1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung TFT monitor/TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bobbeh, Jan 2, 2005.

1. bobbeh

bobbeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in buy the Samsung SyncMaster SM730 widescreen version, but still a bit confused about the difference between the two following
    models, they look very similar. The obvious difference is in the description the 730 is TFT whilst 173 is LCD. I'm guessing this means 173 is more suited for tv use than the 730, although im not sure. I will be using it as a monitor 1st, tv second.

------------------
    SM730MP 17" TFT Silver DVI Monitor with TV Tuner

Samsung Part Number: MH17FSSSU

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10278357&pid=206

-----------------------------
    SM173MP 17" LCD Silver Monitor with TV Tuner

Samsung Part Number: KD17ASSS

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10275407&pid=206

------------

Also, im planning on buying the widesreen version 730MW, which i think would be great for watching movies on my pc.

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10279114&pid=206

However i will also be using it for games and im not sure how they will look in widescreen format? How will games and applications look on a widescreen aspect monitor? and should i stick with the 4:3 version?

bobby

2. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I had the SM710MP and took it back to PC World as it was OK as a PC monitor but crap on any video inputs. They swapped it for another but that one was worse! (A DVD on RGB looked worse than a composite input!)

So I took the second one back for a refund.

Looking at the spec. for the 4:3 model it seems similar to the SM710MP so I would give it a miss.

The problem is that these are basically PC monitors with a cheap video circuits added and it shows. If your main use is PC then have a look at the Acer AL1931M 19" monitor which has VGA, DVI, S-VHS and composite inputs. Along with a 700:1 contrast ratio and a price of £360 or less it seems a good buy.

3. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TFT is simply a type of LCD panel, practically all LCD monitors and TVs are TFT. Looking at the specs, the SM173MP lacks the FM tuner and SCART input. Going by Samsung's model designations, the 173 would be more like a monitor with a TV tuner while the 2 730s would have been designed as a TV first, then a monitor. This looks evident in the lower brightness and contrast ratios of the 173.

As for widescreen, some monitors display 4:3 formats (1024x768, 800x600, 640x480) pillarboxed with black bars on either side and provide the option to stretch to fill the screen. I guess you'll have to try it to see if the 730MW behaves in the same way.

4. bobbeh

bobbeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i need to look into the 4:3 format in widescreen becuse i really want widescreen version for watching movies. the 710 model sold in pcworld is different to the 730, however i have read that 730 as a tv is also not so good. since i will be watching dvds directly from my pc it will suffice.

thanks for the help.

5. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had a look into the 4:3 on widescreen issue. I downloaded the 730MW manual (from samsung.com, not .co.uk, do a search on the model) and it indicates that in PC mode (VGA or DVI) it has 2 sizes- 4:3 and Wide. This should mean that it can display 4:3 modes pillarboxed. With TV and A/V inputs, it can do a variety of zoom, panarama and auto wide modes as well.

I found a review of the 730MW (Google '730MW review') on Computer Buyer and it states the colour rendition (in PC mode) is better on the 730MW than the 730MP.

I've been looking for a decent 17" WS LCD TV as well and this seems to fit the bill- it has SCART RGB, component and DVI, and the usual composite and S-video. Only one I've seen so far with the same range of inputs is the Dell W1900, but that's 19" (and hence more expensive). The Australian Samsung site indicates that it is HD-ready, which hopefully means HD over component and DVI. No mention of which modes can be sent over the component connections though. The manual also indicates that the DVI port is HDCP-compliant so that should mean Sky HD ready as well.

Only catch seems to be the medicore 120H/120V viewing angle, or maybe Samsung's just more honest in measuring viewing angles (the Computer Buyer review indicated viewing angles were sufficiently wide for 'a group of people viewing').

6. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bring back an aging topic, but did anyone buy the 730MW? Would be interested to see your thoughts, especially in non-PC video modes (component, etc).

7. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't, I'm somewhat concerned about the 25ms response time and the TN+Film panel (which means narrow viewing angles and a darkening of the image when viewed from below). PC World do sell the 730MW so you can have a look at it there, though it'll be connected to a bad RF feed. I'm still waiting for a decent small screen i.e. one that has a proper 8-bit IPS panel and all the necessary inputs (SCART, VGA, DVI-HDCP, not too concerned about component).