Question Samsung The Frame TV

mattlee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some input on this. I have a budget of about £2,000 to purchase a new TV. My current TV is a Samsung UE55HU7200 (early curved 4K set from 2014). My new TV needs to be 55", non curved. The new Samsung Frame TV has really caught my eye as it stealths itself when off instead of being a black, characterless rectangle on the wall (plus the girlfriend is on-board with it!). I know there is a premium due to the 'art mode' and the aesthetics of the device but wondered if anyone had seen the device in person and can advise on the quality of the TV? The One Connect Box also appeals. I understand it is UHD Certified but not UHD Premium Certified.

My usage is split between PS4 gaming (so HDR would be a boost) and Netflix or Amazon Prime Video via an nVidia Shield TV (again, HDR would be a boost). Am I going to see a decent improvement based on a) your experience with the set or b) reading the specs?

Thanks,

Matt

I had a look at it's specs last night and given it's motionflow rating and the fact it's not UHD premium certified I think it's just a KU/MU series tv inside. No ideas about the type of panel though. Would need to see it reviewed with at least the contrast tested to know that. With Samsung there's a good chance of VA panel type though which is good.

This will probably mean the tv has a 60hz panel and doesn't get bright enough or have local dimming for any kind of decent HDR performance. I'm not sure if this is a requirement for you or not..

I don't even know what "UHD certified"means. It's something digital tv europe have started but it's certainly nothing to do with the UHD premium certification which is centred around a tvs HDR capabilities.

I had a look at it's specs last night and given it's motionflow rating and the fact it's not UHD premium certified I think it's just a KU/MU series tv inside. No ideas about the type of panel though. Would need to see it reviewed with at least the contrast tested to know that. With Samsung there's a good chance of VA panel type though which is good.

This will probably mean the tv has a 60hz panel and doesn't get bright enough or have local dimming for any kind of decent HDR performance. I'm not sure if this is a requirement for you or not..

I don't even know what "UHD certified"means. It's something digital tv europe have started but it's certainly nothing to do with the UHD premium certification which is centred around a tvs HDR capabilities.

Thanks for this. As I already have a 4K non-HDR TV, the HDR performance in any new TV is something I'd really value. I love the design of this TV but knowing the Sony 55XE9305 is available at the same price (or even less) makes it a tough sell.

I did a little more digging and it seems Samsung advertise it as having a motion rate of 240. This is usually a multiple of the refresh rate x2 so its actually a rebadged MU8000. Its not as bad as the KU or lower MU ranges, has a wide colour gamut for HDR but it doesn't have local dimming or high peak brightness or anything like that.

So at least it has a 120hz panel vs 60hz but given you pay a £700+ premium right now I'm not sure its worth it. At £1300 right now I wouldn't say the MU8000 is worth that much either given it will be reduced in a price a lot farther in time + that it isn't far away in price to the far superior Sony XE90xx.

But behind the HDR capable TVs its as close as you will get.

You could wait for it to be reduced in price, but if you do end up buying now, check with Samsung to see if its part of their trade in deal where you trade in your old TV and get money off.

I personally would hold off buying and wait for prices to drop on TVs. You can see in my other post now isn't the best time to buy. The best time to buy a TV

Last edited:
I did a little more digging and it seems Samsung advertise it as having a motion rate of 240. This is usually a multiple of the refresh rate x2 so its actually a rebadged MU8000. Its not as bad as the KU or lower MU ranges, has a wide colour gamut for HDR but it doesn't have local dimming or high peak brightness or anything like that.

So at least it has a 120hz panel vs 60hz but given you pay a £700+ premium right now I'm not sure its worth it. At £1300 right now I wouldn't say the MU8000 is worth that much either given it will be reduced in a price a lot farther in time + that it isn't far away in price to the far superior Sony XE90xx.

But behind the HDR capable TVs its as close as you will get.

You could wait for it to be reduced in price, but if you do end up buying now, check with Samsung to see if its part of their trade in deal where you trade in your old TV and get money off.

I personally would hold off buying and wait for prices to drop on TVs. You can see in my other post now isn't the best time to buy. The best time to buy a TV

Thanks again for this! I'm a technical person but I seem to get lost in all the TV stuff. I might stretch my budget a bit as I can see an LG B7 55" for £2,250.

Don't buy now! that tv will likely be below £2000 come black friday and could get as low as £1500 spring next year.

Last year people were picking up the B6 for £1750 at black friday after discount codes and cashback.

Don't buy now! that tv will likely be below £2000 come black friday and could get as low as £1500 spring next year.

Last year people were picking up the B6 for £1750 at black friday after discount codes and cashback.

Wow! Thanks for the headsup!

Does the Samsung Frame come with a frame in the box ?
I see a black one fitted to the tv and 3 extra ones (white and wood) on the Samsung website.
Just wondered if the black one was included in the box when you buy the TV ?

Hi, thanks for the info. I've checked with Samsung and an online shop and it seems to come in a permanently fixed black frame and for £199 extra you can buy colours, walnut, white or light wood to add onto it.

I'm looking to buy a longer (3 or 4 metre) TV power cable as I think it comes in a 2 metre length. Do you know if any TV power cable would do ?

It depends if the cable is a removable one or not, many TVs don't have a removable cable. Something maybe you can see in the TVs manual or by asking their support.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom