1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L7HX Vs Toshiba 52WM48

Discussion in 'TVs' started by derek1971, Mar 15, 2005.

1. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi there,

I hope someone can help me here. I am thinking of buying a DLP TV and from what I have read and seen I have narrowed the choice down to the Samsung SP50L7HX and the Toshiba 52WM48 (although I am open to persuasion if anyone thinks there is something better out there).
    I do however have a few concerns and would be grateful for any advice/thoughts.
    I have only seen the 46" Toshiba (not the 52")and to be honest the picture was pretty awful. Very blocky and unclear. As far as I could see the picture was coming from a freeview box in a large store so I don't think that is a particularly fair representation of the true picture quality.
    In so far as the Samsung is concerned I have only seen it playing DVDs and the picture quality looked amazing.
    If I do decide to purchase one of these sets I would in the first instance be hooking it up to a Panasonic Sky Digital box and a playstation 2. In due course I would also be looking for a home cinema system but at the moment the budget is overstretched as it is!
    Can anyone tell me if the picture quality from Sky is likely to be better on one of these sets rather than the other. In particular I was concerned at some of the comments I have read about the picture quality of football/rugby etc. I watch a fair bit of Sky sports and would not be happy if the quality of these type of things was poor.
    I have also seen comments that the contrast ratio on the Tosh is a bit poor. I'm afraid I'm not too sure what that means exactly but is it something to worry about?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. rjvanes

rjvanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Derek1971,

I think I can say that I have seen all DLP's available in Europe. I have seen them in different cirumstances with different sources. It matters a lot which source has been connected to the DLP televisions.
    But the best shootout I have seen, was last Wednesday when I was for business purposes in Stuttgart and had some time to visit a local MediaMarkt.
    They had a very nice corner (with little annoying light). On a row they had the following DLP televisions displayed:
    - Sagem 50 inch;
    - Thomson 50 inch;
    - Optoma RD65;
    - Toshiba 46 inch.
    The source was a HDTV demo displayed on all televisions at the same time.
    My conclusions were:
    The thomson was bad (poor colors, unsharp picture).
    The Sagem was much better. Nice colors and very good picture. They also had the new 45 inch displayed. But I thought the 50 inch was better in overall picture.
    I was a little disapointed about the Optoma RD65. I would have expected that it would blow away all the others. But that wasn't happening. I even think the colors were not as nice as the Sagem and the Toshiba. The viewing angle of the Optoma was indeed very good. Nearly Plasma alike. But I found the Toshiba far above all others. It was Plasma sharp. But no artifacts and shading like most Plasma's suffer. Very very nice natural colors. I was completely suprised with the overall picture of the Toshiba.
    I don't know what it looks like with digital television. But to me it has the best picture in HDTV source. I saw monday at the Cebit in Germany the 50 inch Toschiba with poor television signal and it wasn't even that bad.

For me the Toshiba and the Samsung 50 inch are the ones to go for at this moment.
    I haven't decided yet which one I am going to buy, because I want to wait through the summer. I have seen the new Plasma's from Samsung with a contract ratio of 10000:1 (at the Cebit). According to Samsung these new Plasma's will arrive THIS SUMMER on the European market. And the picture was so incredibely good that I expect it will turn the current Plasma and DLP market upside down.
    Also in pricing I expect a major price drop from the current Plasma's and DLP televisions. Don't be suprised if you will see the Samsung 50 inch and Toschiba 50 inch below the 2000 euro in the fall of 2005.
    I also saw the new Samsung DLP 61 and 70 inch with resolution of 1920x1080 and contrast ratio of 10000:1. But the difference with the existing 50 inch Samsung was not that large as I had expected. Also these new models won't come to the European market before 2006. I think these large displays need the higher resolution and contrast ratio to still keep a good picture.
    They were not displaying a 50 inch with this high resolution and contrast ratio (so no fair comparison).
    To my opinion you best wait till October of this year and evaluate the market at that time.
    If the Samsung and Toschiba 50 inch have realy dropped below 2000 euro they are absolutely worth considering to buy. The new 50 inch Plasma of Samsung will probably have a market price between 4000 - 5000 euro at that time (introduction retail price in June is going to be around 6000 euro's). You have to make up your mind if the price difference between the DLP and Plasma is justified for the quality difference in picture and options.
    That's anyway something I am going to do.

Hope this helpes a bit.

3. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    My concerns about buying a DLP set are the same as yours – Football and Rugby. I have seen these sets displaying DVD’s and they look excellent. I recently went to John Lewis and they setup the Samsung with Sky+ showing football. Unfortunately they did not have a long enough RGB scart so they had to use a pal signal with I guess an RF cable. So the picture quality I saw should be able to be improved. The picture quality was ‘ok’. When the screen panned from side to side the grass lost a lot of definition. There were not too many artefacts around the players. Currently I have a Toshiba 50” RP CRT. For me this is the best picture I have seen for sports on a large screen. The picture quality on the Samsung DLT was by no means as good as this. I am still unsure whether to get a DLP. In an optimistic mood I hope that I will be able to improve the picture quality at home with the correct setup. Bit of a risk though. The obvious positives for the set above my current setup are HDTV and DVDs. The PQ on DVDs is unquestionably better.

What to do what to do!!!

I think at the moment I am going to do as rjvanes suggests and wait until the end of year and hope that the wife does not find excuses for spending the money set aside for it ;)

4. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    p.s. comments from Football fan DLP owners with optimum setup would be greatly appreciated!

5. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got some mates coming round to see the cup final on Sunday so I'll let you know after that.

I've watched some rugby and haven't noticed any problems but Sunday will be the real test.

6. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it true that the Samsung SP50L7HX can not display 1280x768 screen resolution on the digital input FROM A PC SOURCE? only 1024x768 and 800x600 ?

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football & Rugby are poor quality on DLP sets compared to CRT due to the amount of compression used.I often watch matches full screen on my 50" but if it's poor quality i just shrink the picture to around 36" using my PC TV digital freeview tuner card & the picture quality is as good as my sons 27" Toshiba CRT set

8. derek1971

derek1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Thanks for all the feedback. Still not too sure whether to buy now or wait a bit.

Fugative, how was the football on Sunday? What feed were you using? I haven't been able to find anywhere in Glasgow that will demo either the Toshiba or the Samsung with a Sky digital feed. If anyone knows of anywhere in Glasgow or surrounding area that does this could they let me know.

Thanks

9. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Derek, interestingly I saw my first problems with the picture during the rugby on Saturday. I experimented a bit and found for both the rugby and the fitba that the best quality picture was the analogue feed from BBC1. The satellite picture was much worse for the rugby and a little worse for the Gers game.

BBC feed was good, no obvious distortion or pixelating. It's obviously still not as good as dvd quality but I had no complaints from 'the crowd'. :D

10. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fugitive i agree with you about analogue having the best picture i watched the game too i'll bet they are still celebrating in the valleys, really enjoyed it, the picture quality was good but i saw the last couple of minutes of the Italy France game & that looked even better.
    I checked to see how my other sources handled the game
    Telewest cable was ok easily watchable full screen but analogue was a lot better.
    My PC tuner digital freeview card it was terrible, normally this has the best picture quality with football & rugby but you get jerky action (its great with other types of program recorded or live) so normally i use analougue for Rugby/Football

I took some photo's i didn't pause the picture when i took them which is why some of them are blurred here's the link
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197986

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rjvanes when you saw the hidef demos did it include any close ups of faces ?
    i have saw a high definition demo on the Sagem 45 that had a problem with skin tones, i have seen the same demo on Sagem 50 & it looked great.

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Out of the Samsung and tosh I would personally go for the Samsung.

13. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is picture quality better with analogue guys????? I though digital was suppose to be manna from heaven!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Digital is also better on the Optoma

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good digital camera is great fantastic quality but so is a good film camera
    I was struggling all last week to take a good photo of my set but i was using a cheap digital camera. I tried again with my film camera & they turned out pretty well.
    Digital can be great on Telewest Cable at its best but too often they compress it too much not enough bandwidth.
    It's also probable that some programs are higher quality to start with and so compress better.
    Here is a link to some photos i took yesterday each photo is less than 120 kb
    the last photo saved as a Jpeg is over 8MB but was good quality so compressed well.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1552031&postcount=129 :)