. If you set the 4K60p Output setting of the Panasonic player to output “4K/60p(4:4:4)” it will not trigger the HDR10+ on my Samsung TV (the TV will only show HDR). If you set it to “4K/60p(4:2:0)” it works correctly and my TV reports HDR10+.

If I turn off Input Signal Plus as suggested on my TV I lose HDR completely.

I know this is old but you are correct. If you set the 4K60p Output setting of the Panasonic player to output “4K/60p(4:4:4)” it will not trigger the HDR10+ on my Samsung TV (the TV will only show HDR). If you set it to “4K/60p(4:2:0)” it works correctly and my TV reports HDR10+.

If I turn off Input Signal Plus as suggested on my TV I lose HDR completely.
Thank you. I'm sure that is good advice, but it might take me a while to work out what it means. :laugh:

Thanks for this post it helped me figure out my problem. I have an s90c and a Panasonic DP-UB420. I switched off input signal plus and now get uhd/ hdr from my player. However, why is this happening? My ps5 input has input signal plus active and displays uhd / hdr, why doesn't it work on the Panasonic? Oddly, with it active, if I pull up info it states that I'm watching uhd on the main screen but when I play a disc "HD" is displayed not uhd? Very odd behaviour? Also I cannot get hdr 10+ to play? The Panasonic says its just outputting high dynamic range?

Thanks for this post it helped me figure out my problem. I have an s90c and a Panasonic DP-UB420. I switched off input signal plus and now get uhd/ hdr from my player. However, why is this happening? My ps5 input has input signal plus active and displays uhd / hdr, why doesn't it work on the Panasonic? Oddly, with it active, if I pull up info it states that I'm watching uhd on the main screen but when I play a disc "HD" is displayed not uhd? Very odd behaviour? Also I cannot get hdr 10+ to play? The Panasonic says its just outputting high dynamic range?
Hi. I have the same Problem as you. I have a Panasonic dp-ub824 , a s95c and the movie was the Dungeons and dragons uhd. So it should Play in hdr10+ , but its not. I tried everything in this thread. Do you have a solution yet?

No. The only thing I was able to do was deactivate signal plus to get uhd and hdr but not hdr 10 +. If you find a solution let me know!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom