Samsung TV - No DTS Support.....

markeddy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have only just found out that the 2018 NU7400 I just purchased will not support DTS audio from files on my NAS drive.
While this isn't a massive issue, will I be able to play them via my Xbox One S, once I get it plugged back in?
I am not sure where any of the decoding is done.
Also, how the hell does this work for official Blu-Ray disks etc that have DTS encoding?

I cannot answer specifically for the XBone - However, I can say that if trying to play natively I get an error saying Codec Not Supported, however - if I stream that same file from my [Samsung] phone with the suitable player (321 Player in my case) it streams perfectly fine, with the audio intact and playing.

Oh, and re the Blu-Ray decoding, normally there is more than one audio-stream, and it picks what one to play and / or it is down-sampled to Dolby Digital+ (or similar) if no DTS decoder is found.

It depends what your sound setup is and what is doing the decoding.

If you have a sound system that can do DTS and your source goes to that first, then you'll get DTS.

However, if you connect your sources to the TV and are then using optical or HDMI ARC to connect to your sound system, what you get depends on what did the decoding:
  1. If the audio is bitstreamed from source, DTS soundtracks are down-sampled to Dolby Digital by the TV; this would still allow 5.1.
  2. If the source has decoded the soundtrack into PCM, you'll get PCM; this only allows for 2.1.
So you should always get sound, it might just not be the sound you were hoping for.

I currently watch a lot of movies via the Plex app on the TV, this includes a number of movies with DTS soundtracks; I have my TV connected to my receiver via optical cable. My receiver always shows "Dolby Digital" and I get 5.1 sound.

Tv plugged Into Sonos Beam via HDMI arc. When I try and play DTS audio film from NAS, it plays video but says audio format not supported.
Apparently newer Samsung's don't play DTS audio or allow pass-through either.
This is why I am hoping that some media player on Xbox can convert DTS on the fly......

Tv plugged Into Sonos Beam via HDMI arc. When I try and play DTS audio film from NAS, it plays video but says audio format not supported.
This is why I am hoping that some media player on Xbox can convert DTS on the fly......

The Beam doesn’t support dts playback.

Plex can transcode in real time.

A 2018 Samsung TV not supporting DTS sounds nuts tbh, what is the reasoning behind this from Samsung? my 2016 Ks8000 (while a high end model) supports most stuff that I know of and I've never had a problem with files not playing correctly.

A 2018 Samsung TV not supporting DTS sounds nuts tbh, what is the reasoning behind this from Samsung? my 2016 Ks8000 (while a high end model) supports most stuff that I know of and I've never had a problem with files not playing correctly.

Don't think they have given an official statement on the matter. Most people are leaning towards them not wanting to pay a licencing fee for it.

Most online streaming services use DD, so maybe they thought most people wouldn't miss it. :facepalm:

We sometimes forget on forums like this, that we are the niche group of people that desire these features; when I asked a few of my friends that have Samsung for their thoughts, not a single one of them even realised it wasn't supported, because they had never had an issue with sound not playing.

My guess is Samsung did some form of research and felt that for the number of people that would miss it, it didn't justify the cost. :(

Last edited:
Don't think they have given an official statement on the matter. Most people are leaning towards them not wanting to pay a licencing fee for it.

Most online streaming services use DD, so maybe they thought most people wouldn't miss it. :facepalm:

We sometimes forget on forums like this, that we are the niche group of people that desire these features; when I asked a few of my friends that have Samsung for their thoughts, not a single one of them even realised it wasn't supported, because they had never had an issue with sound not playing.

My guess is Samsung did some form of research and left that for the number of people that would miss it, it didn't justify the cost. :(

Honestly for me it would be disaster, because although I stream a lot of stuff and watch a lot of physical media ie blu rays/uhd blu rays I still like to download and put stuff on an external hard drive/usb and watch stuff off there and if I do download stuff I try to download in the highest quality possible and with hi res video files you normally tend to get hi res audio so playing the file and getting no audio would be really crappy.

Honestly for me it would be disaster, because although I stream a lot of stuff and watch a lot of physical media ie blu rays/uhd blu rays I still like to download and put stuff on an external hard drive/usb and watch stuff off there and if I do download stuff I try to download in the highest quality possible and with hi res video files you normally tend to get hi res audio so playing the file and getting no audio would be really crappy.

Provided there were multiple track you would still get sound; the audio would be down-sampled to it's core standard DD 5.1 soundtrack.

You would only get no sound if the only audio track on the file was a DTS one.

Provided there were multiple track you would still get sound; the audio would be down-sampled to it's core standard DD 5.1 soundtrack.

You would only get no sound if the only audio track on the file was a DTS one.

With downloaded files you normally only get one audio track that's the issue.

With downloaded files you normally only get one audio track that's the issue.

I doubt they were giving much consideration to the people that download. :laugh:

I've just bought a Q7F and have encountered the same problem. Very annoying as I have quite alot of content with DTS audio. I got to wondering, as I'm in the market for a 4K blu-ray player, if i bought say the Samsung UBD M8500 and played the content through the USB port on that, would the bluray player stream x265/dts files straight to the tv with no problems?

I've just bought a Q7F and have encountered the same problem. Very annoying as I have quite alot of content with DTS audio. I got to wondering, as I'm in the market for a 4K blu-ray player, if i bought say the Samsung UBD M8500 and played the content through the USB port on that, would the bluray player stream x265/dts files straight to the tv with no problems?

Only if you have the Blu-ray player set to decode the audio into PCM and send it to the TV.

If you try and bit-stream it, then you'll still get no sound.

Ah OK, but most Blu-ray players can do this with no problem yes? Just trying to find the easiest/cheapest workaround for this issue. Apart from this everything else about the TV excellent.

Ah OK, but most Blu-ray players can do this with no problem yes? Just trying to find the easiest/cheapest workaround for this issue. Apart from this everything else about the TV excellent.

Yes.

Hi, I am a newbie so apologies in advance if this has been answered. I have just bought a Samsung nu8000 and I stream some movies etc from an external drive, the video plays but sound files are not supported. I understand that Samsung no longer support dts sound files but does anyone know how to get round this problem. I have been told to buy a western digital media box to by pass it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi, I am a newbie so apologies in advance if this has been answered. I have just bought a Samsung nu8000 and I stream some movies etc from an external drive, the video plays but sound files are not supported. I understand that Samsung no longer support dts sound files but does anyone know how to get round this problem. I have been told to buy a western digital media box to by pass it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

There is no way around it using the TV's native video player. You need to use an external player of some type to decode the audio, prior to sending it to the TV.

My personal recommendation is to set up a Plex server and then use the Plex app on the TV.

There is no way around it using the TV's native video player. You need to use an external player of some type to decode the audio, prior to sending it to the TV.

My personal recommendation is to set up a Plex server and then use the Plex app on the TV.
Thanks for the reply and advice, I will give it a try

So I got UBD-k8500 blu ray player and that has worked a treat, all my DTS stuff is now working :)

However, if I try and play an Atmos encoded file it says format not supported! Is the player not able to convert atmos into a signal that the TV can play back? I have the player set to PCM. I did see an option to run the audio through the second HDMI out into the tv, i wonder if this would work?....

Hi, did you just plug in the external drive through your blu ray player. I have downloaded Plex but having buffering issues

Yeah i just ran the drive through the USB on the Bluray player. Video works fine. I have a NAS but the TV is connected via wireless and its a rubbish connection that can't even cope with streaming 1080p off it. I guess it might be time to get a reel of CAT6 and wire everything up....

So I got UBD-k8500 blu ray player and that has worked a treat, all my DTS stuff is now working :)

However, if I try and play an Atmos encoded file it says format not supported! Is the player not able to convert atmos into a signal that the TV can play back? I have the player set to PCM. I did see an option to run the audio through the second HDMI out into the tv, i wonder if this would work?....

Some Samsung spinners do not allow True HD or DTS HD to be decoded if coming from a video file. DTS-HD will still give sound due to the fact it offers the "core" track within it. Unfortunately True HD requires a separate DD track. Guess it's to prevent piracy.

The second HDMI out is for an AV receiver which cannot process 4k (so you retain lossless audio)

If your player has it you could try changing the audio settings to bitstream re-encode and choosing DD (which the TV can handle)

On a problem file you could just try your original disk, if this does the conversion with the True HD track, whether that is PCM,DD or whatever then you know Samsung is deliberately blocking some codecs if using USB or DLNA

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom