1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Spinpoint HDD's

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mephistopheles, Nov 19, 2003.

1. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone using these? Are they as quiet as claimed? Are they fast enough for DV editing?

I'm looking to stick x4 160GB discs in a RAID media/general file server now, with a view to being able to try my hand at video editing in due course. The server is a rackmount dual PIII 933 Acorp i815EPD with embedded Promise Fasttrack 100 Controller, which, with the exception of the temporary HDD's I'm using is, so far, virtually silent and I would like to keep it that way. The Maxtor DM9's would be great for the large capacity but a friend has one in a PC and it's noisy in comparison to the Seagate Barracuda V I have in the HCPC.

Any thoughts, guys?

2. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've read some reviews of the Spinpoint and one of them gave them an award for speed and rated them to be one of the quietest on test. It was in PC Pro magazine a month or so back.

To be honest any ATA100 or greater, fully defragmented 7200rpm drive should be fast enough for DV editing. If it's not DV, maybe full frame HuffyYUV, then I couldn't say. But either way, the RAID configuration should help out there.

I like your approach to a new skillset; Not done any video-editing before but get a dedicated server with 4 x 160gb hardrives! :eek:

Like most people, I use the same machine for video-editing as everything else, but with dedicated disks. Apart from that I watch what software I install on the machine and I bought a full-free-space defragmenter application (the other alternative is to reformat the drive when you start a new project).

Hope this helps,

Gunrock

3. BOD

BOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just put a Samsung Spinpoint 120gb in my SKy+ box - quietest drive I have ever heard.

Any drive these days running at 7200rpm with a 2mb buffer will do DV editing. I was using these 2 years ago to do DV. You will notice a big difference if you went for the 8mb buffer though.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have a 40Gb spinpoint in my HTPC, cant fault it, and it was the cheapest drive i could find too!

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Spinpoints it is then.

6. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 3 of the 160GB/8MB drives in my HTPC...

Faster and quiester than the Barracudas (which I now use for backups) - and 3 years warranty. No more IBM crap drives !!

/BJ (0.5TB in the living room :) )