Samsung Syncmaster 932MW - picture quality and viewing angle

JamieBee

I have just bought a 19" one of these off ebay and a bit disappointed with pq and viewing angle possibly as it doubles as a PC monitor and is not purely a TV.

The screen gets darker and lighter as I move around the room or my eye level goes above and below the TV. I have it connected to a sky+ box via scart and the pq is ok but not brilliant (mind you I have an hd box via hdmi downstairs).

Am I expecting too much from this TV ? I was just wondering whether anyone else has this TV and has any opinions ?

Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
Thats because it is a computer monitor using a basic TN film panel which is the effect your seeing on the screen as your eye level changes. Image quality and viewing angles are generally poor on TN panels but their cheap and have a low response time which is they are so prevalent among PC's.

More expensive TV's (not a computer display) use panels like IPS/PVA/MVA that dont have that problem.

JamieBee

Thats because it is a computer monitor using a basic TN film panel which is the effect your seeing on the screen as your eye level changes. Image quality and viewing angles are generally poor on TN panels but their cheap and have a low response time which is they are so prevalent among PC's.

More expensive TV's (not a computer display) use panels like IPS/PVA/MVA that dont have that problem.

Thanks for the info. Is there something I should be avoiding when I read the spec for LCDs then ? For instance, the Samsung was an LCD/TFT. Do I need to avoid any other TFT products ?

I am interested in this model here but want to make sure I am not stuck with the same problem.

*EX-DISPLAY* DGM LTV-1961WCR HD Ready 19" TV/DVD.. | Ebuyer.com

next010

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately the panel type is rarely ever mentioned though as a general rule of thumb anything in the low end is going to be a TN panel.

The other panel technologies are much more expensive to implement than TN films, that TV you linked to is another TN film computer display re-purposed as a TV. The 1440x900 is not a TV resolution, it is a notebook/widescreen display.

Generally you have to go into the low end 26-32 range of TV's to find IPS/PVA type panels in TV's from well known brands like LG, Samung or Sony.

JamieBee

Unfortunately the panel type is rarely ever mentioned though as a general rule of thumb anything in the low end is going to be a TN panel.

The other panel technologies are much more expensive to implement than TN films, that TV you linked to is another TN film computer display re-purposed as a TV. The 1440x900 is not a TV resolution, it is a notebook/widescreen display.

Generally you have to go into the low end 26-32 range of TV's to find IPS/PVA type panels in TV's from well known brands like LG, Samung or Sony.

This TV here

Sharp AQUOS LC19SH7EBK | 19 inch LCD TV HD Ready Freeview | Richer Sounds

and subsequent post here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1154013-ips-lcd-tvs.html#post11108006

shows that it may not be a TN panel but an ASV panel which sound a better bet for viewing angle. A good price too if my local one has one in stock.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thats sounds like marketing, I'd wager thats a TN film as it has a 5m/s response time, such low numbers are usually TN the other panel types are higher even when fiddling with the numbers using G2G.

Now it could be genuine and actually their own tech, Sharp have their own PR site for it but I've never heard of it. Elsewhere on the net its described as a special anti-reflective coating.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom