• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung Spinpoint 1TB - Quiet Mode?

kevmarshall

I am putting a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD in my Sky HD PVR and want it set to Quiet Mode as I understand speed is not an issue.

I have used HDDScan to diagnose the drive while it is in a USB SATA Caddy into my PC. It shows as AAM enabled. The settings go from 128 to 254 (current setting)

Is there an optimum Quiet Setting or is it just as simple as sliding it down to 128 ?

Cheers.

pugheaven

I am putting a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD in my Sky HD PVR and want it set to Quiet Mode as I understand speed is not an issue.

I have used HDDScan to diagnose the drive while it is in a USB SATA Caddy into my PC. It shows as AAM enabled. The settings go from 128 to 254 (current setting)

Is there an optimum Quiet Setting or is it just as simple as sliding it down to 128 ?

Cheers.

I can't answer your question, however, I have 2x1TB sammies in RAID1 on my PC, and I can barly hear them? You sure it matters?

Also, you 100% sure they'll work in the sky box? I thought they were limited to 500GB?:confused:

kevmarshall

Thanks for replying.

I have decided to leave it set as it is and infact I am in the middle of installation now.

Using the excellent Copy+ programme to transfer the data from the WD 300GB from SkyHD onto the 1TB Samsung.

Many members have already upgraded to 1TB so I am 100% sure it can be done. See the SkyHD forum for more info.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom