Samsung TV for Mother With Dementia

norfbech

Hi all - asked this on the main threads but might be more specific to Samsung owners.

Looking get my mum an upgrade to her current Samsung LCD TV (it must be at least 15 years old - 32" 'HD ready'...can't recall the model at the moment).
She's in the early stages (but steady at the moment) of dementia. I think she would be better of with a bigger set, given where she sits and the size of the screen.
Given this is one of her few pastimes (watching TV) I want the experience to be a littler bit better for her.
Giving her continuity by getting another Samsung set (which she's always loved).

My issue is she can only really use the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and up/down keys to change the channels. The TV guide/menu would be next to useless and would confuse her terribly.

I'm wondering if there's any way I can program a set/remote to have HD channels rather than the SD channels on 1, 2, 3, 4 etc on the remote? Or use a dedicated programmable remote like the One for All (and a simple version too)?

The other issue might be getting a Samsung with a built in Freeview Tuner (rather than Freesat) as she doesn't have a sat dish (and I'm not sure she'd entertain the idea).
If that's the case, then watching SD channels on a 42" + set might be a worse idea than just keeping her current set (she doesn't complain a little that's it's small).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
All Samsung TV's sold in the UK have Freeview tuners, that includes one's with built-in Freesat.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom