Question Samsung TV and Dolby digital plus

Slim1211

Novice Member
Morning all

I have a Samsung ue40ku6020 which I believe is from 2016 and a pioneer vsx 933 AV

They are connected via HDMI ARC. My issue is that Dolby digital plus is not an option in the TV settings menu even though the TV manual says it supports DD+ and my AV definitely does. Why is this? I have all the TV settings to bitstream etc with CEC enabled. Am I missing something in the AV settings?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
DD+ is a source format, not an option you can set. The Bitstream setting means "pass whatever you get, unaltered", as opposed to PCM, which means "convert to stereo LPCM".

If the broadcast is DD+ (there are none where I live), and the TV is set to Bitstream (as you have confirmed), the TV should pass DD+ to the AVR over ARC.

Slim1211

Novice Member
DD+ is a source format, not an option you can set. The Bitstream setting means "pass whatever you get, unaltered", as opposed to PCM, which means "convert to stereo LPCM".

If the broadcast is DD+ (there are none where I live), and the TV is set to Bitstream (as you have confirmed), the TV should pass DD+ to the AVR over ARC.
I'm not saying you're wrong but while looking into this I've seen TV audio options with

PCM
Dolby digital
Dolby digital +
DTS neo 2

And more that I can't remember but I've definitely seen Dolby digital plus as an option under Dolby digital. My AV just displays DD or you can change it to DDsur but that's it. I do have a red Dolby logo above the main display come up though but I think that just means some form of Dolby audio is coming into the AV.

Slim1211

Novice Member
Just found an interesting change petition claiming 2016 Samsung models claim to support DD+ in the manual ( which mine says it does) when they in fact do not so I think that's that.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
AFAIK, your specific TV model supports forwarding of bitstream (originally received audio) or conversion to stereo PCM, but doesn't offer extraction of the AC-3 stream (DD) embedded into the E-AC-3 signal (DD+), or simulation of 5.1 from stereo (dts:neo), which is what the other TVs you've seen offer. It's also not important in your case, as your Pioneer either offers or doesn't need this and hence you don't need the TV to do it.

The big question is whether you are receiving a DD+ broadcast. The TV's and AVR's on-screen information menus should show this when it occurs (E-AC-3 rather than AC-3). Typically it's only available via satellite, although some countries (not where I live) offer it over cable.

Slim1211

Novice Member
AFAIK, your specific TV model supports forwarding of bitstream (originally received audio) or conversion to stereo PCM, but doesn't offer extraction of the AC-3 stream (DD) embedded into the E-AC-3 signal (DD+), or simulation of 5.1 from stereo (dts:neo), which is what the other TVs you've seen offer. It's also not important in your case, as your Pioneer either offers or doesn't need this and hence you don't need the TV to do it.

The big question is whether you are receiving a DD+ broadcast. The TV's and AVR's on-screen information menus should show this when it occurs (E-AC-3 rather than AC-3). Typically it's only available via satellite, although some countries (not where I live) offer it over cable.
That's some good info thanks for the help

Do have one question though, if my AV can so it all for me what should I be seeing on the AV display? Will it not actually show DD+, will it have PCM or E-AC-3 at the top of the display as a little logo, same as when I get a little DD logo?

Again thanks for the help only just got into all this ( can you tell?) and it's a bit of a minefield of information with things changing and being updated or just straight up not working etc

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Do have one question though, if my AV can so it all for me what should I be seeing on the AV display? Will it not actually show DD+, will it have PCM or E-AC-3 at the top of the display as a little logo, same as when I get a little DD logo?
I'm not sure what your Pioneer will display on-screen, the manual doesn't discuss it. The front panel only has a DD indicator bell-and-whistle.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Most if not all AV receivers able to handle and decode Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) would specifically indicate its presence using the Dolby Digital Plus wording or using the "+" symbol. If not seeing the word "Plus" or the "+" after the words Dolby Digital then it isn't Dolby Digital Plus nd will be just Dolby Digital.

Slim1211

Novice Member
Most if not all AV receivers able to handle and decode Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) would specifically indicate its presence using the Dolby Digital Plus wording or using the "+" symbol. If not seeing the word "Plus" or the "+" after the words Dolby Digital then it isn't Dolby Digital Plus nd will be just Dolby Digital.
Yeah I'm almost certain it would be displaying DD+ as when I've seen this AV running Dolby Atmos it actually says Atmos in the display. Ill stream something I know is DD+ through it and check to see if any E-AC-3 is displayed when I get back. I know Mark has said it shouldn't matter what the TV can or can't do as the AV is capable but if that's the case why isn't it working? Again I know Mark said about content but I know the content supports DD+.

From what I've read up it keeps going back to the fact the TV cannot decode DD+ and the source is the TV connected via ARC so it's not going to work but from what Marks said that may not be right?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The TV would actually still need the ability to convey DD+ via ARC even if the AV receiver is DD+ capable. Not all earlier TVs that came with ARC abilities also included the ability to output DD+ via ARC.

Note that unless wanting access to Atmos soundtracks on Netflix or Amazon for example then you'd not really be gaining that much by having access to DD+ over and above DD. DD+ can potentially have a higher bitrate than DD and the DD core included with DD+ will result in a higher bitrate, but you'd be hard pushed to perceive any audible improvement. THe main advantage associated with it is its ability to include Atmos metadata.

Last edited:

Slim1211

Novice Member
The TV would actually still need the ability to cnvey DD+ via ARC even if the AV receiver is DD+ capable. Not all earlier TVs that came with ARC abilities also included the ability to output DD+ via ARC.

Note that unless wanting access to Atmos soundtracks on Netflix or Amazon for example then you'd not really be gaining that much by having access to DD+ over and above DD. DD+ can potentially have a higher bitrate than DD and the DD core included with DD+ will result in a higher bitrate, but you'd be hard pushed to perceive any audible improvement. THe main advantage associated with it is its ability to include Atmos metadata.
Yeah sounds about right to me, I didn't get the set up for Atmos but seeing as my 5.1.2 is set up for it imma go get myself an LG OLED TV I think. Been thinking about it for a while now and the place near me has a good deal on the C8 as the new ones are coming but they are bit too pricey for me. Thanks for your help.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Ill stream something I know is DD+ through it and check to see if any E-AC-3 is displayed when I get back.
What was the result of this experiment? Does the TV recognize the DD+ (in its menu) and does the AVR receive it (as per its on-screen display).

There are known issues with DD+ support in Samsung's Apps, which is why I keep harping on about testing using DD+ broadcasts.

Slim1211

Novice Member
What was the result of this experiment? Does the TV recognize the DD+ (in its menu) and does the AVR receive it (as per its on-screen display).

There are known issues with DD+ support in Samsung's Apps, which is why I keep harping on about testing using DD+ broadcasts.
Nope I tried various broadcasts like you suggested and Neftlix / Amazon prime but didn't get any DD+ or E-AC-3 notification. I do have a little red dobly logo when playing The Expanse on Amazon prime.

I think your right about signal though, Idon't think it's faulty hardware as fair as the AV goes I'm just not getting a DD+ signal through broadcast but when it comes to streaming services the TV just can't do it. I'm getting the LG tomorrow so I'll let you know what the AV displays when it's all set up.

Stuarc73

Novice Member
Just found an interesting change petition claiming 2016 Samsung models claim to support DD+ in the manual ( which mine says it does) when they in fact do not so I think that's that.
[/QUOTE I've been searching for an answer such as this and this reply may have solved it. I have the Samsung Ue65ks9000 TV and on my sound options, it's either PCM, DOLBY DIGITAL or DTS NEO. THE DTS option is greyed out!

goatlips

My Samsung tv plays Dolby digital plus but only on Netflix and you have to manually select it in the tvs sound settings everytime. It doesnt default to that format.

Stuarc73

Novice Member
I have read that my model 65ue9000ks is listed as DD+, but does not actually have that sound option. All I have seen on my AUDIO FORMAT is PCM, DD, DTS (GREYED OUT) and NEO 2:5?? Strange!!.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom