Samsung TU Series Owners Thread

IntelliVolume

Screen Fit isn't for overscan, it's to give a 1:1 pixel mapping from source to display. Setting the TV to 16:9 will apply overscan.

It's a personal choice. I don't have any issues with the content I watch requiring overscan so, I can't really give an opinion. Likewise, it would depend on how badly I noticed the issues as to whether I'd want to use overscan or not.

Not much help I know.

Paul
That's not how my NU8000 works -- when I leave it on 16:9 STANDARD but leave Fit to Screen OFF, the picture is zoomed in on like there was overscan applied. When I leave it on 16:9 STANDARD but leave Fit to Screen ON, the image appears without any perceived "zooming."

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
That's not how my NU8000 works -- when I leave it on 16:9 STANDARD but leave Fit to Screen OFF, the picture is zoomed in on like there was overscan applied. When I leave it on 16:9 STANDARD but leave Fit to Screen ON, the image appears without any perceived "zooming."
From your description, that's exactly how it works.

If you use Fit to Screen (with 16:9), you get 1:1 pixel mapping, thus no zooming. If you disable Fit to Screen and just use 16:9, you'll get zooming as you've activated overscan by deactivating Fit to Screen.

You can't use Fit to Screen with any other format than 16:9, as the TV has a 16:9 (1.78:1) format screen.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul

IntelliVolume

You said Screen Fit -- or Fit to Screen -- isn't for overscan. Aren't we talking about the same thing here?

Regardless of the moniker, SOMETHING is controlling the zoom in/zoom out/pixel matching. When I use the Fit to Screen, it zooms in and out, indicating to me 1:1 pixel mapping OR using overscan.

bunyboy

Hi All,

I recently bought a 43" TU8000 and have been quite liking it until I noticed this painful auto dimming that is going on. The TV just decides to change the brightness or contrast when it fancies it - pushing it up or down to adjust for dark or bright shots. It's very apparent when one shot is darker than another and they cut back and forth as characterts talk etc.

I've got everything in settings off and have heard that I'd need to go into the service menu to fix this issue, if it's possible at all.

Can anyone advise? It's driving me nuts and if I can't resolve it, the TV will go back and I'll be looking for another that doesn't do this, or at least allows for all these types of things to be switched off...

Thanks.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
You said Screen Fit -- or Fit to Screen -- isn't for overscan. Aren't we talking about the same thing here?
Yes I did, several times. And it isn't. Overscan does not map pixels 1:1. It zooms in by around 3.5%
So Screen Fit gives a 1:1 pixel mapping. Overscan does not.
Regardless of the moniker, SOMETHING is controlling the zoom in/zoom out/pixel matching. When I use the Fit to Screen, it zooms in and out, indicating to me 1:1 pixel mapping OR using overscan.
Screen Fit doesn't zoom in and as above 1:1 pixel mapping is not the same as overscan. If you don't enable Screen Fit, you will get overscan (zooming in) if the 16:9 ratio is selected, as I understand it.

Paul

Jacksdad999

Hi All,

I recently bought a 43" TU8000 and have been quite liking it until I noticed this painful auto dimming that is going on. The TV just decides to change the brightness or contrast when it fancies it - pushing it up or down to adjust for dark or bright shots. It's very apparent when one shot is darker than another and they cut back and forth as characterts talk etc.

I've got everything in settings off and have heard that I'd need to go into the service menu to fix this issue, if it's possible at all.

Can anyone advise? It's driving me nuts and if I can't resolve it, the TV will go back and I'll be looking for another that doesn't do this, or at least allows for all these types of things to be switched off...

Thanks.
This should do it:

Dannysonic

Hi All,

Thanks.
I have a TU8500. I don't know if you have the same settings.
I think what you are describing is called Ambient mode.
On my TV I went to Settings>General>Eco Solutions>Ambient Light Detection and turned off Ambient Light Detection.

bunyboy

I have a TU8500. I don't know if you have the same settings.
I think what you are describing is called Ambient mode.
On my TV I went to Settings>General>Eco Solutions>Ambient Light Detection and turned off Ambient Light Detection.

Thanks for the reply. I wish it was that - and I thought it was at first. But that's already off and it's still happening. I think it's called auto dimming and is a service menu issue as far as I can tell.

bunyboy

This should do it:

Yes - that's the issue - there's no mention of my TV specifically though and I'm not sure if those exact settings will work. I'd love to find someone who has dealt with this issue on my model.

This is nuts though. I can't believe they have this, with no option to turn it off without going into the service menu. And it still looks like it does it if the source has a completely black screen - and I hate that too - it dips to total black in those few seconds between a movie ending and the credits starting, and looks awful. I just don't understand why Samsung would think anybody would want that.

I'll do some googling and see if I can get specific instructions for my tv. Thanks again!

Dannysonic

Thanks for the reply. I wish it was that - and I thought it was at first. But that's already off and it's still happening. I think it's called auto dimming and is a service menu issue as far as I can tell.
No worries. Hope you get it sorted.

bunyboy

FYI - I've done a lot of googling and eventually found what is needed to enter the service menu on the TU8000. I thought I would also post here in case anyone else needed it:

Turn the TV off. Then press INFO, SETTINGS, MUTE and then POWER.

IntelliVolume

Yes I did, several times. And it isn't. Overscan does not map pixels 1:1. It zooms in by around 3.5%
So Screen Fit gives a 1:1 pixel mapping. Overscan does not.

Screen Fit doesn't zoom in and as above 1:1 pixel mapping is not the same as overscan. If you don't enable Screen Fit, you will get overscan (zooming in) if the 16:9 ratio is selected, as I understand it.

Paul
We are talking about the same things; at the end of the day, my question had to do with whether I should use Fit to Screen when watching older DVDs that exhibit scan lines or not (either way, using this function will either hide or expose these lines, so my question revolved around that -- you mentioned that it would be a matter of preference, in terms of your reply to my question, so that's the end of that).

I found this, BTW:

With me so far? Okay, there’s good news: most TVs have a way to disable overscan. But there’s also bad news: it’s not always that straightforward. Nothing good can ever be easy, right?

Start by grabbing your TV’s remote and pressing the Menu button. Head to your TV’s picture settings. If you see something called “Overscan”, your life is simple: just turn it off.

If you don’t see that setting, however, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not available on your set—it probably means that the manufacturer decided to change the name to make it “easier to understand.” In that case, you’ll have to either keep digging and tweaking till you find it, or you can do the unthinkable: read the manual. Do you even still have the manual? Probably not. I bet you can find it online.

Since we’re basically friends, though, I compiled a quick list of some of the most popular manufacturers and what they call overscan on their sets:

• Vizio: Change the picture mode to “Normal” (if it isn’t already). This automatically disables overscan.
  • Samsung: Look for the “Screen Fit” option.
  • Insignia: In the advanced options menu, it’s surprisingly called “overscan.”
  • Sharp, LG, and Philips: Unfortunately, we couldn’t find a good consensus on these three brands, so you’ll probably just have to Google it for your specific model.
These won’t necessarily be exact for every individual model, but they should set you in the right direction. Once you’ve found the correct setting, you can just disable it (or tweak it, if allowed) and you’re done. Enjoy all that content you never got to see before and didn’t even realize it.

Swansea89

Hi all, problem with the UE65TU7020KXXU.

Suddenly has gone extremely dark screen, just about visible enough to see the menu/lettering. I've tried changing any and all options, eco saver, factory reset - unplugging the tv, checking all cables etc. and nothing works. Contacted Samsung TV, they said a technician will be out in 14 business days.

It is my only tv. Is there anyone with any information/tips/advice about what else I can try?

Dannysonic

Hi all, problem with the UE65TU7020KXXU.

Suddenly has gone extremely dark screen, just about visible enough to see the menu/lettering. I've tried changing any and all options, eco saver, factory reset - unplugging the tv, checking all cables etc. and nothing works. Contacted Samsung TV, they said a technician will be out in 14 business days.

It is my only tv. Is there anyone with any information/tips/advice about what else I can try?
Can you see any lights shining through the back of the TV? I'm asking this to see if you can see if the backlights are working.
When you say the menu is just about visible is this when a light is shining on the screen?
Can you see any picture on the TV? If you can't try shining a torch on the screen at different angle to see if you can see any movement? If you can it would suggest the backlights have stopped working. This could be due to a software or component fault.
There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to check.
If the TV is still under warranty do not remove the back cover as doing so may void the warranty.

Last edited:

Afroboy70

Novice Member
FYI - I've done a lot of googling and eventually found what is needed to enter the service menu on the TU8000. I thought I would also post here in case anyone else needed it:

Turn the TV off. Then press INFO, SETTINGS, MUTE and then POWER.
Hi pal. I’m having the same issue as you with exactly the same tv. I can get into the service menu just fine but then can’t access the advanced menu to get to the setting as in the guide. Can you share how you did it?

bunyboy

Hi pal. I’m having the same issue as you with exactly the same tv. I can get into the service menu just fine but then can’t access the advanced menu to get to the setting as in the guide. Can you share how you did it?
Hey. Yes - I folllowed this YouTube video. The getting into the service menu instructions didn't work, but actually accessing the right section did. There are quite a few videos that explain this but this is the one I followed.

TU5800

Novice Member
Hello, new member here.
I've just bought a TU8500 and I have a problem with the BBC iPlayer app requiring me to sign in every time I start the app. Once signed in it works fine. My other 3 Samsung smart TVs sign in automatically and the other catch-up apps on the TU8500 sign in automatically as well.
I had a remote support session with Samsung last weekend, but all he really did was do a smart hub reset. Which didn't solve the problem. He advised me to contact the BBC, which I did, and they told me that the TU8500 wasn't 'Certified' to use iPlayer and I should get Samsung to submit it for certification.
Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how did you fix it?

In addition to this problem, I'm not happy that the TU8500 doesn't support BBC Red button digital text (aka Teletext) when the specification says that it does and there is a dedicated button on the remote. I really liked to catch up on the news in a morning without needing to have the sound on :(

Afroboy70

Novice Member
Hey. Yes - I folllowed this YouTube video. The getting into the service menu instructions didn't work, but actually accessing the right section did. There are quite a few videos that explain this but this is the one I followed.

Legend. Worked!! Thanks so much. Did you just change both to 100 like in the video?

Dannysonic

Hello, new member here.
I've just bought a TU8500 and I have a problem with the BBC iPlayer app requiring me to sign in every time I start the app. Once signed in it works fine. My other 3 Samsung smart TVs sign in automatically and the other catch-up apps on the TU8500 sign in automatically as well.
I had a remote support session with Samsung last weekend, but all he really did was do a smart hub reset. Which didn't solve the problem. He advised me to contact the BBC, which I did, and they told me that the TU8500 wasn't 'Certified' to use iPlayer and I should get Samsung to submit it for certification.
Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how did you fix it?

In addition to this problem, I'm not happy that the TU8500 doesn't support BBC Red button digital text (aka Teletext) when the specification says that it does and there is a dedicated button on the remote. I really liked to catch up on the news in a morning without needing to have the sound on :(
I've got the same model and it's same with mine although it just a case of pressing the OK/Enter button to sign in, it doesn't bother me.
I have a Youview box and it's the same on that as well.
I looked in the settings but there is nowhere to enable auto sign in.

As I understand it but could be wrong Teletext is served over the analogue channels where as the red button is for digital channels.
There is a setting in the service menu to turn on and off teletext. I remember reading somewhere that if it is set to "off" then teletext is not available but I can't find where I read it.

forthaven

i am in ireland...but have vpn on router set to uk...and all options on tv (UE65TU7020KXXU) set to uk on set up....bbc iplayer, itv player etc all work....but, i have not got samsung tv plus...is there something obvious i'm overlooking ?

JamieBee

Hi

Samsung Tech Support changed my white balance settings yesterday on the hidden service menu to try and fix an HDR content being too dark problem but since they did, the picture is far too bright and over saturated. I didn't (and they didn't suggest) take a picture of the settings before changing all of them to 128. I have attached a picture of the relevant screen and settings.

I have called them and they suggested a factory reset, which hasn’t fixed it. I told them I tried this last night but she insisted we did it again. She doesn’t know what the default values should be and now I’m waiting for a callback.

Yesterday, I was told to change them all to 128. Does anyone know what these figures would have been as default ? Can any TU8500 owners check their settings and let me know to help me out ? You can access the menu by doing Info Settings Mute then Power while it's on standby and then the ADC/WB option.

Attachments

• E2B12D83-9EAD-4F5F-828A-C65FD07DAF59.jpeg
    E2B12D83-9EAD-4F5F-828A-C65FD07DAF59.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Michael Freeman

Novice Member
Hi

Samsung Tech Support changed my white balance settings yesterday on the hidden service menu to try and fix an HDR content being too dark problem but since they did, the picture is far too bright and over saturated. I didn't (and they didn't suggest) take a picture of the settings before changing all of them to 128. I have attached a picture of the relevant screen and settings.

I have called them and they suggested a factory reset, which hasn’t fixed it. I told them I tried this last night but she insisted we did it again. She doesn’t know what the default values should be and now I’m waiting for a callback.

Yesterday, I was told to change them all to 128. Does anyone know what these figures would have been as default ? Can any TU8500 owners check their settings and let me know to help me out ? You can access the menu by doing Info Settings Mute then Power while it's on standby and then the ADC/WB option.
How do you bring that menu up ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021