samsung tu8500 vs philips pus9005

sloaney007

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time reader. First time poster.

looking for a low tier tv for my dining room. Will be wall mounted, around 55”, viewing angles won’t be an issue as will be sat at the dining table. Will mostly be watching sports so motion will be important. Looking to spend £600 max.

what do we think of either samsung tu8500 or philips pus9005? I need to purchase from curry’s or Amazon as I have vouchers to use.

thanks in advance.

philips pus9005 would be a VA at 58 inch and have the bias lights if you prefer them.

Best spending little rather than more when it comes to buying a low tier model. The TU8500 and Philips 9 series are a lot of money considering you aren't getting picture quality that's discernibly different from much cheaper options.

The only exception to this rule would be the Hisense U7Q. You can see all recommendations in my guide here:

Thanks. So am I better off buying a HISENSE 55U7QFTUK?
Depends what you want to spend, someone else said they found that TV for 370 recently...so compared to other TVs, including the ones you've mentioned its a lot better value.

Since you mention motion though you'd actually be better off looking at the high tier U8Q at Costco at the minute for 500. It has a 120hz panel so you can use motion interpolation to get better motion in sport.

If you can jump to the mid tier Sony XH9005 then you'll start to get a TV that's a bit better with motion again.

Low tier TVs are not good for sport usually, although some people are happy with them.

no the other tvs or the HISENSE 55U7QFTUK will wipe it unless you need to have good viewing angles but worst picture

if you watch in bright light the LG will be OK but very bad in a dark room.

I’m so confused. Nano86 is in the mid tier in the guide but it’s not as good as the other 2 which are in the low tier in the guide? I’ve read up on hisense and it’s not recommended for sport due to bad motion blur which is exactly what I need the tv for.

For your uses the LG is a good choice due to 120hz panel, it uses an IPS type panel which has less motion blur than VA type which is nice for sport.

Downsides will be poor blacks/dark room performance.

Its better than the other TVs mentioned apart from the Hisense U8Q. Hisense U7Q has better HDR, but uses only 60hz panel, so isn't as good for sport.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom