Samsung TU8500 TV - white balance settings in service menu ?

JamieBee

Hi

Samsung Tech Support changed my white balance settings yesterday on the hidden service menu to try and fix an HDR content being too dark problem but since they did, the picture is far too bright and over saturated. I didn't (and they didn't suggest) take a picture of the settings before changing all of them to 128. I have attached a picture of the relevant screen and settings.

I have called them and they suggested a factory reset, which hasn’t fixed it. I told them I tried this last night but she insisted we did it again. She doesn’t know what the default values should be and now I’m waiting for a callback.

Yesterday, I was told to change them all to 128. Does anyone know what these figures would have been as default ? Can any TU8500 owners check their settings and let me know to help me out ? Very frustrating.

Attachments

• 92F7D682-A86E-4BF4-8176-B2931FFAE944.jpeg
    92F7D682-A86E-4BF4-8176-B2931FFAE944.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Dodgexander

I've moved this to the Samsung section. Hopefully someone with the same TV can help you out.
Here's my 1p.

1. If you make changes in the normal TVs settings, a factory reset will reset them to default. If however these settings have been changed in the service menu, a factory reset likely will not. Samsung shouldn't have told you to enter the service menu and make changes, since the service menu is designed for engineers only. However, if you can replicate entering the service menu again (and want to take the risk) you can enter it and try and search for the factory reset option there. Beware, this may break the TV in other areas, since by doing this you are also factory resetting the values the engineer pinned in at the end of its production.

2. HDR places demands on TVs which means its very normal for the picture to be washed out, or too dark on TVs like the TU8500. This is because it misses both local dimming and higher peak brightness which are necessities to use HDR problem free on LCD TVs. Its not a fault with the TV, but a trait of every TV with similar spec.

3. In your shoes I'd probably just key in the white balance settings from the rtings.com review of the TU8000. Its likely going to be much easier to do that, than to try and search for the default values (and ask someone else to take the risk of entering the service menu).

JamieBee

I've moved this to the Samsung section. Hopefully someone with the same TV can help you out.
Here's my 1p.

1. If you make changes in the normal TVs settings, a factory reset will reset them to default. If however these settings have been changed in the service menu, a factory reset likely will not. Samsung shouldn't have told you to enter the service menu and make changes, since the service menu is designed for engineers only. However, if you can replicate entering the service menu again (and want to take the risk) you can enter it and try and search for the factory reset option there. Beware, this may break the TV in other areas, since by doing this you are also factory resetting the values the engineer pinned in at the end of its production.

2. HDR places demands on TVs which means its very normal for the picture to be washed out, or too dark on TVs like the TU8500. This is because it misses both local dimming and higher peak brightness which are necessities to use HDR problem free on LCD TVs. Its not a fault with the TV, but a trait of every TV with similar spec.

3. In your shoes I'd probably just key in the white balance settings from the rtings.com review of the TU8000. Its likely going to be much easier to do that, than to try and search for the default values (and ask someone else to take the risk of entering the service menu).
Thanks for the reply. I am not happy that they asked me to change the settings and either 1) didn't suggest I made a note of the default settings or 2) know the default settings themselves. They told me earlier they need to look into and will call me back in a few hours and that was about 930 !

Oh I am only asking if anyone can send me a pic of their settings, I don't want anyone to tinker with theirs.

I have looked at the review you referred to but I can't see the WB settings from the service menu. They don't seem to relate to the ones I have ? Mine are currently all 128 and from memory, were all from about 100 to 150 odd prior to me calling Samsung.

JamieBee

Thanks for the reply. I am not happy that they asked me to change the settings and either 1) didn't suggest I made a note of the default settings or 2) know the default settings themselves. They told me earlier they need to look into and will call me back in a few hours and that was about 930 !

Oh I am only asking if anyone can send me a pic of their settings, I don't want anyone to tinker with theirs.

I have looked at the review you referred to but I can't see the WB settings from the service menu. They don't seem to relate to the ones I have ? Mine are currently all 128 and from memory, were all from about 100 to 150 odd prior to me calling Samsung.

I found a clip on YouTube of someone going through the service menus and used the settings from there, which has improved the picture. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom