Samsung TV 55HU8500 TXXU Overheating Message

glojo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is a common issue but I tried a quick search and failed miserably

First thing in the morning I sometimes get a message saying the TV will shut down as there is an overheating issue.

I switch the TV off, back on again and hey presto, no further message. A week, or maybe two or three weeks later, back comes that same message and switching off and on again clears the problem.

My thoughts are that I want to fix this issue whilst I have a working TV. I am extremely loath to replace this item as my family LOVE watching 3D films.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I’ve read that Samsung one connect boxes can get hot, do you hear the fan running in yours,

I’ve read that Samsung one connect boxes can get hot, do you hear the fan running in yours,
Hi Depot
The message only ever comes on within 30 seconds or so of switching on my TV. The box is in the same place it has always been which is a TV cabinet with ventilation holes at the rear.

My room does get warm at the very height of summer but obviously that does not apply at the moment and to answer your question., this cabinet door is always closed so I never hear a fan.

Is there an easy way of taking the box apart just in case the might be a build-up of dust?

I ask this question not because I am lazy, but because I am bed-bound and will have to get someone to do this if you think it might be a cause.

Thank you very much for the reply

John

I don’t have a Samsung, but the one connect boxes are known to get hot, plus I believe that your model has a fan, if you have someone who could listen to it, when you turn on the tv, might give you a idea, found this on YouTube, not sure I want to try it myself

I have had more than one, one connect box and although they run warm I have never once had a warning message so it isn't normal. Glojo, where is the box, has it plenty of ventilation? Can you possibly direct a fan at it?

Hi Depot,
I think you have hit that proverbial 'Head on the nail'. When my son is able to visit, I will show him that excellent and very informative Youtube link. I note how the person states the warning comes on shortly after switching the TV on and that is exactly what I experience.

Thank you very much.

Cuke,
I accept you do not have a problem, but sadly I do. The television is no spring chicken and I guess this may well mean that over the years it might have sucked in this dust.

I do not think the location is relevant purely because when I get this message, the warning is nearly immediate. NOT every time and NOT at the height of the day or when it is warm.

I don’t have a Samsung, but the one connect boxes are known to get hot, plus I believe that your model has a fan, if you have someone who could listen to it, when you turn on the tv, might give you a idea, found this on YouTube, not sure I want to try it myself

I have never be known for having patience, and sure enough, I got my wife to disconnect this box and MUCH to my surprise, no trace of any dust on those external vents.

Stripped the box and the only place I found ANY dust was on the actual fan blades. This was an extremely light coating of what I would describe as 'fine' dust. More like a grey talcum powder. No signs of any dust on the motherboard or those vanes on some sort of computer bits. She who must be obeyed did a good job of vacuuming the motherboard and fan.

I have put it all back together and the good news is, everything still works :)

Gloom, gloom, gloom and doom,
Switched on the TV this morning at 8am. The room was cold, the interior of the TV cabinet was cold but as soon as the TV was switched on, up came that message about overheating!

I am at least confident this is not caused by any type of build-up of dust and incidentally, unlike that Youtube clip, there is NO trace of any type of overheating inside the box.

I switched off the TV, immediately switched it back on again and no sign of any message, plus, during the day, there has NEVER been a single warning. The set will be on now until 9pm -10pm which, if there is a heat issue, then would there be consequences?

The TV will be six years old in August of this year and should I expect the box to last longer than this?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom