Samsung The Frame 2021 dark scenes problem, artifacts. Please, help.

Math Rider

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am asking you to help, because I am aware that you are the only community that can help. Since I bought a Samsung the frame TV (model from 2021), I have endless problems with playing dark scenes, generally with image display quality for dark, black shots not only on HDR materials, but also regular HD, as well as connected and played materials via HDMI source. I will say right away that bright images always look good. In the case of black it looks exactly like in the attached photos.

In order for the problem not to be so severe and to reduce the scale of this phenomenon, also to reduce the number of artifacts, I had to make a few changes in the settings (although I tried almost all the possibilities):

1. Gamma BT.2084 for HDR and Gamma BT.1886 for HDMI have been lowered to a maximum of negative values, and the "shadow detail" option has also been lowered to a maximum of negative values.

2. The color level has only been lowered to level 14. (Lowering the color and gamma only helped slightly reduce the amount of artifacts present.)

3. The same applies to the "Contrast enhancer" option, which had to be turned off, due to the fact that with the "low" and "high" settings, there are definitely more artifacts, and the glow appearing on the blacks resembles "floating liquid or moving square blocks ". Sometimes it looks like normal compression. But it's different from compression because it also appears where there is actually nothing to display, and there are also occasional flashes / flickering of the screen when there are bright elements on a black background.

Of course, the problem was reported to Samsung and this issue was addressed, the TV was reset many times, Internet connections were checked, connections with one box connect, and finally the components were also replaced. So now, almost new tv and display issues are still the same. So the problem still exists, no matter what source is used.
Finally after everything Samsung said that it's compression. And it's not true, I tested it on different models, even from same year generation and despite a the normal compression issues as well in older models - this phenomenon simply does not exist. Even when black is gray, it does not have these strange, slightly purple artifacts, this strange contour shading, because it honestly looks as if the contours were drawn in a not natural way.

Please help. Perhaps there is some way, even drastic, of fixing this problem so that the amount of artifacts on the black does not massacre the eyes and the pleasure of viewing. Maybe there is a possibility to change something in service menu ? Please help.

My screen photos:
IMG_20211218_232055__01.jpg
IMG_20211218_231845__01.jpg

And how the same scenes look on a different,slightly older qled model:. (It's perfect, like it should be )

IMG_20211219_003908__01.jpg

IMG_20211219_004025__01.jpg
IMG_20211219_004328__01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_231824__01.jpg
    IMG_20211218_231824__01.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20211218_231845__01.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 448
What film/ series are the scenes from? (One possibly Witcher?)

Is that from the built in Samsung apps or can you try via a firestick or Google TV if they're from Netflix or Amazon Prime in 4k? Just for comparison

Both titles are from netflix from the built in app unfortunately. So I'm afraid that I don't have possibility to check and compare using a firestick or google tv. I had possibility to check on different tv manufactured on samsung and everything looks fine. On my one it looks horrible and it happens everywhere, on every single source. They changed the screen and nothing changed. They changed motherboard and nothing changed. I swapped one connect box and the cable and nothing changed. There is one more board inside tv. Do you think that this part can cause a problem ? Or maybe they made mistake and they didn't change motherboard really ? 😞😞 I don't know what to do.

Just wondered if it might be a problem with their TV app on the Frame and specific Netflix programs, something in a codec going wrong like hdr 10+ being misread

Borrowing a 4k firestick or Google TV off a friend to check with the same title would be useful

Don't know which country or area you're in, might be someone on here

bad panel after all that? trying with a different device like a firestick - should show the same issues if so.

be nice to prove its faulty - or try the same on a shop display model.

Hello. I am asking you to help, because I am aware that you are the only community that can help. Since I bought a Samsung the frame TV (model from 2021), I have endless problems with playing dark scenes, generally with image display quality for dark, black shots not only on HDR materials, but also regular HD, as well as connected and played materials via HDMI source. I will say right away that bright images always look good. In the case of black it looks exactly like in the attached photos.

In order for the problem not to be so severe and to reduce the scale of this phenomenon, also to reduce the number of artifacts, I had to make a few changes in the settings (although I tried almost all the possibilities):

1. Gamma BT.2084 for HDR and Gamma BT.1886 for HDMI have been lowered to a maximum of negative values, and the "shadow detail" option has also been lowered to a maximum of negative values.

2. The color level has only been lowered to level 14. (Lowering the color and gamma only helped slightly reduce the amount of artifacts present.)

3. The same applies to the "Contrast enhancer" option, which had to be turned off, due to the fact that with the "low" and "high" settings, there are definitely more artifacts, and the glow appearing on the blacks resembles "floating liquid or moving square blocks ". Sometimes it looks like normal compression. But it's different from compression because it also appears where there is actually nothing to display, and there are also occasional flashes / flickering of the screen when there are bright elements on a black background.

Of course, the problem was reported to Samsung and this issue was addressed, the TV was reset many times, Internet connections were checked, connections with one box connect, and finally the components were also replaced. So now, almost new tv and display issues are still the same. So the problem still exists, no matter what source is used.
Finally after everything Samsung said that it's compression. And it's not true, I tested it on different models, even from same year generation and despite a the normal compression issues as well in older models - this phenomenon simply does not exist. Even when black is gray, it does not have these strange, slightly purple artifacts, this strange contour shading, because it honestly looks as if the contours were drawn in a not natural way.

Please help. Perhaps there is some way, even drastic, of fixing this problem so that the amount of artifacts on the black does not massacre the eyes and the pleasure of viewing. Maybe there is a possibility to change something in service menu ? Please help.

I had the exact same problem and even had artifacts in the black bars at the bottom of the screen. This was in the Samsung Netflix app. I switched to the Xbox Netflix app and the artifacts went away completely. So, it appears to be an issue in the app and not the TV, for me at least. I hope the same is true for you!

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem on a frame 2021 model. It dose not matter if I run from the internal apps or from a Apple TV 4K, the artifacts both in the picture and black bars are there from both in the exact same way and from all streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ and so on.

Attachments

• 2A130D7D-7FEC-4BEA-8969-4A8947E1CA4A.jpeg
    2A130D7D-7FEC-4BEA-8969-4A8947E1CA4A.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 709
You see, this is it, exact same problem. Samsung tried to tell me that it's just the compression and they don't know anything about it, because almost no one had that issue till now. But it's funny that they didn't know.. of course they know it, because after screen and mainboard replacement, problem was still visible in a same way.. so I said to them that they will repeat that bull*hit about compression in front of court, so finally they wanted to send service to me again. But I'm not patient person, I had enough of waiting for fix to my problem and just didn't wait and I sold it to a person who wanted this just to mount this on the wall for art. I changed the brand and everything is perfect now. Just perfect. Same samples, same sources, same internet connection.. and it's fine. How it possible ? So.. Basically problem was visible on every single streaming service. Even standard tv canals had that problem too, so it means that this situation happens on every single source and this is just badly created gpu. What you can do is just force them to change the screen and mother board.. and if it will be still visible .. make them change it again. Maybe after few attempts will be ok for u. But you need to be patient, that battle will take some time. I attached few names of samples from youtube. Have a look how it looks for you. Those samples were disgusting on my frame ..blocky crap. Have a look. First on youtube is "8K HDR Creation 6 II", and also "creation 7 I" and "Bose demonstration dolby atmos".

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_223803__01.jpg
    IMG_20211229_223803__01.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 510
that sounds like bad news, sounds like it’s maybe not a quick repair of the screen or some picture adjustments. More like it’s a software issue with what the unit dose with the video signal. Did you try a lot to calibrate/adjust the black levels and things like that. What did Samsung tell you from the beginning? They thought it was a hardware failure first before the other excuses?

I have the same issue (Samsung frame, 65 inch 2021)
Updated to latest software and still persists! Anyone find a solution/root cause yet?

I have the same issue too. Samsung 65 2021 frame. Seems to be related to the Netflix app as playing same content through the plex app dosnt have same issues.

My screen photos:
View attachment 1621955View attachment 1621962View attachment 1621963

And how the same scenes look on a different,slightly older qled model:. (It's perfect, like it should be )

View attachment 1621958
View attachment 1621959View attachment 1621960
If have the same problems with my 32" 2021 model. In apps, Netflix, Disney, Amazon it all looks awful like this. Even when using a Fire stick 4K, same issue's. The only way to get correct images for me is when I use my PS4 to stream videos. So still using Netflix, Amazon whatever but than using the PS4 apps to stream. The difference is HUGE!! Still haven't found a fix to this... It is weird to me that the fire stick has the same issue's as it is also using 1 of the HDMI ports as the PS4 does.

Anyone had any luck finding out what is going on?

I own the Samsung 43AU7100 and unfortunately I have the exact same problem with dark scenes. Funny thing, I also own the 65NU8000 (2018) model and no problems there.. that's why I bought the cheaper 43 model for my bedroom without knowing it has problems, I thought the Samsung brand name will suffice, how wrong was I... :(

Hello!
I have the exact same problem, but I found a kind of workaround.
Actually, you have to first activate the Game Mode. Then, just go to the app that you wanted (Netflix, Amazon, Disney, whatever) so the game mode will be turn off again. However, the quality of the image will remain perfect!! (until you shut down the TV)
It still doesn't explain where the problem comes from, but at least we can enjoy the TV. Also, maybe someone more expert then me will figure out what's the problem with that new clue.

Hi all. I have the 65 Q70A model. Have the same issue in dark hdr scenes in native tv apps and in external device app. Also sometimes artifacts in black bars. I dont understand why samsung doesn't address this issue.

I had this problem with my Samsung The Frame 50" 2022 Model.
A separate complaint I have about this model is that it doesn't have Google Assistant, but I'm not surprised because I think Samsung wants to do away with anything Google these days.
Anyway...
I connect a PC to the TV. When watching something like YouTube, dark scenes show banded grey artifacts. This does not have an issue if I watch the same video on the YouTube app on the TV itself. This is true for other streaming services, etc. I was able to adjust settings on the TV and PC in order for this issue to go away.
First of all, to explain why this is happening. When it comes to dark scenes, some of the parts of the dark are not actually pure black, the TV has features and settings that increase the contrast, enhance the dark areas, etc. This causes these issues. But why does it not affect other devices and built-in apps? This is likely due to how the device processes the colours. The output of the device to the TV will then get reprocessed.

Here is my fix:
I have my PC connected to the HDMI 1 port. I thought that maybe when I had the computer plugged into HDMI 4 would benefit from Game Mode, but I didn't find any advantage. This fix won't work if your device is plugged into the Game HDMI port.
In the TV menu, go to Picture. Expert Settings, Contrast Enhancer change to "Off". ST.2084 doesn't appear to have any effect, but you can set it to 0 or a negative value. Shadow Detail needs to be set to -5 (the lowest value)

The output will appear fairly dark when viewing black content, but the workaround is to turn up the gamma in the PC output.

My PC uses NVIDIA. Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel. Go to Adjust Desktop Colour Settings and up the Gamma to about 1.3 with every other video setting using the default values.
I have HDR enabled in Windows. I use Windows 10.

This did not negatively impact HDR content and regular content such as YouTube. Animated content was most affected by this issue now appears clean. Watching videos using VLC or MPC-HC appeared fine as well.

It appears that the original poster tried using similar settings and it didn't seem to help with this issue, so your mileage may vary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom