Question Samsung TU8500 or LG Nano79 —- 50 inch TV

Daveboi7

I’m specifically looking for a VA. I’ve seen the TU8500 and the contrast is great for what it is.

However I also have a 65” Nano81 and the webOS is amazing so would love to have it in my next TV.

Seeing as the NANO79 comes in 50” which will be VA, I’m wondering what features are missing (compared to 81), and if it’s VA would be as good as Samsung’s in terms of contrast. I can’t seem to find any reviews for the 50 inch LG online anywhere!

Use cases are watching Netflix in a dark room and gaming on PS5.

I understand the limitations of HDR and that there are better alternatives to these two (Hisense and TCL) but these are the options that i

Dodgexander

It will be the same as the Nano 80/81 but available at 50". Basically the same TV as the cheaper 50" LGs but with a wider colour gamut (only useful for HDR which is going to look bad on this TV) and an extra HDMI port.

I'd go with one of the cheaper 50" LGs instead like UN7000 or UN7400. TVs like the Nano79 fit into the pointless spec category to me, I'm not sure why they exist. What is the point of putting Nanocell tech on a TV with budget specs? The outcome is you get better colours if you use HDR, but still end up not wanting to use HDR due to problems with the picture quality caused by displaying HDR on a dim TV without good local dimming.

If I were you I'd just spend less on one of the cheaper 50" models unless you need 4 HDMI ports..and even if you need 4 the 50" UN8000 is probably going to be cheaper and better value.

Daveboi7

It will be the same as the Nano 80/81 but available at 50". Basically the same TV as the cheaper 50" LGs but with a wider colour gamut (only useful for HDR which is going to look bad on this TV) and an extra HDMI port.

I'd go with one of the cheaper 50" LGs instead like UN7000 or UN7400. TVs like the Nano79 fit into the pointless spec category to me, I'm not sure why they exist. What is the point of putting Nanocell tech on a TV with budget specs? The outcome is you get better colours if you use HDR, but still end up not wanting to use HDR due to problems with the picture quality caused by displaying HDR on a dim TV without good local dimming.

If I were you I'd just spend less on one of the cheaper 50" models unless you need 4 HDMI ports..and even if you need 4 the 50" UN8000 is probably going to be cheaper and better value.

hmmm, I’ll have a look!

Would you say it’s a bad year overall to buy a TV? With what Samsung’s doing with the QLED (Recucing the set quality but keeping the number and price (Q70T = Q60R, TU8xxx = Ru7400).
And with other brands following suit, it seems as if we are getting less and less TV each year for the same price!

I remember when the NU8000 was released by Samsung and it was amazing compared to the TU.

Dodgexander

hmmm, I’ll have a look!

Would you say it’s a bad year overall to buy a TV? With what Samsung’s doing with the QLED (Recucing the set quality but keeping the number and price (Q70T = Q60R, TU8xxx = Ru7400).
And with other brands following suit, it seems as if we are getting less and less TV each year for the same price!

I remember when the NU8000 was released by Samsung and it was amazing compared to the TU.
Yes its pretty poor. I've been struggling to think about the format of my new yearly best buy guide because there's not a host of good options this year compared to last.

The only TVs that stand out this year really for value for money are TVs that have major downsides. Although when you are shopping at cheaper price points what you can get for the money today is similar to last year.

One TV that does stand out compared to other budget TVs is the Hisense U7Q. With local dimming and twice the brightness of LG TVs the same size it will be quite a bit better than those with HDR...although still quite dim for HDR standards.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom