Samsung TU Series Owners Thread

Just realised I’ve been an idiot and trying to output 4K from my non pro PS4 :facepalm:. I have another question though, I read somewhere about HDR+ mode that upscale non UHD content but can’t find this option. Any ideas?

Also, how do you switch HDR on and off? Sorry for all the questions.
Daft question but, have you read the manual? It's available here.

Paul

Just realised I’ve been an idiot and trying to output 4K from my non pro PS4 :facepalm:. I have another question though, I read somewhere about HDR+ mode that upscale non UHD content but can’t find this option. Any ideas?

"HDR isn't the same as 4k res. You don't upscale to HDR"

( Source )

You might be thinking of "Dynamic" picture mode that is using the HDR processing to give SDR content a higher range of dark and light levels.

I am no expert ,the black/contrast look fine to me .I have been watching 4k content on YouTube and it has really impressed me over the samsung
Oh Great Haha!! I thought going for the 43TU7000 was finally my choice
You started Doubt in my head LOL

We tried a Huge LG55UN7300 and had to return it ,,, we were Over-whelmed by the BRIGHT Huge Display ..... Our VIZIO E43-F1 display funked out , so we need a decent replacement for 9 foot Straight On Viewing. What do you think ,,, is there a 43Inch LG better than the 43 TU7000? If you do not mind me asking ... we are in USA

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I've read about HDR+ (not HDR10+) which is a Samsung mode of upscaling that can be switched on or off

Anyone get this ? I spent ages adjusting the picture settings and could never get it right for anything plugged into the HDMI ports. Then I just started switching it into game mode for everything .... DVD's, Freeview and now it looks great.

anyone has this model tu7000 for ps5? How it looks?
It looks great on the PC, don't know about PS5.

However on my model UE43TU7110KXXU the native display is not 3840x2160 but 4096x2160. Visually this is very obvious. The Samsung manual says ...

"The native resolution is 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz with the Input Signal Plus set to On. The native resolution is 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz with the Input Signal Plus set to Off."

( 2020 43" TU7110 Crystal UHD 4K HDR Smart TV | Samsung Support IE )

This is just plain wrong. The issue could possibly be something to do with the type of panel I have. I don't know what resolution the PS5 would use.

anyone has this model tu7000 for ps5? How it looks?
I have a TU8000, which is broadly similar, and it looks OK with my PS5, even before I calibrated it. HDR isn't fantastic but, it's not horrific either.
It looks great on the PC, don't know about PS5.

However on my model UE43TU7110KXXU the native display is not 3840x2160 but 4096x2160. Visually this is very obvious. The Samsung manual says ...

( 2020 43" TU7110 Crystal UHD 4K HDR Smart TV | Samsung Support IE )

This is just plain wrong. The issue could possibly be something to do with the type of panel I have. I don't know what resolution the PS5 would use.
The TV does have a native resolution of 3840x2160, the 4096x2160 you mention is an input format. The TV will still display that as 3840x2160, scaling it to fit, as it doesn't have any more pixels available to show it with 4096 vertical lines.

Paul

I have a TU8000, which is broadly similar, and it looks OK with my PS5, even before I calibrated it. HDR isn't fantastic but, it's not horrific either.

The TV does have a native resolution of 3840x2160, the 4096x2160 you mention is an input format. The TV will still display that as 3840x2160, scaling it to fit, as it doesn't have any more pixels available to show it with 4096 vertical lines.

Paul
Thanks but there's no such thing an "input format". 4096 is the resolution the display is going into and is reported as such by the TV's own HUD. 4096 is clearly the native resolution of the display. This is especially obvious in Ghost Recon Wildlands where to begin with, even with AMD Integer Scaling (IS) on (1920x1080 -> 3840x2160) everything was appalling blurry and out of focus. As soon as I found a way to force 4096 with IS (2048x1080 -> 4096x2160) the game MASSIVELY jumped out of the screen. Everything is as sharp as a pin and Wildlands looks totally sick in this mode. The difference is that dramatic.

Thanks but there's no such thing an "input format". 4096 is the resolution the display is going into and is reported as such by the TV's own HUD. 4096 is clearly the native resolution of the display. This is especially obvious in Ghost Recon Wildlands where to begin with, even with AMD Integer Scaling (IS) on (1920x1080 -> 3840x2160) everything was appalling blurry and out of focus. As soon as I found a way to force 4096 with IS (2048x1080 -> 4096x2160) the game MASSIVELY jumped out of the screen. Everything is as sharp as a pin and Wildlands looks totally sick in this mode. The difference is that dramatic.
OK, what would you call the video that is being fed into the TV? To me, that's the input format.

The TV's native resolution, as with every other '4K' TV, is 3840x2160. Feel free to count the pixels if you think I'm making it up.

And that 'HUD' as you call it is giving you information on what the TV is seeing at its input. Not what it's displaying. You've clearly demonstrated this from your comments, where you've stated your video card is outputting 4096x2160... Try changing the video card's output to 1920x1080 and then see what the 'HUD' tells you. I'd wager it states 1920x1080 as the resolution.

The scaling issue you've mentioned points at the graphics card being at fault, not the TV. It suggests the graphics card can't output 3840x2160 correctly, for whatever reason. Out of interest, what does it look like if the graphics card isn't doing any scaling?

Paul

OK I think I know what you're saying. For example ...

Panel native res is 3840. Just bc it accepts 4096 doesn't mean that's native res. The signal is interpolated and downgraded to squeeze that extra pixels to fit 3840.
( Source )

However this is not born out by my experience. Everything was blurry in any other modes with GPU scaling (Integer Scaling) on or off. I knew this because when I first got the TV and used it with my old graphics card (a AM R9 380) for the first time with Wildlands it went straight into 4096x2160 and looked absolutely stunning. However the old card could not do HDR and other functions properly due to being only HDMI 1.4. So I got hold of a AMD RX590 (really nice card) for the HDMI 2.0b. Things were different so I initially had trouble getting to 4096x2160 due to all these interacting settings. HDR on/off, input signal plus on/off. Game mode forces input signal plus on. Plus I was getting all sorts of setting on both the TV, Windows and AMD changing themselves all the time which was driving me up the wall to be honest, lol. However I persevered even though I thought I'd imagined the stunning quality of Wildlands @ 4096. I was seeing blur in all other modes and starting wondering if I was actually dealing with placebo. However when I finally got Wildlands back into full 4096 4K the effect was immediately stunning. Graphics are crystal clear with all processing turned off. No sharpening on either the game or the TV. AA turned off. How can this be if the TV is processing the 4096 down to 3840 and 3840 blurs Wildlands out ? There is clearly something going on here and I now know I am not imagining it (no placebo). I probably need to do a more objective test using test images to completely convince others.

Here is someone else with a similar experience ...
I was just about to give up, then I started to play with nVidia settings. With HDR still on, I decided to not use the native resolution and selected the one just above at 4096 x 2160 and the screen got super bright
( Source )

I wonder if it's a bug with the AMD drivers. Have a look at this.

And what do you have your screen ratio set to in the Samsung? It should be 'Screen Fit', which will give you a 1:1 pixel mapping.

Paul

And what do you have your screen ratio set to in the Samsung? It should be 'Screen Fit', which will give you a 1:1 pixel mapping.

Paul

YES ! I think you cracked it ! 🎰

I created the resolution and suddenly things are all sharp again in 3846x2160 (Screen Fit was on). This continued even after I deleted the custom resolution. I did not even use his recomended figure but the automatic one's provided by the AMD CVT (Vesa) setting. To completely confirm I need a more objective test than looking at my characters beard in game, lol. Maybe not a bad test as I can see every beard hair clearly now 😄 (1920x1080 Integer Scaled to 3840x2160).

So no wonder I thought 4096 was "native" as it can't have been subject to this bug and was only a few hundred pixels off the "recommended" 3848x2160 to appear sharp enough ?

This is a really irritating bug. I need to put in a bug report to AMD about this. I suggest everyone else does too if you can as this bug ruins what is otherwise a very good TV.

Anyone experienced the apps on the TV stopping?

Now Disney, Nanomid, C4 ITV BBC apps, all refuse to open. Netflix and Prime still work, but most others refuse to open.

Not a problem on mine. Try a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the TV powers off and back on again then let go

Hi, i'm thinking of buying Samsung 50 inch TU series, which one is better? I don't play games, tv will be only for Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, Plex and movies from HDD. I like TU85 because it's on one stand in the middle. I know that Samsung don't support DTS audio, what other files tv dosen't support? Is there an option to play something on this tv not via internal media player? Is there an option to disable HDR on Netflix and watch 4K in SDR? Thanks for all answers and suggestions.

Hi, i'm thinking of buying Samsung 50 inch TU series, which one is better? I don't play games, tv will be only for Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, Plex and movies from HDD.

I've found it to be fine for all media apart from anything below 4k due to the usual upscaling problems (I have a 43" one). HD is acceptable (1080) but 576/480 is blurry although this can be offset by juggling around various picture settings. Other displays may be better, I have not compared with anything else.

The problem is that these manufacturers need to adopt Integer Scaling - Pixel-perfect integer-ratio scaling with no blur (integer scaling)

Is there an option to play something on this tv not via internal media player?

Not sure what you mean by this ? Do you mean apps that can be installed to play external movie files ? You can put a USB stick in the USB slot and play media from there.

Is there an option to disable HDR on Netflix and watch 4K in SDR? Thanks for all answers and suggestions.

At first I thought "Filmmaker mode" would turn off HDR (this is using an HDR video using the Youtube app) but even though it looks like SDR compared to the other modes it still uses the gamma "ST.2084" which is HDR. So its debatable. To my eyes "Movie" and "Fmilmaker" make it look SDR but the settings say something else.

I've found it to be fine for all media apart from anything below 4k due to the usual upscaling problems (I have a 43" one). HD is acceptable (1080) but 576/480 is blurry although this can be offset by juggling around various picture settings. Other displays may be better, I have not compared with anything else.

The problem is that these manufacturers need to adopt Integer Scaling - Pixel-perfect integer-ratio scaling with no blur (integer scaling)

Not sure what you mean by this ? Do you mean apps that can be installed to play external movie files ? You can put a USB stick in the USB slot and play media from there.

At first I thought "Filmmaker mode" would turn off HDR (this is using an HDR video using the Youtube app) but even though it looks like SDR compared to the other modes it still uses the gamma "ST.2084" which is HDR. So its debatable. To my eyes "Movie" and "Fmilmaker" make it look SDR but the settings say something else.
I'm not planning to watch on tv lower resolution then 1080p (i know that tv dosen't support DTS, it's a shame). About internal media player, i asked is there an option to install on Tizen other media player then in-build one (like on android VLC etc.).

Any owners of the 75” or 82” TU8000. Not expecting great HDR and is intended for a bright room. I have an edge lit Samsung Q60R in the house so have a rough idea of what to expect, but would like decent screen uniformity.

Does anyone know how the upcoming changes to Freeview will effect our sets? Articles suggest the changes all seem to require Freeview Play, which I think most Samsungs don't have. Bit disappointing if we miss all the improvements.

Paul
Paul,

Something I wanted to ask you about Samsung's Fit to Screen feature...

I understand this is Samsung-speak for overscan, and I always leave it on when watching films on my Panasonic UHD disc player (so there's no overscan); for cable TV viewing via our cable box, we leave Fit to Screen on Auto (though I don't really know what that does) and also use Standard picture mode (while using Movie for the Blu-ray player input).

When viewing certain old DVDs, I get some nasty scan lines around the edges of the screen due to the lack of overscan (because these discs were obviously meant to be played on older CRT-type sets with overscan enabled), and I have even rented a few modern DVDs (mainly from "bootleg" studios like Vertical Entertainment) that exhibit a weird green line that runs around the border of the image, obviously because the widescreen film wasn't transferred right (or the disc wasn't authored correctly), and the Fit to Screen is showing the outer edges of these...

What would you do in these situations? Should I just leave Fit to Screen OFF for my SDR content playback (regular Blu-rays and DVDs) being that I'm running into so many titles that are showing stuff that should be hidden by overscan?

I also see, on some Sony Superbit DVDs like Black Hawk Down, weird "wobbling" on the left and right sides of the letterboxed image, obviously being another artifact because the overscan isn't engaged.

Should I just live with these and keep Fit to Screen on, or would you recommend -- because I AM experiencing issues even with NEW DVD releases -- turning it off and dealing with the slightly zoomed-in image that overscan produces? I know that overscan will also possibly add some scaling artifacts, making DVD content look even noisier, and that is something I totally want to avoid because my Panasonic Blu-ray player (a UB9000) already sucks at DVD scaling to 4K, but what do you think?

Paul,

Something I wanted to ask you about Samsung's Fit to Screen feature...

I understand this is Samsung-speak for overscan, and I always leave it on when watching films on my Panasonic UHD disc player (so there's no overscan); for cable TV viewing via our cable box, we leave Fit to Screen on Auto (though I don't really know what that does) and also use Standard picture mode (while using Movie for the Blu-ray player input).

When viewing certain old DVDs, I get some nasty scan lines around the edges of the screen due to the lack of overscan (because these discs were obviously meant to be played on older CRT-type sets with overscan enabled), and I have even rented a few modern DVDs (mainly from "bootleg" studios like Vertical Entertainment) that exhibit a weird green line that runs around the border of the image, obviously because the widescreen film wasn't transferred right (or the disc wasn't authored correctly), and the Fit to Screen is showing the outer edges of these...

What would you do in these situations? Should I just leave Fit to Screen OFF for my SDR content playback (regular Blu-rays and DVDs) being that I'm running into so many titles that are showing stuff that should be hidden by overscan?

I also see, on some Sony Superbit DVDs like Black Hawk Down, weird "wobbling" on the left and right sides of the letterboxed image, obviously being another artifact because the overscan isn't engaged.

Should I just live with these and keep Fit to Screen on, or would you recommend -- because I AM experiencing issues even with NEW DVD releases -- turning it off and dealing with the slightly zoomed-in image that overscan produces? I know that overscan will also possibly add some scaling artifacts, making DVD content look even noisier, and that is something I totally want to avoid because my Panasonic Blu-ray player (a UB9000) already sucks at DVD scaling to 4K, but what do you think?
Screen Fit isn't for overscan, it's to give a 1:1 pixel mapping from source to display. Setting the TV to 16:9 will apply overscan.

It's a personal choice. I don't have any issues with the content I watch requiring overscan so, I can't really give an opinion. Likewise, it would depend on how badly I noticed the issues as to whether I'd want to use overscan or not.

Not much help I know.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom