Samsung tv may have given up

Jack8745

Standard Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

About two weeks ago I went to turn my tv on (UE50F6400AKXXU) and was greeted with a black screen but I could hear sound from the sky box connected, I looked online and people were saying to unplug the tv for 60 seconds which I did and it worked, on Monday it done the same so I followed the same steps but this time it’s not giving me a picture but I can still hear the sound.

I’ve given up hope of it working again and I’ve been looking for a new tv, I’m looking in the range of 55-65 inches and I mainly use it to watch football, F1 and other sports, it’ll be going in a bedroom.

I’m not sure what tv to replace it with as it’s been a while since I’ve had to buy a new one and I’m not clued up on it all.

I could probably stretch to £1000 for a new one

Appreciate any help given.

What type of Sky box? Sky+HD or Sky Q?
Using your TV's remote are you able to call up the TV menu and is it visible on screen?

What type of Sky box? Sky+HD or Sky Q?
Using your TV's remote are you able to call up the TV menu and is it visible on screen?
Sky Q mini box, I can get the menu up but can’t see it on the screen, I can hear if I scroll through it

If you cannot see the TV's menu (I don't mean the Sky menu) that suggests there's a fault with the TV backlights.

If you cannot see the TV's menu (I don't mean the Sky menu) that suggests there's a fault with the TV backlights.
Yeah, I can’t see the menu or say the volume but I can hear it, when the room is dark you can see a slight back light as you can see from the pictures I’ve attached.

Attachments

• 8D424543-16CA-4A7F-A5F0-978BFB240BCA.jpeg
    8D424543-16CA-4A7F-A5F0-978BFB240BCA.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 31B3EB3C-DE48-4AB8-88C1-C11C5FFF41F7.jpeg
    31B3EB3C-DE48-4AB8-88C1-C11C5FFF41F7.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 65
I had a similar issue to yours with my Samsung.

A new power board for £25 and a couple of hours work fixed it.

The TV is done just now so it won't cost you anything to open it up and do a bit of diagnosis. I just watched some Youtube TV repair videos. It wasn't difficult, no special tools or skills required. It was just a bit fiddly.

Of course, this being an AV forum you maybe need an excuse for a larger TV..... :p

Still, once you have it you could then try to repair this one and consign it to a spare room.

I had a similar issue to yours with my Samsung.

A new power board for £25 and a couple of hours work fixed it.

The TV is done just now so it won't cost you anything to open it up and do a bit of diagnosis. I just watched some Youtube TV repair videos. It wasn't difficult, no special tools or skills required. It was just a bit fiddly.

Of course, this being an AV forum you maybe need an excuse for a larger TV..... :p

Still, once you have it you could then try to repair this one and consign it to a spare room.
Would it be the power board? The tv turns on and I can hear sound

I can get the XH9505 65 inch refurbished for £783 or I can do as someone else on this forum and go 55 inch from richer sounds for £850 with a price guarantee

Would it be the power board? The tv turns on and I can hear sound

I had the same symptoms but doing some diagnostics by watching some Youtube vids would be advised.
The power board wasn't powering up the backlight so I had no picture, but the TV was switching on and, like you, I could hear content.

I had the same symptoms but doing some diagnostics by watching some Youtube vids would be advised.
The power board wasn't powering up the backlight so I had no picture, but the TV was switching on and, like you, I could hear content.
I’ll give it a try, like you say for £20-30 it’s worth a go I guess

By disconnecting one of the circuits, this confirmed it was the power board as when I did it, the backlight then switched on. But it was only on or off, no variance in it.

Samsung TVs tend to have power faults in my experience. It also comprehends with the the fact at first you were able to use the TV for a while before it failed.

You can always do the flashlight trick in the dark, if the screen is lit up at all like in your pictures though its likely not a backlight fault, they tend to be on, or off, with not much inbetween.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom