• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered SAMSUNG SUHD UE55JS8000

Spenty 2

Standard Member
Just spotted this on the Curry's website, seems to be a new model and it's a flat screen. Had a search and not seen it mentioned on these forums. Can't find any reviews either. Anyone seen one in person?

SteveH

Standard Member
Just saw it today in Curry's. It looks pretty good, especially in a side by side with one of the standard UHD Samsung's. Difficult to get a proper feel in shop mode but it seemed comparable to the other SUHD's

Not a great deal they could tell me in Curry's but they thought the spec was identical to the 8500. I want the 8500 but the curve is just too much for wall mounting when I saw it in the (electronic) flesh so this seems a good alternative. Can't find much about it so I'd love to know if it does match up.

EDIT: Popping into Richer Sounds soon to listen to some speakers, they have it on their website so I'll ask them about the spec and update if there's anything to tell.

Last edited:

SteveH

Standard Member
Richer Sounds didn't know the technical side of things but side by side said the only difference is the PQI is 100 less. Being that this is a manufacturer thing it could be 100 less because they see the curve as adding 100, who knows.

It does look nice and I think I will get it, just be good to see something more in depth.

deeyup

Established Member
Cheaper at currys too with 10%off all to over £999
Brings it down to £1529.

Maybe richer sounds will price beat that by £20 to make £1509?

SteveH

Standard Member
Thanks @desinho

Input lag 38ms in game mode.
Uniformity isn't great (could be a bad review sample?).
Mentions rather large dimming zones but doesn't say how many.
Contrast ratio measured at 2937: 1.
Calibration out of the box so good they didn't see much need for calibration.

Their conclusion, scoring 8 out of 10 - wonder if the rating would raise now as test price was €2,400? (Google Translate so not perfect):

The JS8000 is a high-end model and that is well reflected in the design of the housing. Thanks to the metallic finish exudes luxury from the TV. The straight base fits well with the flat screen, but the use of plastic is not as nicely finished as the housing. Thanks to One Connect Mini you do not have to be behind the TV if you need to connect a cable. That of course is only an advantage if you frequently need to connect anything but a side benefit of this break-outbox is that no connections straight mounted back on the TV, which is handy if you want to wall-mount the unit.

The operation is nice and smooth, thanks to the Tizen OS. You get two remotes at which both work well.Smart Control is handier when operating apps and can also be used as a universal remote control but for regular TV viewing, we prefer the infrared remote control because it has more buttons. Actually it would have been more convenient if Samsung, like LG, the two separate remotes into one device had united.

In terms of image quality, the JS8000 is doing well, as you would expect from a high end model. The contrast is a LCDTV fine and the color reproduction is very good without you there first before having to calibrate. All you have to do after you get the TV out of the box, choose the preset film, after which you can enjoy beautiful uhd images. Minus to the picture quality regards the uniformity of the image. The brightness is quite uniform, but when displaying images of uniform, there is shown what difference in color temperature. Luckily the vast majority of images barely.

The sound is good thanks to the smart, narrow openings below the screen, making it directed towards your ears. Because the openings relatively close together, the stereo image would be better, but otherwise the audio system is performing better than average, with a fairly good bass and undistorted viewing of the somewhat higher volumes.

We are not in favor of curved screens for televisions, mainly because they pose disadvantages and so we were sorry that Samsung had with the introduction of the S-uhd models chosen to create a single curve models. Fortunately, the Korean electronics giant returned to this decision. The JS8000 is not a cheap TV, but offers great value for money and barely knows downsides. We hope that Samsung will offer the JS8000 also in other sizes, for those who find 55 inch too big or too small.

Skood

Established Member
I'm going to pick one of these up in currys tomorrow-OLED is still a bit rich for my taste and LG are having a few quality issues but I wanted to join the 4K bandwagon.

I have calibration gear so maybe I'll post a little review over the weekend if anyone is interested.

SteveH

Standard Member
I'm going to pick one of these up in currys tomorrow-OLED is still a bit rich for my taste and LG are having a few quality issues but I wanted to join the 4K bandwagon.

I have calibration gear so maybe I'll post a little review over the weekend if anyone is interested.
Very interested and would be much appreciated. I'm moving house in a couple of weeks so am teetering on getting this to wall mount in the new place.

Skood

Established Member
Just picked it up. Had some fun & games with currys as the 10% offer finished last night. At first they wouldn't honour it but as I reserved last night I got pretty stubborn. In the end the manager relented just to shut me up.
Muppets
I'll give some first impressions later.

Skood

Established Member
Ok so just a brief few first impressions.

Seems smaller than my last 55"due the thin bezel.

Lovely looking panel though fairly heavy for an LED due to metal back

Quite a glossy screen - picks up a lot of daytime reflection so be aware if you have Windows opposite.

Quite a blue push to the tv which was immediately obvious coming from a calibrated plasma but it calibrated a dream. Average de for greyscale and cms all under 0.8 de2000

Some clouding on scenes where there is a mixture of light and dark but not distracting and no where near my previous experience of LED's

No corner light bleed at all - very happy with this as it ruined watching movies on my last LED.

Watched some football - no DSE or banding, in fact on test patterns this had better screen uniformity than my plasma. Cracking stuff.

Viewing angles are pretty poor. No problem if you sit dead on but you don't have to move much the sides to see colour and contrast drop off. In fairness this is a problem with VA panels but I accept that in trade for the better black levels.

Game mode is excellent - very responsive and as it has 2 point white balance and full cms so it's fairly easy to dial in a decent calibrated picture.

Black level is pretty good. Not plasma good but not miles away.

3D is better than on my Panasonic st60 but that's not saying a lot. Still quite obvious crosstalk however I have not calibrated 3D properly so I may see some improvements down the line. No glasses with the tv but I had spares.

Only watched a bit of 4K on Amazon and YouTube but detail is excellent - uncompressed 4K Blu Ray should be great.

Strange issue with HDR content where backlight gets boosted to full which means elevated black levels so the picture looks like the brightness and contrast have been maxed. Looks pretty rubbish really - this is only with Amazon.

On certain test patterns (40 & 80 ire) noticed very faint horizontal stripes - led's possibly. Only seen it once on real content which was a live music concert with heavy strobing. I'll keep an eye for more but I didn't find it distracting.

Lots of reviews on the tv recommend turning LED clear motion on - I found this produced flicker in bright scenes which gave me sore eyes very quickly - besides even off I found the motion pretty good - tested this with spears and Munsil.

Upscaling from HD sources is good especially Blu Ray. I haven't tried SD as the only SD I would watch is upscaled DVD's

Hope that helps a bit. Any questions then fire away.

SteveH

Standard Member
Sounds pretty good, bit of a bugger that I've missed the Curry's 10% deal. Definitely leaning toward buying this.

Viewing angles are pretty poor. No problem if you sit dead on but you don't have to move much the sides to see colour and contrast drop off. In fairness this is a problem with VA panels but I accept that in trade for the better black levels.
Is it the same vertically? I'm used to my IPS panel, place we're moving to has a fireplace 1150mm high, suppose I can get a tilting bracket for it if I need to.
Game mode is excellent - very responsive and as it has 2 point white balance and full cms so it's fairly easy to dial in a decent calibrated picture.
Music to my ears. Is it easy access to switch from a custom calibrated game mode back to a movie mode?

Skood

Established Member
Yes there is vertically - mine is also on a tilted bracket so not an issue.

Game mode unfortunately like all samsungs is buried in an obscure menu. Luckily I have a harmony remote so I have set up a sequence to make it easier.

haim77

Established Member
Yes there is vertically - mine is also on a tilted bracket so not an issue.

Game mode unfortunately like all samsungs is buried in an obscure menu. Luckily I have a harmony remote so I have set up a sequence to make it easier.

Hi,

I just wondered what your thoughts of the js8000 were now you've had it for a while longer?

I've been looking at the js8500 but can't quite get my head round the curve aspect, especially as it's only a 55" model I'm not sure that the curve benefits.

I can't find anywhere with the js8000 in store so it'd be a toss up between this and the ju6800 60" as they're the same price at the moment

Skood

Established Member
Yeah I'm happy with it but you have to accept the issues that come with a LCD

Viewing angles are pretty poor so if you have seating that is regularly used off centre then I would be looking at an IPS panel or Oled.

I find light blooming very minimal but it is there - I have calibrated the set and the backlight is set very low (6/20) but at higher settings you will notice some blooming unless you turn smart LED off which will then compromise the black levels

There is a very occasional problem with video processing on 50hz sources. I only ever really notice on football either when graphical text is overplayed or on slow motion shots and I get a very slight stutter. My only source for this is sky - no problems with 60hz or 24hz sources.

On the plus side picture quality is superb and the tv calibrated really well. Screen uniformity is the best I have ever seen on a LCD and black levels are really good.

Gaming is also great - as long as you remember to engage gaming mode.

Smart tv interface is very smooth and picture quality of 4K/HDR streaming sources is very good.

For me this is a two year TV until OLED drops to a more reasonable level but I wanted to get in on the 4k/HDR bandwagon.

Last edited:

j3001m

Established Member
Yeah I'm happy with it but you have to accept the issues that come with a LCD

Viewing angles are pretty poor so if you have seating that is regularly used off centre then I would be looking at an IPS panel or Oled.

I find light blooming very minimal but it is there - I have calibrated the set and the backlight is set very low (6/20) but at higher settings you will notice some blooming unless you turn smart LED off which will then compromise the black levels

There is a very occasional problem with video processing on 50hz sources. I only ever really notice on football either when graphical text is overplayed or on slow motion shots and I get a very slight stutter. My only source for this is sky - no problems with 60hz or 24hz sources.

On the plus side picture quality is superb and the tv calibrated really well. Screen uniformity is the best I have ever seen on a LCD and black levels are really good.

Gaming is also great - as long as you remember to engage gaming mode.

Smart tv interface is very smooth and picture quality of 4K/HDR streaming sources is very good.

For me this is a two year TV until OLED drops to a more reasonable level but I wanted to get in on the 4k/HDR bandwagon.

It be a good idea if av forums do a full review of this tv as it's the only flat suhd Samsung tv at this time, big window for a review I be thinking or is this them saying that all they reviews are paid for by Samsung, come on AV forums, also a very cheap suhd tv at this time only £1349, please get back to me AV forums on why you have not reviewed the only flat Samsung suhd TV when most buyers like flat TVs come on review it please?????

Last edited:

nick270881

Established Member
I've got a JS8000 after 3 attempts to get a problem free JS8500, it is nice but I'm not sure if I prefer the 8500 (if I could find one without light borders)

The black level performance is good on very dark scenes but there seems to be a waxy effect on mid level scenes and I'm sure the curved one had a better viewing angle based on my position (3.5m from the screen and dead centre) and had what seemed like more depth and pop to the image

haim77

Established Member
I've got a JS8000 after 3 attempts to get a problem free JS8500, it is nice but I'm not sure if I prefer the 8500 (if I could find one without light borders)

The black level performance is good on very dark scenes but there seems to be a waxy effect on mid level scenes and I'm sure the curved one had a better viewing angle based on my position (3.5m from the screen and dead centre) and had what seemed like more depth and pop to the image

If you weren't sat dead square centre would you still prefer the 8500 vs the 8000?

Its not the tightest of angles, with 0 being dead on our 2nd sofa is probably about 20-30 degrees over to the left which is why i wondered if the flat panel set would be better

Skood

Established Member
If you weren't sat dead square centre would you still prefer the 8500 vs the 8000?

Its not the tightest of angles, with 0 being dead on our 2nd sofa is probably about 20-30 degrees over to the left which is why i wondered if the flat panel set would be better

The viewing angle thing is a funny one. When you sit off centre it is mainly the furthest corners where you notice the wash out of colours, so whilst the viewing angle is the same with the curve, the fact is that the furthest corner is actually facing more towards you therefore mitigating the wash out.

That said this screen has a viewing angle of 16 degrees so in your case I'd be looking at an IPS or if the budget is there then OLED.

Skood

Established Member
Couldn't put up with the poor colours and washed out look so have boxed u the 8000 and am back with an 8500

Not sure what you mean about the poor colour. I have calibrated my set and all dE's for greyscale and colour are less than 2 across the board so that's reference performance.
Have you calibrated or just using presets?
On mine it was tricky to line up colour saturations,however by turning up the colour control slightly and calibrating to 75% saturation and amplitude I was able to get everything to behave. That said leaving colour space on auto is fairly close anyway and gives perfectly acceptable results as long as you have lined up the greyscale. Closest preset is movie with colour temp set to to warm2 however the greyscale still needed work as it was too blue. That can be pretty much completely sorted with 2 point while balance. The gamma however still needed work in the midrange 30-80 IRE using the 10 point white balance.

I do agree that viewing angles are fairly poor. Not a problem for me as seating distance is less than 3m and centred on a tilted bracket aimed at the viewing position. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the set if I had to watch it off centre.

Philosophy

Established Member
How will this set compare in comparison with the 55" h6400 in terms of black level performance and game mode response time? I know the 4k is an obvious improvement but I don't want to drop down £1300 for the exact same black level performance (or worse) and more game mode lag.

Skood

Established Member
I have a h6400 in the bedroom. Massive difference in black level as the h6400 has no local or global dimming and no cinema black. Gaming lag is a bit quicker on the JS8000 but you'd only notice on online Fps

Philosophy

Established Member
I have a h6400 in the bedroom. Massive difference in black level as the h6400 has no local or global dimming and no cinema black. Gaming lag is a bit quicker on the JS8000 but you'd only notice on online Fps
What's it like in comparison without game mode? I sometimes play the h6400 without game mode for single player games because of the added processing making them look a little better, is there much if any difference?

Thanks for the other information though, is the black level a clear improvement over the h6400 then? I have my PC hooked up via HDMI for gaming movies and streaming and I use HDMI level normal on the set and push full rgb through nvidia control panel, I assume I could do the same with this set no fuss?

Skood

Established Member
Ok due to the fact that the js8000 has far more video processing going on in the background I would say it wouldn't be acceptable to play without game mode as we are talking about 130ms compared to 35ms in game mode. Besides I wouldn't see any reason to - game mode lacks 10 point white balance but in every other respect you can calibrate a very good picture with it.

As long as you've have correctly calibrated your display chain to accept full range then I don't think you would have any issues - you just set your black level accordingly.

I came to the js8000 from a last gen panny plasma and I'm happy with the black level. It does however depend where you set your backlight and I do use bias lighting behind the panel.
Black level does take a bit of a hit with HDR due to the backlight being locked to max.

Philosophy

Established Member
Ok due to the fact that the js8000 has far more video processing going on in the background I would say it wouldn't be acceptable to play without game mode as we are talking about 130ms compared to 35ms in game mode. Besides I wouldn't see any reason to - game mode lacks 10 point white balance but in every other respect you can calibrate a very good picture with it.

As long as you've have correctly calibrated your display chain to accept full range then I don't think you would have any issues - you just set your black level accordingly.

I came to the js8000 from a last gen panny plasma and I'm happy with the black level. It does however depend where you set your backlight and I do use bias lighting behind the panel.
Black level does take a bit of a hit with HDR due to the backlight being locked to max.

So what does game mode actually affect in terms of picture quality (other than the white balance) the only thing I can see that is does on my 6400 is it disables digital clean view, mpeg noise filter and smooth motion, things that I rarely use anyway (the former two for some older movies on my PC) so I assume it is the same for this TV? I don't see any differences on my TV in game mode compared to normal as I have calibrated both identically.

Can I also ask, other than the curve, what is the difference between this and the 8500?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom