Samsung STB: recording one channel viewing another?

P

philws

Anyone know if the samsung digital TV STB from Virgin can let you record one channel (e.g. via one scart output) whilst viewing another?

I'm upgrading this week from the analog service and don't want to lose this capability (at least with respect to the "standard terrestrial channels").

No. It has to be on the channel you are recording. There is only one tuner in it.

Your only options are to go for a second Samsung or get a V+.

If you have the RF loopthrough option installed (doesn't come as standard so ask the engineer to do it) you can watch / record one of the 5 terrestrial channels whilst watching / recording a cable channel.

David

If you have the RF loopthrough option installed (doesn't come as standard so ask the engineer to do it) you can watch / record one of the 5 terrestrial channels whilst watching / recording a cable channel.

David

think I may need to ask engineer to come back out and do this since getting digital in, folks have done nothing but complain that they can't tape and watch other channels seems the STB box doesn't deliver terrestrial channels I had to go buy cheap indoor aeriel so they can watch 1-5 while taping cable.

Hi akane_1984,

As you stated, the STB doesn't deliver the 5 analog terrestrial channels, but they are sent unscrambled on the incoming cable *before* the STB. Just fit a simple splitter on the incoming cable. Once it's been split, just connect one feed to the "Cable in" on your STB as normal & the other feed to your RF Input on your TV/VCR. Voila! :)

Hi akane_1984,

As you stated, the STB doesn't deliver the 5 analog terrestrial channels, but they are sent unscrambled on the incoming cable *before* the STB. Just fit a simple splitter on the incoming cable. Once it's been split, just connect one feed to the "Cable in" on your STB as normal & the other feed to your RF Input on your TV/VCR. Voila! :)

But if you use a splitter be aware that VM do not support this so if you have to call an engineer for a fault you will have to remove the splitter before they arrive onsite. I was told by a NTL engineer that fitting splitters to the incoming cable causes signal problems for you and your neighbours.

David

but if an engineer comes out and does the rf loopthrough that would be ok and would get me terrestrial channels and cable ok.

but if an engineer comes out and does the rf loopthrough that would be ok and would get me terrestrial channels and cable ok.

Yes

have engineer coming out tuesday due to a fault with our box so gonna get him to do this while here.

So I've been "upgraded" now. And the engineer refused to install an RF loopthrough (saying that it is against company policy and that they are no longer supplied to the engineers because of issues that they causse).

I wonder if the idea of a simple "splitter" described by benraz69 will work... otherwise I'll have to get a standard aerial installed... :(

I'm really unimpressed that digital STBs can only handle the one channel output. :thumbsdow

I've been "persuaded" to try out the V+ box (really irritating because I already have a good HDD/DVD PVR) - at least they did a deal so I effectively get it for "just" £3 a month.

So I've been "upgraded" now. And the engineer refused to install an RF loopthrough (saying that it is against company policy and that they are no longer supplied to the engineers because of issues that they causse).

I wonder if the idea of a simple "splitter" described by benraz69 will work... otherwise I'll have to get a standard aerial installed... :(

I'm really unimpressed that digital STBs can only handle the one channel output. :thumbsdow

I've been "persuaded" to try out the V+ box (really irritating because I already have a good HDD/DVD PVR) - at least they did a deal so I effectively get it for "just" £3 a month.

Wait till you try V+ you wont go back, its a brilliant PVR.

damn thats not good news I was hoping to ask engineer to do this for me tomorrow. Did the engineer give you the V+ that day???? do they carry such things in there Vans spare.

Sadly no... there's a bit of a shortage at the mo, so I'm having to wait until 26th of this month to get the V+ box... :(

Wait till you try V+ you wont go back, its a brilliant PVR.

I've got the Pioneer DVR-930HS (had it a while now) and really like the 7 day GUIDEPlus+ EPG and massive 400GB hard drive (managed to fill it once so far). It has a pretty reasonable video editing and DVD creation capability too.

Can the V+ send one channel selection out to your TV whilst sending another to a separate destination (without using copy to DVD)?

Can the V+ send one channel selection out to your TV whilst sending another to a separate destination (without using copy to DVD)?

Don't think so I'm afraid :(

engineer due out anytime now today, I hope he doesn't tell me he can't do rf loopthrough. . .

answer me this when engineer comes out if he did have a V+ in van are they allowed to install one for you on your request, then he would inform Virgin who would change your bill???

thinking if this rf loopthrough can't be done, just upgrade to V+

From what sales told me the engineer wouldn't have a spare in the van because of the shortage. But you can always ask!

when analogue is switched off this will only work if you buy a stb box ie freeview

Yes, true. However, just had V+ installed and this engineer was happy to put in the required splitter completely FoC so I can use my 7 day EPG again! Yay!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom