Question Samsung TV HDMI ports works only with a cheap androidbox but not working with PC, Playstation and Nintendo Switch

alaslipknot

Hi,

This has been happening randomly for the past 2 weeks, initially i thought HDMI port-1 has just stopped working, so i kept using HDMI-2, 30 minutes ago i turned on the Tv and both ports are not working, however, they are not "grayed out" (like there is no connection at all) they are both showing that there is a connection but they say there is no signal from the source, the strange thing though is that when i plug my Androidbox that has a super cheap 40Cm HDMI cable it works, and to my surprise, it also worked on the HDMI-1 which i thought it was broken 2 weeks ago.

Also just another detail, when this randomly happened last week (hdmi 2 not working too), i read somewhere that switching game mode on and off might help, and i think it did back then cause it worked again, but today everything is failing.

Is there any troubleshooting i can do ? because both HDMI inputs clearly works, but only with the most useless device i have lol, i tried the same cable that worked with the android box with the Nintendo Switch, but that also didn't work, also tried it (the cable) with a laptop, also didn't work.

I unplugged the tv off for over 5 minutes (all cable removed it from it), same result, the android box works, everything else doesn't.

And finally i tried both my Nintendo Switch and PS4 on another Tv (and a monitor) and they worked just fine as expected.

TL;DR:
Samsung Tv (UA50H5000) HDMI ports work only with androidbox, but doesn't work with PC, Playstation, and Nintendo Switch (nothing is wrong with these devices and their cables)

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The issue is likely with the video format the more capable devices are outputting - try forcing one of the other devices into low resolution output mode, hopefully if that works you can then try stepping the resolution into other modes to see what works.

Joe

alaslipknot

The issue is likely with the video format the more capable devices are outputting - try forcing one of the other devices into low resolution output mode, hopefully if that works you can then try stepping the resolution into other modes to see what works.

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks for your input, i just tried that, made the Nintendo Switch output to 720p, 480p, and also automatic, i also tried make the color range limited, still not working. same thing with PS4

the only difference is that with the PS4, the Tv randomly shows the resolution:

But the screen stays black, with the Switch and PC nothing happens.
also not sure if this is important, but with the PC, windows used to notify me whenever i plug/unplug the PC hdmi in the tv (do that device added/removed sound).

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I guess the other option is to try an Interlaced signal -1080i is worth trying.

PC to TV - would suggest the TV is not outputting any EDID, which would suggest the issue is with the TV HDMI Input or processing.

Joe

alaslipknot

I guess the other option is to try an Interlaced signal -1080i is worth trying.

PC to TV - would suggest the TV is not outputting any EDID, which would suggest the issue is with the TV HDMI Input or processing.

Joe

Thanks again for the reply Joe, i took the TV to a repair shop yesterday, will see what they come up with, i'll update the post once i receive it.

alaslipknot

Update:
Unfortunately there is no much information i can share, as the tv repair shop just replaced the motherboard with a new one, though i just want to mention that the 1080i input from the ps4 also didn't work.

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom