1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung sp50lhx bought in the USA

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pitufon, Aug 28, 2005.

1. pitufon

pitufon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all:

I have the chance to go the USA and bring back to Europe the "american twin sister" (the price there is 1700$!!!).

I know the european sammy has the multisystem capability that the american does not.

I think I can use the american model as a monitor for computer but my questions here are:

How can I use this TV in a PAL enviroment?

If I´m planning to buy a digital decoder (TDT) for digital broadcasts, will it work?

Samsung advices me not to buy that tv for using it in Europe, but I guess they don´t like the idea, thought they never deny the use here in Europe.

Thanks in advance

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Don't know if you have already, but go to USA Samsung site & check out the spec of the set for rear connectivity, etc.

For sure you won't be able to connect anything via SCART because the Americans don't have/use the SCART system.

Alright it might cost you £1000 to buy but how much will it cost to bring over :confused:

Why don't you save yourself some hassle. Currys on-line price is currently £1824 for the SP50L7HX. If you don't want to buy on-line go in-store & request they sell it at their web exclusive price. Their in-store policy is that they will price-match their on-line price, so don't take no for an answer....

Even if you did buy in the US, what are you going to do if it doesn't work or breaks down ???

Making it too complicated for yourself in my opinion :D

3. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
  4. pitufon

pitufon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lion.

5. pitufon

pitufon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks J80FAB

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Samsung DLPs have lots of obstacles to successful importing because they work on 110V, have an NTSC tuner, accept 60Hz video frame rate, it's big and heavy and expensive to ship, etc. Though it will work off the VGA input using a PC or scaler.

Why don't you consider a big Plasma instead? Having read many spec sheets, the US models seem to have much more flexibility in operation than the DLPs, for some reason. You would need to use a set top box, but many of the other obstacles would disappear. Shipping might be risky, as they MUST be kept upright, but that could be a better opportunity.

Nick

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Why on earth even consider shipping any television from The USA?

:confused:

Shipping costs, customs and VAT duties, risk of damage in transit, voltage incompatability, no PAL reception, 60Hz only, no SCARTS, etc, etc, but above all...

WHAT IF IT BREAKS DOWN? :rolleyes:

There's a very good reason Samsung is advising you against importing this set...

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Because it's much cheaper, of course.

Oh Sorry; was that a rhetorical question?....?

Nick

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Uh yeah, I kinda understood that it was because it was cheaper... :rolleyes:

Then the question is this - add on shipping costs, import / customs duty and V.A.T and ask yourself if the (now smaller) amount you've saved is worth the hassle of what happens if something goes wrong with the set? Especially with the myriad problems plasmas (which you are advocating) are prone to.

Your first serious problem with the set will probably wipe out the savings. These screens must be shipped upright, hence very expensive shipping. I read a post from someone on the plasma forums who had to pay £125 just to have the screen shipped to the service centre, then add a hefty bill for repairs on top of that.

I've read enough horror stories on these forums about damage due to delivery within the UK. If I was waiting for one of these screens to ship by road from the US dealer to the port, then ship from the US port to the UK port, then from the UK port to customs, then by road from customs by courier to my house, my nails would be chewed down to stumps with worry. That's a lot of different people handling your precious and delicate screen - and of course they'll all be aware of the do's and don'ts of how to delicately handle, store and carry one of these screens, won't they? :rolleyes:

There's a very good reason (aside from a raft of compatability issues) that people tend not to ship these sets from the USA - it's called peace of mind.

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I thought people were allowed to have different opinions on these forums and voice them freely. Of course there are shipping, Vat, duty and insurance charges to add to the purchase costs, but that is not the real issue. It is whether the residual cost savings are worth the additional risks and inconvenience. It is a decision process that I have been through a few times, and it is not clear cut. As a matter of fact, I've successfully imported some electronics goods, but decided not to go for the DLP RPTV. That's a decision for the individual to make when they are in possession of all the facts. It is not for someone else to make up their mind for them.

Best regards, Nick

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the points the_pauley makes here are perfectly valid and not to be overlooked when considering any large purchase from a country other than your own. The cost for returns because you bought the product outside of your country would always have to be met by you, unless you specifically bought a warranty above and beyond that which normally comes with it (digital cameras are a good example of where this works).

I think we have several opinions which have been voiced freely here (which is what the original poster was looking for if I am not mistaken), and I don't see anyone forcing anyone to accept their opinion, simply making the poster aware of the secondary costs they might incur due to import taxes or returning for repair which could easily wipe out any potential cost savings.

IMO importing goods of this type and size from the US is a no brainer - you'd have to be insane to do it.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes they are. You, the_pauley and anyone else. So long as it's on topic. Which this statement isn't. Let's please return to the subject at hand.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I agree with Paulie and have voiced my opinons a few times on this subject. If you were looking to import a dvd player or amp/reciever I would say fair enough, but a DLP rear pro is a nono in my books. Too big and way to many issues. I think your asking for trouble doing such a thing.

:)