Samsung TV - No DTS Support.....

I have downloaded Plex but having buffering issues

There must be something wrong with your setup if you are getting buffering.
  • What are you using to run your Plex server?
  • Are your source drive, server and TV all wired and on the same network?
I have my rips stored on a NAS, feeding the Plex server which is running on an old Dell OptiPlex workstation; both of which are connected via Ethernet to my standard ISP provided router. I am limited to 100Mbps throughput, as that's all the NAS is capable of.

But I don't get any buffering, even with 4K HDR with lossless audio material. All viewed via the TV's Plex app, with the TV wired to the same network as the server and NAS.

Hi, I use my iMac as the server with and external drive plugged into it.

The Mac is run on WiFi as I cannot hard wire it in. My Samsung Nu8000 can be hard wired into my virgin hub. I can play at 480p with no buffering but it totally defeats the object. Do you think the iMac needs to be hardwired to the router?

The Mac is run on WiFi as I cannot hard wire it in. My Samsung Nu8000 can be hard wired into my virgin hub. I can play at 480p with no buffering but it totally defeats the object. Do you think the iMac needs to be hardwired to the router?

Hi mate

First thing is to monitor what is happening on your plex server when a movie is being played

open your browser and try localhost:32400 or your mac ip address:32400

there will be an activity log, ideally you want the log to say the videos are being direct played, in some cases (dts/Lossless) it may say direct play for video and transcoding for audio. If this is the case then your plex server is fine and the issue appears bandwidth related.

If video is transcoding then then this would explain the issues you are having and can be solved by altering your configuration

cheers

I would imagine your iMac would be more capable than the Dell OptiPlex that I am running, so I think your issue might be bandwidth related.

Wire in the TV, and see if that makes a difference. What is the WiFi connection on the iMac like, strong or weak?

If it is bandwidth related you can get a USB C to gigabit ethernet adapter for a couple of quid

cheers

Definitely a band width problem, I hard wired my iMac to the router and no more buffering issues. Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Just wanted to add my tuppence 'orth that yep, it looks like Sammy 2018 or newer TVs have ditched DTS support (including passthrough via ARC) which is a complete pain in the arse! My 2017 Q9 had it but my replacement 2019 Q90R, nope!

So, in terms of using TV ARC to my HW-N950 soundbar and the TV's Plex app, well that's gimped for playing DTS movies, as is going the Chromecast route..

..and in terms of plugging a media player like an XBox One or a PS4 directly into a compatible receiver/soundbar, both the XBox One and PS4 don't allow 3rd party apps like Plex to access DTS passthrough for one reason or another (after a bit of searching I found that its a known thing that Microsoft don't to allow passthrough to be used by 3rd party apps, even though it's apparently been in testing for ages and it seems like Sony don't either..)

Sooo, if you want a single streaming box that supports all your audio formats and assuming you have a compatible receiver or soundbar then you're going to have to try and source something like an Nvidia Shield TV instead (I'm probably very late to the party, but quelle suprise they're getting harder and harder to source)...

A real shame in this day and age of people having Smart TVs and probably one or more multimedia consoles in their living room set-up that are all meant to do the same thing but actually, don't cover any of the bases fully at all..

..still, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, market research probably flagged this flexibility of audio support as niche and not worth the continued investment in licencing or support :(

Hi !

I know it's a old post, but I'm planning of buying an RU8000 and I'm a bit worried about the DTS as a lot of file in my NAS have it.
Did someone try with VLC for Tizen? As VLC on every device that have a DTS issue was playing just fine.

Hi !

I know it's a old post, but I'm planning of buying an RU8000 and I'm a bit worried about the DTS as a lot of file in my NAS have it.
Did someone try with VLC for Tizen? As VLC on every device that have a DTS issue was playing just fine.

VLC wouldn't work, even if it was available for Samsung TVs (it's not btw) only tizen tablets and phones.

Assuming you buy a 2019 Samsung then your options are:-

Store movies on a server and transcode DTS, Plex and emby can do this (this may be possible with your Nas)

Extract the dts soundtrack, convert to Dolby and reinject it into the movie file

Buy an external box which supports dts

@hqbdv as well as the TV, what device are you using to play the audio (soundbar? AV Receiver and speakers?)?

As Chopples and I have said, if you want a playback device for your content (running the plex app) and are running a plex server and do NOT want the plex server transcoding the original DTS audio, the Nvidia shield is your best bet. Smart TV versions of Plex won't cut it anymore.

Hi !

Thanks for you replies !
I'll use probably stereo speaker plugged in jack that I have for now.
Is the free version of Plex is able to transcode the DTS?
My NAS indexes the files directly and then I use any media Server (Nplayer of Apple, and VLC for android). I'm not using Plex to be honest, never had to, and on Android devices when the DTS was an issue, VLC was running fine. So I was also hesitating with the philips PUS73 that runs on android.

The Plex server application is free to install on compatible NAS, PC, Linux or Mac computers. All of those devices have to be powerful enough to do the transcoding however

@hqbdv as well as the TV, what device are you using to play the audio (soundbar? AV Receiver and speakers?)?

As Chopples and I have said, if you want a playback device for your content (running the plex app) and are running a plex server and do NOT want the plex server transcoding the original DTS audio, the Nvidia shield is your best bet. Smart TV versions of Plex won't cut it anymore.
Hi, I have a Samsung UE50RU7405 (2019?) not supported DTS and have a Samsung's soundbar HW-R550 that supports DTS too.

I can't make it reproduce the sound DTS no way (using HDMI-ARC, optical or BT connections).

Do you really think there is a way to make it work.

Thanks a lot of!

You quoted me, but didn't say what device is the "playback source" for your content that has a DTS soundtrack. In my post I mentioned the nvidia shield as being a device that does support DTS (because the Samsung smart TV apps can't) .. so, what are you using?

I am eyeing a Shiny New 4K TV and here i came across one thing which i cant seem to understand. I am interested in Samsung Q80T QLED (2020 Model) and some models supports "Dolby 5.1 Decoder" and some models don't.

What exactly is this and it can affect me in my Listening experience ?

why is there no 3rd party tizen media player we can use? that has the dts-hd codecs, or even a port of kodi

why is there no 3rd party tizen media player we can use? that has the dts-hd codecs, or even a port of kodi

Because despite how we feel about this subject, the loss of DTS is a niche issue only cared about by the enthusiast audience.

Joe Public just doesn't care. Which is part of the reason that Samsung dropped support in the first place.

Hi everyone,
I'm a bit late to the party but if anyone is up for the task, I need help 'cause this is driving me nuts.

So I have an older Onkyo audio recevier (the model is SR507), a Samsung Q49 series TV and a Plex server (running on Ubuntu, on an older laptop, that should stream quite nicely though).

So, I've ran a number of combinations and no matter what I do, Plex still seems to transcode DTS files and I don't know how to get around it. My Onkyo receiver does support DTS
The TV and my laptop (Plex server) are connected through the receiver in the followint order:

Laptop - out HDMI -> Onkyo HDMI In
TV -> HDMI ARC -> Onkyo HDMI Tv/Tape
TV -> Optical Out -> Onkyo Optical In
Both the server and the TV are wired to my router (nothing is wireless).

No matter how I config the TV/Recier connection settings (meaning no matter what settings I choose in my receiver's menu regarding DTS decoding) I still get Dolby Digital on the receiver's screen Plex still seems to transcode the source.
Now if I play a DTS file directly from my server (ubuntu), the receiver does go in the mode I set DTS decoding to from my reciver (in this case PureAudio), but not if I play it through Plex, confirming that Plex still transcodes the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone,
I'm a bit late to the party but if anyone is up for the task, I need help 'cause this is driving me nuts.

So I have an older Onkyo audio recevier (the model is SR507), a Samsung Q49 series TV and a Plex server (running on Ubuntu, on an older laptop, that should stream quite nicely though).

So, I've ran a number of combinations and no matter what I do, Plex still seems to transcode DTS files and I don't know how to get around it. My Onkyo receiver does support DTS
The TV and my laptop (Plex server) are connected through the receiver in the followint order:

Laptop - out HDMI -> Onkyo HDMI In
TV -> HDMI ARC -> Onkyo HDMI Tv/Tape
TV -> Optical Out -> Onkyo Optical In
Both the server and the TV are wired to my router (nothing is wireless).

No matter how I config the TV/Recier connection settings (meaning no matter what settings I choose in my receiver's menu regarding DTS decoding) I still get Dolby Digital on the receiver's screen Plex still seems to transcode the source.
Now if I play a DTS file directly from my server (ubuntu), the receiver does go in the mode I set DTS decoding to from my reciver (in this case PureAudio), but not if I play it through Plex, confirming that Plex still transcodes the file.

What am I doing wrong?

If you are using the Plex app on the TV, you aren't doing anything wrong, this is the expected behaviour; Plex will detect that the TV can't decode DTS and therefore transcode the audio, most likely into AAC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom