1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L7HXX, worth getting? where from?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RaPiDfIrE, Dec 8, 2004.

1. RaPiDfIrE

RaPiDfIrE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am seriously considering going out and buying the new "Samsung SP50L7HXX 50" TV Featuring Digital Light Processing Technology" i like many others saw it in currys the other day, but i need to know if it's worth the money and also a worthwhile buy, is it any good? all help is welcome, i thank you in advance

also where is the best place to get it from? (price)

2. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    bump

3. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am thinking of getting this too can anyone advise please. Did you buy it m8? If so how much? Would you recommend it? I have been offered one from a m8 for £1700 brand new still boxed should I buy? £3500 in Currys.

4. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1700 brand new and boxed :eek: I'll have it you don't want it!! :smashin:

5. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know anything about them m8? How do they compqre to Plsmas and LCDs?

6. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    There isnt a massive difference between any of the HD2+ DLP sets atm in my experience,but clearly the samsung wins hands down on looks compared to most of the others currently available.

I have an Optoma RD50 here atm (yes it STILL hasnt been picked up) but its going back due to the NTSC problem,I'm now awaiting the samsung as a replacement,it will be 1-2 weeks before I recieve it,once I do i'll be doing a post with my opinions if its a keeper,I'm yet to hear anything really terrible about it on here or avsforum so I got my fingers crossed for this one.

I'd certainly always choose DLP over plasma or LCD hearts,being truely HD ready (1280x720 res) and having better blacks than I've ever seen an LCD produce,it seems the best choice right now unless your into front projection.

Merry xmas

Sean

7. maggieaw

maggieaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if you could tell me who this vendor is (the one selling for £1700) since I also saw this television and would like to buy one. :thumbsup:

8. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I bought this TV a couple of weeks ago from Currys (£3.5k). I've got it rigged with a Denon 3910 DVD Player, a Sony AV receiver with Sony Pascal speakers. I connected the TV through component and HDMI and both connections offer superb pictures although I'm getting an occasional drop-out on one of the component colours (replugging the cable seems to sort it - this could be cable problems or TV or DVD, haven't got to the bottom of it yet). Star Wars IV looks absolutely brilliant through either source with brilliant sharpness and vibrant colours (real blacks and whites - every pit and mark on the stormtroopers' uniforms is visible. DLP really keeps up with action as well.

Now for the downside(s). The TV arrives in a box that could be sold as a bijou residence in Kensington for two people. The boxed TV sits on a pallet and is an absolute monster to unbox. Be warned.

TV picture quality for me is not so good because I live in area with a very poor reception from air (no satellite). However through a pioneer freeview box reception is really very good. Setting up the TV is very easy aside from the size/weight problems.

I thought at first that the screen was dirty - looked like an inner frame of smeared greyish dirt. Then discovered this was on the inner surface of the screen. This seems to disappear as the TV (and the room) warms up so by the evening if the TV has been on for a while the image is fine. Can't find out what this is but it looks like moisture perhaps? I've tried some american forums who report similar faults on Samsung models with some people saying it does get better over time i.e. months. I don't know whether I am going to wait that long because it is very annoying. This is a shame because when this "smearing" disappears the picture is fantastic.

No fan noise or rainbow artifacts to report (from me anyway - the rainbow effect can be "person specific" i.e. your visual system may more susceptible to this effect). Hope this helps.

PS - I nearly bought the Sagem Axium but found out that the DVI connection is not HDCP compatible.

Karl

9. geezasid

geezasid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karl - What is your opinion on the HDMI picture? A couple of magazine reviews I have read complain of picture quality issues with this connection.

eg. What Video/Widescreen TV referred to "low-level green blocking noise over deep balcks".

I'd really appreciate your comments on this as its the only thing stopping me from putting my cash on the line for this.

PS. I've seen this screen for £3k in Selfridges (London), the same price as the 43inch Pioneer.

10. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of this set from UNBEATABLE.COM just over a week ago (after being on the waiting list for almost 2 months) and have it hooked up to a SAMSUNG HD945 DVD player via HDMI lead and have to say that the picture quality is simply breathtaking. No digital noise on blacks to report via the HDMI input (as reported in a couple of home cinema mags) but I do notice the occasional rainbow effect (guess that’s down to me). The picture quality from NOKIA freeview box connected to AVI (RGB) via a THOR scart cable is also superb.

I to am experiencing the same problem as Karl regarding a grey smearing (almost like finger smudges) on the inner surface of the screen and while I find them not too distracting they are definitely there and are driving my Mrs nuts (she was the one that spotted them). UNBEATABLE have been good enough to agree to send out a replacement and take this one back but I’m not looking forward to boxing the beast up after many hours of concealing the multiple cable connections and power leads for DVD player, X-Box, Freeview box, Gamecube (Resident Evil 4 Rules!!). Can anyone out there report that they in fact have a ‘Smear’ free screen on the SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX or am I wasting my time getting a replacement sent out?

One last thing did anyone else receive a additional box with there SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX containing an additional three shelf glass unit that attaches to the left side of the TV’s triangular glass base for much needed storage capacity. I’ve not seen or heard about this before and was over the moon to receive it packaged with the TV as it actually improves upon the stunning elegant design of this set and storage capacity was always going to be an issue otherwise with this TV.

11. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Saltyseadog the smearing is a known prob with this model ( i did own one also)
    it is basically condensation that builds up inbetween the dual layers of the screen. To get rid of it simply use a soft cloth and apply light pressure "wipe it away", You will then find it will be gone until the next morning or whenever the tv is switched off for a long period time.

Hope this helps mate :)

12. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Karl did you get the extra shelves Saltyseadog got from unbeatable
    I am thinking of getting this set too ?
    looking closely at the Sagem HD-D45 though a bit smaller has it a better PQ ?

13. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry for late reply - didn't get extra shelves. Smear issue plus dead mirror/pixel finally defeated me and I've asked for a refund. So I'm now looking for another TV. Real shame because the TV picture and connectivity are awesome.

Karl

14. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Karl, I have just ordered my set from unbeatable they said it would come with the shelves. They gave me Samsungs number to check what type.
    Samsung informed me that this set comes with the TR50L7PX/XEC shelves as standard in the UK! Why are some people not getting them? I will be upset if I do not receive the shelves.

Sorry to here you had to give up on the set, this is starting to worry me as Salty sea dog seems to as well

15. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have my set and wouldn't part with it for the world (unless something serious occurs) as the picture quality is quite simply stunning (especially DVD playback via HDMI) and I’m prepared to live with the smear/smudge problem which will hopefully disappear when the weather starts to get a little warmer.

16. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I like to hear, started to get excited again, can't wait for the delivery!

17. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interested to hear if your set suffers from the screen smear/smudge issue and also if this can be rectified by simply using a hair dryer. Make sure that unbeatable send you the SAMSUNG TR-50L7P glass shelving side unit as it really does enhance the very stylish look of the set even further :thumbsup:

18. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Salty Seadog, waiting on delivery to Unbeatable as soon as its up and running will let you know if I can see any smears.

19. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi All,

for anybody that is interested, MAKRO are doing this screen for £2,399 +VAT (2,818). Don't know if it comes with shelves or not

Cheers

Lawrenso

20. Turkey Shooter

Turkey Shooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading, researching and was convinced I would buy a plasma screen. I even succumbed to the purchase of a new 3 pc suite and wallpaper the livingroom to ease the path with my wife.

You can read for months and it doesn't help to reach a decision, so I went shopping to the high street and that is even harder. Why do these retailers think I will part with a couple of grand on a grainy image.

I was drawn to the Axium because its image surpassed the rest, running a HD demo through a computer. I then asked the assistant to feed the same input as was being shown on the adjacent plasma to see the day to day difference - I think she would have struggled to have plugged in a toaster!

Anyways after a lot more looking I seem to have come to the conclusion that DLP is where I want to go and the Samsung pleases my eye most.

I am reaching the end of my quest and think I will also buy the SP50L7HXX.

I am very excited about the prospect and can't believe I am finally about to AH-AH-AH buy a TV. :zonked:

Just would like to ensure a satisfied cigarette moment afterwards, rather than a Hamlet tune (or was it Castella?) :smoke:

So, I would like to get your feedback DLPhopefull as soon as poss, or any others who have something to say about this unit.

I am contemplating the purchase of a new computer as well and would like to hook this up to the TV as a media solution, i.e. DVD, sound, TV recording etc.

All comments would be welcome.

Thanks

21. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know just how you feel Turkey shooter!

I have been mainly watching the US forums because they have had this TV for a lot longer than us. (HLP5085W) I have been waiting for the price to drop as I am really buying this to get ready for SKY HD next year. I will be using a Pace SKY + on Scart RGB at first and will give you my conclusion as soon as it arrives. Apparently I am 3rd on the list from unbeatable. £2399.00 inc VAT + £79.00 delivery. I have also taken out a five year warranty with WarrantyEX £281.00 Strangely if you ring them they only seem to be able to give you 3 years on this model, but if you do it on-line under rear projection TV it lets you do the five years! (And yes I have an email saying they cover the bulb)

Contact you when it arrives, I don't think we will be disappointed with our choice. :thumbsup:

PS I forgot to say unbeatable offer 9 months interest free credit on that price too. :clap:

22. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I have had mine up and running for a couple of months now and it is simply fabulous.
    I have been to friends houses who have Plasmas and I find the picture quality of the plasma way inferior to my Sammy.

SALTY "Interested to hear if your set suffers from the screen smear/smudge issue "
    Where would I see this? at the moment I havea perfect picture with nothing I can see wrong.

One thing I would like to know. Where do I get the replacement Bulbs if and when they go.

23. Turkey Shooter

Turkey Shooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hearts,

How does the set sound using the on board speakers?

24. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hearts,

This is what it looks like.

unfortunately Salty Seadog does see this now and then.

Attached Files:

25. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TURKEY The sound is great from om board speakers m8.

DLP I dont have anything like this thankfully.

Still interested in finding out where to buy the replacement Bulbs. Hopefully (fingers crossed) its a long way off but I like to be prepared and I would like to know how much they cost.

26. skirpydoink

skirpydoink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello there, i am ready to take the plunge myself.......i was going to go for a plasma but even the best sets dont look that good to me.

I might have a problem though as my spare room may not be big enough for it, i have plenty of room to accomodate it, but the distance i will sit away from it may be a problem.

I will be sitting about 10-11 feet away from the set.......i have seen the sagem running in Comet and it looked pretty good from 2-3 feet away.

Do you think 10 feet is enough distance to view this TV at good quality.

Also i have read reports of NTSC DVDs having jerky playback on some DLP sets......does this set suffer from this?

Thanks for any replies.

27. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    hi all

just been reading this interesting thread. im very interested in tha sammy now, was wondering if any of the people who were suffering with the screen smear had seen any improvements?? does any1 have a sammy that does not suffer with this problem???

also, Salty Seadog, i was interested to hear u got glass shelves with ure tv. im dying to see what they look like. would it be possible for u to post a pic??? i have been looking all over the net and cant find a single pic of how they suppose to look

thanks

28. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am thinking of buying the sp50l7hx from currys.can anyone tell me if the hdmi input is deffinately hdcp compliant?also what should i look for on their demo model?

29. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    its defo hdcp compliant

30. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine came today, IN ONE WORD AWESOME! (with a good feed)

No smears to be seen as yet

PS got the glass Samsung shelves free with the TV from Unbeatable :smashin: