Samsung TV apps storage space issue

Storage manager was initially surprised but then understood the issue and said that he will be personally contacting customer support on my behalf and that I should call him this Wednesday when he will be in store to answer the phone. But usually the store policy is to contact customer support.

That's a shame.

I've only ever had an issue with one thing I bought from them; I just took it back to store and the manager swapped it there and then.

It is a shame when an experience can turn you off a store/brand, especially when that store is generally held in high regard for the thing you are struggling with. :thumbsdow

Hopefully they can sort it for you and faith can be restored. :smashin:

RS seem to blow hot and cold on this issue, depending on the branch. There's no unified approach.

Generally, judging from comments on the Samsung Community Forum they've responded well and either refunded or replaced TVs with the issue. However, I think you're now the third person I've found who has met a brick wall with RS. It's completely inconsistent and ridiculous. Unfortunately I think stupidity plays a part - some managers seem to be literally incapable of understanding what the problem is.

I've just been contacted by RS again and now I'm doing an exchange for a higher tier model. The situation has been resolved. I agree it's dependent on the branch but I think a lack of understanding of the actual issue delayed this. This exchange was an offer of goodwill so I'm willing to give RS another chance.

I've just been contacted by RS again and now I'm doing an exchange for a higher tier model. The situation has been resolved. I agree it's dependent on the branch but I think a lack of understanding of the actual issue delayed this. This exchange was an offer of goodwill so I'm willing to give RS another chance.

Excellent result.

What model are they exchanging it for?

Excellent result.

What model are they exchanging it for?
I asked if they could put it as credit so that I can use it to help pay for a different tv. I was thinking of the 49xf90 and I managed to reserve the final one in the store closest to me. It also has same day delivery so should be with me by tomorrow evening/wednesday.

I have to be honest, I admit as much as this storage space issue shouldn't be there, in what way is it detrimental to the TV?

Software updates are few and far between, the apps rarely update, and there's still enough space to install more apps if you want. And there aren't that many available anyway.

Mine has the issue but I'd much rather be focused on the quality of picture and sound, as that is the most important thing at the end of the day. Storage space is a distant secondary factor in my assessment of a 4K television.

I have to be honest, I admit as much as this storage space issue shouldn't be there, in what way is it detrimental to the TV?

Software updates are few and far between, the apps rarely update, and there's still enough space to install more apps if you want. And there aren't that many available anyway.

Mine has the issue but I'd much rather be focused on the quality of picture and sound, as that is the most important thing at the end of the day. Storage space is a distant secondary factor in my assessment of a 4K television.

I don't have the TV, but have followed the thread closely.

If I was having this issue, I would return the TV because of it.

Yes, the picture and sound are the most important factor, no argument there; but if people rely on the built in native apps of the TV and either can't add the ones they need/use or the ones they have can't update, then that makes the TV unusable for them in their use case.

Also to your point about the apps rarely updating, most of the apps on my TV have updated multiple times even in the few months I have had my TV. Though I concede this could be because I have an 8xxx series set, and be due to some sort of difference there.

I don't have the TV, but have followed the thread closely.

If I was having this issue, I would return the TV because of it.

Yes, the picture and sound are the most important factor, no argument there; but if people rely on the built in native apps of the TV and either can't add the ones they need/use or the ones they have can't update, then that makes the TV unusable for them in their use case.

Also to your point about the apps rarely updating, most of the apps on my TV have updated multiple times even in the few months I have had my TV. Though I concede this could be because I have an 8xxx series set, and be due to some sort of difference there.

Well you can manually update the apps, takes about 10 seconds each, if that. And even with the problem there's still enough room to add maybe another 10 apps.

I don't dispute it shouldn't be an issue anyway, and I'm hoping a firmware fix in future might solve the problem. But I certainly wouldn't be bothered returning a set because of it. Could end up with a far worse problem.

Each to their own though. These are expensive items, so you have to be happy with what you've got.

the apps rarely update, and there's still enough space to install more apps if you want. And there aren't that many available anyway
You'd be surprised as to how much background updates this tv does on its own. Even apps that I deleted have mysteriously reinstalled themselves. The more apps you have the more frequent the updates and the faster the available storage decreases. Considering it is a hefty investment for many people something like this can have a big impact.

You'd be surprised as to how much background updates this tv does on its own. Even apps that I deleted have mysteriously reinstalled themselves. The more apps you have the more frequent the updates and the faster the available storage decreases. Considering it is a hefty investment for many people something like this can have a big impact.

That's strange, I assume you leave the auto-update on? I have turned mine off and it does nothing. And then as I say I just update mine manually.

I've got about 50mb left, and it's stayed that way for a while now. Even with the updated apps.

Again I don't dispute that it it's an issue. But I feel like it's being slightly blown out of proportion, as unless you do want to install a lot of apps, there's no detriment to use of the TV at all.

That's strange, I assume you leave the auto-update on? I have turned mine off and it does nothing. And then as I say I just update mine manually.

I've got about 50mb left, and it's stayed that way for a while now. Even with the updated apps.

Again I don't dispute that it it's an issue. But I feel like it's being slightly blown out of proportion, as unless you do want to install a lot of apps, there's no detriment to use of the TV at all.

Respectively i have to disagree, i think its a MAJOR issue. In 2019 we should not be in a position where we buy a SMART TV that effectively is usless when it comes to downloading apps.

I had the NU7100 and although the TV itself was fine, i could not enjoy it as i was unable to download one or 2 apps maximum before i got the memory full message. That to me makes the TV broken.

Thankfully i managed to take it back to Richer Sounds (who were superb) and i now have a Q6FN with all the memory i can handle.

I also disagree with richp007. Apart from the lack of space for apps, in particular the built-in apps which can't be deleted, the memory also has to accommodate the operating system. Each firmware update eats into the small available space. In time this will run out and the TV will not be able to update its firmware. For example, the last firmware update took an additional 30MB of space on my TV.

Yes, you could switch off firmware updates as well, but that's not really a sensible way to approach the problem.

I bought the NU7400 television with the intention of installing the Steam Link APP, but, since the imposed undeletable Apps that have automatically been downloaded, there is not enough memory! Samsung have now stated that I should now buy extra external memory. They also stated that as this is a software problem it is not covered under their warranty! The Operating System uses up about 750MB of the memory leaving a maximum of 60mb for all other apps not including software updates!

I am attempting to get a refund via Richer Sounds

I bought the NU7400 television with the intention of installing the Steam Link APP, but, since the imposed undeletable Apps that have automatically been downloaded, there is not enough memory! Samsung have now stated that I should now buy extra external memory. They also stated that as this is a software problem it is not covered under their warranty! The Operating System uses up about 750MB of the memory leaving a maximum of 60mb for all other apps not including software updates!

I am attempting to get a refund via Richer Sounds
Good luck. Samsung refused to state it as a fault so I had to pay a 10% restocking fee.

Thanks for this, I will post your link on the Samsung customer's site where there's a massive thread about this issue. If PiHole is used to block requests to Samsung servers, will that stop normal OS updates and therefore is it a security risk?

Thanks for this, I will post your link on the Samsung customer's site where there's a massive thread about this issue. If PiHole is used to block requests to Samsung servers, will that stop normal OS updates and therefore is it a security risk?
Just half hour ago I received a message about TV has update. And no, this didn't block updates, if you worry about security.
Also, apps could return again, if didn't add additional blocks in PiHole. But anyway - you can get more space for update your TV or Apps.

Last edited:
Someone on the Samsung Community site has tried your fix but it doesn't work. As soon as you restart the TV the deleted apps come back, which I thought would happen. Samsung cannot allow them to be permanently deleted because they are part of the platform and generate revenue.

Pi-hole might be an option but it looks complicated to install and would stop future firmware updates, which is a security issue, unless you're saying that it blocks the apps downloading again but allows firmware updates? That would be pretty clever.

You might want to join in on the thread, which I started in December 2018 and it's still going!

Yes, I know - but only if Samsung servers will denied with PiHole it could be deleted forever yes and need to delete it a few times. Because all applications after update TV or apps store in TV and could to return even if full disconnect TV from internet, I don't know which place Samsung uses for store the files for full remove the files from TV, I know only location for apps which I develop, but is different locations for apps from store and apps from developer.

Anyway my app can help to delete all apps and release a bit more memory to update TV or other apps if a user has the issue about storage. It works already for 3 peoples as I know.

I full understand you. And I don't spam I just to answer you. And it's works. You can just to see a video and follow space bar on TV -

81.63Mb at the start and 86.64Mb free at the end after few apps was deleted. If you know how create the video as a fake will glad to see it.
I say why is return. Because TV has a cache of the apps inside and after reload just to install it again. The apps it's archives like a zip files, and install it's just to unarchive. That all.

So what is the point of deleting the apps if they come back when you turn on the TV?

That is enough for resolve the problem:
1605967169563.png

Just to delete all pre-install and un-used apps -> update what you need. Done. Now can to reboot your TV.
If you start to use PiHole or any filters on your router or another approaches how to block samsung servers with apps, you can to delete it forever. TV clean internal memory around once in a day maybe in the week, don't know and after delete apps they never install again after reboot until you return access to servers.

So my app just to help to delete apps for update another apps. It's works for me and works already for few people. It's enough for me.

in short:
Without blocks to servers - it's remove apps until full reboot TV, but enough for resolve "insufficient storage" problem.
With blocks - you can delete it forever but need to do it a few time. I spent around 3 days, when test the app. But you can't update apps, because to block servers. But can update TV OS (different servers for apps and for OS)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom