Samsung technical support are idiots!

D

deleted member

I need to update the Freeview firmware on my Samsung TV. It was broadcast years ago and there is no download on their web site. Note that this is the Freeview firmware, not the main TV firmware which is available for download.

Understanding this simple problem is apparently beyond the ability of Samsung technical support! Here is the conversation so far:

MoJo said:
Hi. I have a LE40A686M1F TV. It takes a long time to switch channels. I noticed that there was a Freeview update that fixed this problem but I didn''''t get it. How can I get it now? I can''''t find it available as a download on your web site. I downloaded the firmware update but it didn''''t update the Freeview software.

Samsung said:
I am very sorry to hear you are having difficulty changing the channels; does this issue remain only when trying to change channelsvia the television remote or when trying to change them via the buttons on the unit?

If the problem only exists when using the remote control to change channels, try resetting the remote control by removing the batteries, holding down the standby button on theremote for about 20 seconds to fully drain the processors and then replace the batteries with fresh ones.

Additionally, ensure your television's firmware is up to date - the latest release for your model is T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0, released 20th May 2009. Full instructions on updating firmware are as follows:

Support for LE40A686M1F
(Click Support > Downloads > Firmware)

- Click to download
- Save to desktop
- Once saved to desktop, double click on it
- Select run when box pops up
- A file will be extracted once run
- Place this extracted file onto the USB pen (USB pen has to be EMPTY and the file name must not be altered in any way or the system will not be able to read it!)
- Put USB pen into the USB slot on unit
- Programme will run automatically
- Follow onscreen instructions

NOTE: DO NOT REMOVE THE USB PEN OR TURN THE UNIT OFF ONCE UPGRADE IS IN PROGRESS, AS THIS WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE UNIT AND IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY!

If this has not resolved the issue, try a full reset and retune of the unit as follows:

- Remove the aerial from the rear of the unit
- Press and hold the EXITbutton on the TV's remote control until an onscreen pop up appears
- Select 'YES' when asked to reset to defaults
- This will turn the TV off, so turn it back on
- Go through the onscreen Plug & Play menus
- Leaving the aerial out, retune the television (antenna source: Air, channel source: Digital)
- This will erase all channel data and clear the TV's memory caches.

- Once this has completed, plug the aerial back in
- Press the MENU button the remote then go into Channel > Manual Store
- Retune all channels back in; it may take up to five minutes as there is now no data to overwrite and all channels now have to be tuned in from scratch.

If you have any further problems, please do not hesitate to get back in contact with Samsung, providing full address details and a serial number for the unit, and a model code/serial number for the Freeview box your television is connected to, if applicable.

Kind regards,
Helen

MoJo said:
Hi. Sorry about the long delay in replying to your email. The delay changing channel exists when using the controls on the TV as well as the remote control, so I think we can rule out problems with the remote. I am on the lastest firmware version (T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0). The Freeview firmware version is T-PERLDEUC-1014. My friend has T-PERLDEUC-1016 and it does not take as long for him to change channels, but there does not seem to be any way to download this update.

As I understand it the Freeview firmware update was done over the air years ago, but I happened to have the TV off when it was broadcast so didn''t get it. How can I install this update?

If the firmware cannot be updated what is your policy on trade-ins due to faults? Under UK law the TV has had about 30 of its expected lifetime so if I returned it to the shop I would get a 70 refund, but I don''t really want to do that because otherwise I am quite happy with it. There must be some way to apply this firmware update, even if you have to send an engineer to do it.

Samsung said:
Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

I was sorry to hear about the problem you were experiencing with your TV. We would recommend you perform the following ‘Troubleshooting’ exercises in order to help us establish the exact nature of the problem.

Resetting the TV –

1. Press and hold down the EXIT button on the TV's remote control, which should bring up a menu asking if you wish to ‘Reset the TV to Factory Defaults’ and you can either ‘OK’ or ‘Cancel’ – highlight ‘OK’ press the ‘Enter’ button and the TV should switch off.
2. Once you turn on the TV you should have PLUG & PLAY displayed on the screen.
3. Then you should choose the language, the country and the usage mode should be 'HOME USE'.
4. (If you do not watch freeview, you can skip this step by pressing EXIT) Then you should set the search on AIR and DIGITAL & ANALOGUE then select the search tab. (This will scan for all Digital and Analogue channels).
5. After the percentage reaches 100% Press OK and enjoy your TV.

If after these procedures the problem is still visible we recommend you check again that your TV has the latest version of Firmware installed on it. You can do this by following these steps –

Upgrade to latest firmware;

Go to SAMSUNG and enter your TV model code to get the latest downloads then follow these steps;
1. Save the file on an Empty USB drive.
2. Un-Zip the folder on the USB drive by double clicking the file.
3. Insert USB memory to 'USB' terminal
4. If the TV has 'Media link' function a pop-up OSD window is shown when you insert the USB device.
5. If the TV doesn't have 'Media link' function: Use OSD menu (Menu Button—Support—Software Upgrade).
6. Select (By USB).
7. Select (OK)
8. After Download, power will turn off in 3 seconds and turn on again automatically.

If your still having difficulties in obtaining the Firmware you can contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to post you out a copy in USB format, though please note this can take 7 – 10 days from the date of posting. This should hopefully resolve the issue, however if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

Chris
Online Support Team

MoJo said:
Hi. Your reply did not address my problem. I have tried everything you suggested. The firmware update on your web site does not contain the Freeview firmware update. Sending me a USB key won''''t help unless it has this update, in which case why is it not on your web site?

Can you send an engineer to do the update?

Samsung said:
Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having difficulty with changing the channels in Freeview.

You did mention previously that you have the latest firmware available. The latest firmware does include any previous firmware updates.
It is not possible to downgrade the firmware on your television.

How long does it take for the channel to change?
The issue may be related to your remote control or aerial possibly? Have you tried changing the batteries, or discharging the remote? To discharge the remote, remove the batteries and press the power button for 20 seconds. Also check the signal strength for your aerial reception.

If you belileve that the issue is solely related to the TV and that it requires a service for the television, then you would need to provide us with the full model code, serial number and proof of purchase for the television so we can ascertain if you are covered by the 12 month warranty. Otherwise the cost of the service is at the customers expense.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

Vincent
Online Support Team

MoJo said:
You don''''t seem to understand what I am saying. The TV has TWO sets of firmware. One is the main TV firmware which is available to download on your web site. I already have the latest version of that and am happy with it.

The second firmware is the Freeview firmware, which is out of date. I need to update it. One of the fixes in the new version makes the channels change at an acceptable speed. The problem has nothing to do with batteries, returning or anything like that (I have tried it all), it is due to the firmware having bugs.

Please send an engineer to update the Freeview firmware, or supply me with software to do it myself, or direct me to a service centre who can do it.

Just to be 100 clear: I am not asking about the TV firmware which is available on your web site. This is the Freeview firmware, completely separate and not available for download anywhere. It was broadcast over the air around 2009/2010 but I did not get it. I need to it fix the slow channel changing problem. Do not tell me to change the batteries or anything like that, just tell me how you are going to update the Freeview firmware.

By the way, I am going to post this entire conversation on my blog. Please try to resolve the problem instead of just repeating the same useless and irrelevant advice.

Samsung said:

I am sorry that you feel I have misunderstood your email.

From what I understand of your email is you feel there are two sets of firmware and that you should be able to get the old version of firmware.

I wouold like to please reiterate that the latest version of firmware is an update for any previous version.
That is to say it includes previous updates, as well as more changes to the firmware to further improve the operation of your television.

If you say that you have the latest version of firmware from the website then there is no other firmware version available for that television. The latest firmware for your television should be T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0.
You cannot reverse a firmware upgrade. However what you appear to be asking is to roll back the firmware updates on your television to a previous firmware version from the past. Unfortunately this cannot be done.

If you wish to contact your nearest service centre, I would direct you to the Samsung website, SAMSUNG, where you can find links to your nearest service centre.

I hope my explanation is of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Vincent
Online Support Team

MoJo said:
No no no, I am not saying I want to get an old version of the firmware. I want the latest one. The version I already have is old, I want to update it to the new one.

The problem is that there are two sets of firmware, and the T-AMBPEUMD-1023.0 firmware on your web site is not the one I want. I want the Freeview firmware, which is called T-PERLDEUC-1016. It is this firmware that has the fix for slow channel changing.

Really, this is not hard to understand. I want the latest version of the Freeview firmware, version T-PERLDEUC-1016.

Complete muppets :mad:

I don't think I will ever get this resolved and will end up having to return the TV for a partial refund. I was going to get a new one anyway, maybe a Toshiba or Panasonic, but never again a Samsung.

"Return the TV for a partial refund" ? Is it second hand ? Is it an updated Freeview EPG you're wanting or some kind of update for the telly's tuner ?

They're saying that whatever "firmware" you have now includes whatever "firmware" it is that you're asking for - what makes you so convinced that they are wrong in saying that?:confused:

There is one software in a TV.
I have worked on this so speak from experience.

iirc all Freeview updates are over the air and are only downloadable when being broadcast, the broadcast schedule can be seen here DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

Curly

They're saying that whatever "firmware" you have now includes whatever "firmware" it is that you're asking for - what makes you so convinced that they are wrong in saying that?:confused:

It does not include the Freeview firmware. I have T-PERLDEUC-14, the latest is T-PERLDEUC-1016, the download does not include it. This is not hard to understand.

The last over the air update was years ago and it hasn't been broadcast since.

iirc all Freeview updates are over the air and are only downloadable when being broadcast, the broadcast schedule can be seen here DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

Curly

No, some manufacturers pay Arqiva who operate the network for time slots to broadcast software updates over the air.
These are the same images that may be downloaded then installed from a USB stick or, if it's a fancy connected device, directly over the internet.
Freeview is the marketing/publicity etc. end of things, DTG (Digital Television Group) is the standards body and Arqiva operate the broadcast network.
The problem is when people start using 'Freeview' where it is not appropriate and there is confusion.

Last edited:
LMFAO!!!!!!! what stupid bastards, give them a call mate probably be easier!

Yeah call this number:

0330 726 7864

Select the options for TV's i think its option 1 then 2, I have always got through to English speaking UK staff. Explain the problem to them, and again yes would be easier talking to them.

Everyone likes sending an email but a company as big as samsung its a message a day and if they've got it wrong its 2 days you have to wait for them to finally answer it bearing in mind they are reading from script call them and ask for a manager :)

Yeah call this number:

0330 726 7864

Might give this a try then as I can call it for free... But I don't think it will help because those guys have a script and nothing else. At least by email they can pass the message up the chain to someone who might know.

If I call I'll try to record the conversation.

Where do you find those details?

From memory because I'm not in front of the TV: Menu, digital channels, setup/installation, information or something like that. It is in the DTV setup menu, the low resolution SD one that doesn't fit with the normal HD menu from the main TV.

The saga of stupidity continues...

Samsung said:

I am sorry that your issue is remiaining unresolved. Unfortunately as far as we are aware there is no freeview firmware that has ever been released for a TV. The firmware we release includes updates for firmware, apps etc. If you are certain that a freeview firmware was released I suggest that you contact freeview to enquire whether they released same, as Samsung have never produced this.

Kind regards

Sarah
Online Support Team

MoJo said:
You do produce the Freeview firmware, and you had it broadcast as an over-the-air update back in 2009. That is how most Freeview firmware updates happen and in fact you continue to send them. You can read the schedule here: DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

At the moment you don''''t have any being broadcast, but periodically Samsung does use the service.

My TV was turned off when this broadcast happened so did not get the update. Are you now saying that there is no way to get it? Not even an engineer can install it? In which case presumably your advice is to return the TV as faulty under the Sale of Goods Act since the channel changing has an unfixable problem that you have admitted to (by issuing a fix for it) but are unable to supply.

I am going to say this once more then I am removing my subscription from this thread.
I do not work for Samsung but for a semiconductor manufacturer and am involved in the software used in DTVs and STBs. There is NOT a separate Freeview software just various vesion of the complete software.
It is referred to as a 'stack' in part because one part is dependant on the others around it and partly for security, particularly in STBs.
If there is a particular version of the software you think exists then ask about that particular version.
The software is the same, whether delivered over the air or downloaded from the internet and transferred by a USB stick.
Freeview is the UK name for it, there are others such as NORDIG, DTGvi, CSA, TNT etc.. These are all differing countries that are covered by the TV you have which, by your implicaton, would require deployment of a wide range of different packages.
We don't do that.

I am going to say this once more then I am removing my subscription from this thread.

Shame, now you look as bad as Samsung but can't even respond...

There is NOT a separate Freeview software just various vesion of the complete software.

So what is the firmware referred to by the Freeview system as "T-PERLDEUC-1014" and why is it not as recent as other people have? What is it that they send over the air for download to millions of TVs and STBs in the UK?

I happen to be an embedded software engineer, BTW, so I write firmware for a living. I know of what I speak.

If there is a particular version of the software you think exists then ask about that particular version.

*sigh* You didn't read the thread, did you? Try to keep up.

The software is the same, whether delivered over the air or downloaded from the internet and transferred by a USB stick.

Not in Samsung's case. They don't provide that bit of software as a download, only OTA apparently. The OTA updates only affect the Freeview part of the TV as well, they don't update the main part. There are posts on this very forum where people have listed their Freeview firmware as being newer than mine and yet having TV firmware older than mine, and subsequently upgrading it via USB stick.

Does this all still boil down to "It takes a long time to switch channels"?
If so, if that is a serious enough problem to make the TV unfit for purpose, and if the TV is still covered by UK customer protection legislation, then the supplier has to fix it.

There appears to be confusion between Customer and Samsung Support with the word "firmware"
What you are requiring is the Over The Air Software Update 1016 for the DVB-T, which is normally not available for self install.
Rather than send emails that are not being read in the same way as you. Pick up the phone and talk to Samsung Support, that way there can not be any confusion.

Maybe try calling the people that do the Freeview and asking them to give you the firmware on a usb stick or something.

Failing that see how far the television can fly lol

Thanks Flippence, I will use that wording in my next email.

Samsung said:
Thank you for contacting Samsung,

An engineer has been consulted regarding your case. He states that if you have the latest firmware version, then this would have all cumulative updates, including those provided via the FOTA system.

Can you confirm that you are currently running the latest firmware revision? ( version 1023.0 ) ?

This is downloadable on the following page, along with a firmware upgrade guide:
Support for LE40A686M1F

Please attempt the update process if you are uncertain.

Kind regards

Conall
Online Support Team

I am going to return the TV to Richer Sounds as faulty. Samsung say that the firmware update should include all the available updates, but since my DVB-T firmware has not been updated it must be broken.

I sent them this:

MoJo said:
Hi. Yes, I do have the firmware on your website, it does not include the &ampampquotT-PERLDEUC-1014&ampampquot update. The main firmware is at version 1023.0, but the Freeview part, called the DVB-T firmware, is at 1014.

If you are saying that the download includes the DVB-T firmware then I guess the TV is broken because it won''''t update. I will be returning it to the shop. Unless you have any other suggestions for how to update it then thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom