1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L7HX vs. Pioneer 505XDE Plasma?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hubert, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hubert

Hubert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had no responses on the Plasma forum so I thought I'd ask here -

Has anyone seen both on high quality inputs and can compare the pq,
    disregarding the price and form factor? Lots of people have said the
    SP50 looks great, would anyone say that it actually looks better than
    the Pioneer 505 with some sources?

The Pioneer and Plasmas in general obviously have higher brightness
    and a perfect viewing angle going for them, but what about other
    aspects of the picture...

I'd be particularly interested in knowing whether an Xbox connected to
    the 505 using the Hi-Def kit looks good. Several people have said it looks
    excellent on the SP50.

How does the built-in Freeview on the Pioneer compare to the Samsung
    when using a good Freeview box?

What about 720p HD from a PC or upscaled DVD via HDMI - how do they
    compare?

I'd be very grateful for any opinions - I want to make my mind up regarding
    which set to go for soon... I expect people will argue that the Samsung is
    better value for a 50" screen at 2k rather than 3.5k for the Pioneer, but if
    the Pioneer is at least as good or better than the Samsung in most aspects
    of PQ my budget might stretch to it...

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I have seen both and the samsung is the better choice in my opinon. I prefer the picture from a DLP to a Plasma.

Best thing to do though is demo and make up your own mind. Do the Pepsi challenge with your fav dvd's and console. :)

3. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I just think this whole telly buying experience is going to leave me with a migrane rather than a new tv set !!! :(

I know this is not a Pioneer, but I saw the new Panasonic TH-37PV500 HD ready plasma this afternoon. It was connected to a DVD player with bog standard phono plugs & was playing a Panasonic demo DVD. I actually thought it was a HD feed because the picture looked so perfect, clear & sharp :smashin:

Then when I looked over to the Samsung SP50L7HX with a DVD playing connected via an IXOS scart from my personal point of view I somehow felt that the Panasonic was much nicer picture-wise. :rolleyes:

Now I have no idea if the Samsung would be a good choice..... :(

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    It's all very subjective. Those who have bought a particular model, or technology, are pre-disposed to recommend it; after all, they've already done their own research and made their own decision - for them.

The fact of the matter is that the two things do the same job with subtly different results. Your choice, then...........

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've also done my share research on DLP models & it all seems to have gone to pot after seeing the Panasonic Viera HD. :suicide:

I reckon that the sample Panasonic DVD which was being pumped onto the screen of the TH-37PV500 may have been one of these enhanced SuperBit DVD technologies or something even better :confused: At first glace I was convinced it was an HD feed !

On the other side of the PQ of the Viera HD a few weeks back I saw the 42" PV500 with BBC News 24 on Freeview & the PQ was nothing really fantastic.

Anyway it seems that Hubert is looking for assistance as it's a comparison between a DLP & a plasma.

If it were a comparison between different plasma models then it is fair to say that it's a slightly different kettle of fish. :rolleyes:

6. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,665
    I owned a plasma for a couple of months !! Got rid after seeing the Samsung 50".Never looked back since ! I made a point of going to have a look at the new Panasonic HD 42",it was in dixons and i must say after all i have read up about this set i was very displeased ! The picture was not bad,but screen reflection was CRAP !! know matter what angle you looked at the set you could see everybody else in the shop !! DLP all the way :D

7. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to buy a plasma it would probably be a Pioneer - the design and PQ is pretty good, but like Razor, I personally just seem to prefer the picture from DLP.

Aesthetically I think their both equally good looking. You might want to consider that you may have to play extra for a stand or wallmount for your plasma too - and they aren't necessarily that cheap.

Not sure your comment about plasma's being brighter or having a higher contrast ratio than DLPs holds true, but I could be wrong here as I haven't really looked at the last batches of plasma in detail.

I still kinda like the fact that if the bulb blows in a DLP it is a user replaceable part, I'm still not convinced personally that plasma has overcome the burn in and lifespan issues that scared me off the technology in the first place.

@J80 (no, I am not stalking you in the forum ;) )

I looked at the Viera when it was first out, and it was ok, but I found the colour depth a little shallow and the picture a little grainy and colours bled a little to much for my liking. From a distance they look great, but closer up, they don't impress as much (well maybe the 50" version of it I saw last week was a little different, but you're looking at a whole other price bracket there).

Anyhow good luck - go demo them both with your own stuff and see what gives :)

8. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

The sammy must have been set up wrong at the shop, my mate has a pioneer pdp 435xde which is the same apart from size and even he agrees the PQ on my sammy is better. Certainly dlp is best for consoles, ive got my xbox running media center on 720p an is brill, forza is so much sharper. This tv and your xbox with HD lead are meant to be together IMO. Upscaled dvd is brill, i normally let the tv do the scaling, no point in them both doing the same job but i did find the hdmi made a big difference. :smashin:

9. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Plasmas under huge threat from DLPs. Shops would like to shift their plasma stock before everyone catches on. Do they deliberately disfavour the DLPs in terms of set-up, who knows ?
    I do recall seeing the cover of What Plasma in a shop today and seeing the strapline 'Now is the time to upgrade' and thinking yeah - right.....
    Consensus seems to be DLP - is everyone mad......or not.......

10. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Chumpy, brn14, Steve.J.Davies

The picture on the Viera HD I mentioned was perfect whether you looked at it from afar or close up.... no grainyness, colour bleed, nothing :eek: It just looked so natural !

As mentioned a Panasonic DVD demo was playing as 'Panasonic' logos kept appearing. I've never seen this demo before & it features two youngish-looking wenches strolling about the countryside and also shots of old buildings & coloured crystal wear :rotfl: I have a feeling that it may have been shot in the Czech Republic because that's where the Panny Viera is made :D

Anyway the demo was also being fed to a couple of other non-Panny sets & the picture still looked top notch. Perhaps it was some sort of specially encoded DVD :confused:

If the Samsung SP50L7HX is such a top product then it obviously needs to be setup better when on display. :confused:

Even in a group test I came across yesterday (see thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225086) there are comments from an individual from April/May saying that he was not impressed by the Sammy but that his attention was caught by the Sagem which was obviously playing its HD demo disc :rolleyes:

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I havn't compared the Samsung SP50 with the Pioneer plasma but can confirm the following.

Back in early January i was in Comet Greenwich comparing the Tosh 46WM48p DLP to a Pioneer Plasma - now i can't remember which model it was but it was retailing for 2,999.00 (had literally just been reduced) and it was definately HD - as this was one of my main got to have features. Anyway, i knew there was a problem with motion blur on the Tosh, so i decided to also consider the Pioneer Plasma. I took the DVD player over to the Pioneer (immediately after having it on the Toshiba) along with my test discs (Gladiator and Spiderman 2) and was shocked at the lack of colour on the Plasma. It wasn't only me either - my wife was the first one to notice it as out of all things she noticed right at the beginning that the flowers outside the shop next to the pizza place in Spiderman 2 wern't as vibrantly colourful as on the Tosh!

So, i decided to go with the Tosh in the end, and i also got it for £1500 compared with the Pioneer for 3K, but if the picture/colour had been as good on the Pioneer as it was on the Tosh then i would have got the plasma - as i wouldn't have had the motion blur problem - because in the end i couldn't live with the Tosh motion blur and decided to return it and ended up getting the Sammy - which i AM very happy and pleased with. :)

12. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: soni

Interesting ! After all that I'm pleased to hear that you're happy with the Samsung :D Hope it gives you hours of pleasure :D

I'm not a great film fanatic but think that would perhaps change a little if we got a huge tv !

In any case my DVD player apparatus comes in the form of a Pioneer DVL-909 LD/DVD combi player..... fancy taking that round the shops to demo 'Muriel's Wedding' !!! :rotfl: :laugh:

I did want to sell the Pioneer on Ebay, but after seeing a number of them go for pennies :eek: I decided not to.....

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    There is a Pioneer HD demo that is often displayed on these HD capable plasma screens. You can download it off e-donkey :D

I havent seen any 65' plasma that can touch my Optoma RD65 for picture quality. Plus all 60'+ displays are over the £10,000-00 mark. This is also true for front pros, the picture again is far better on the DLP front pro than it is on the plasma.

I am totally satisfied with my 65' DLP and wouldn't swap it for anyother type of display be it LCD or plasma, certainly not a CRT as they are way too small and again I prefer the picture from the DLP than the conventional CRT.

:thumbsup:

14. knightsyr

knightsyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got my dlp 46 samsung today . saw your set its awesome do u charge people to watch it lol . oh and by the way good choice of breakfast cereal :D

15. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: J80FAB

The last straw for me returning the Tosh - wasn't so much to do with films (although it did annoy me just as bad on films to) but it was watching the news one evening, the queen went by on a horse and cart, and as the camera panned and the coach went by, you couldn't see a thing in the cart - it was just all one big fizz (not that i really wanted to see her anyway) but I just thought enough is enough, if i can't watch the blinking news on it then it's not fit for purpose - that was the icing on the cake for me! I also know what you mean about selling your AV gear, i've still got my first Tosh DVD player upstairs under our bed, as its so old it won't even play cdr's etc., but to be perfectly honest it delivers such a blinding picture and still works perfectly that i can't justify giving it away! :cool:

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

knightsyr :hiya:

Viewings are all free in my house, only rule is a small donation of crunchy nut corn flakes and milk. :smashin: :D

Cheers fo the compliment and congratulations on your new display. Welcome to the DLP club :clap: :clap: :clap: Are you pleased wih your samsung?

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    Soni :hiya:

Second hand AV gear which is more than 2-3 years old is normally worth :censored: all. Ive got a few expensive VHS recorders (2 are S-VHS) and a few dvd players which arent worth anything. Shame really :rolleyes: I remember at the time I was so excited to buy them and often waited a few months researching them before taking the plunge. I suppose these DLP sets will be the same in time.

:D

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: :hiya: Razor

Razor is really happy with his 65" - But what he doesn't tell you is his viewing is dependant on the weather - as he has to watch it from a deck chair in the garden :D

19. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are near a costco, do yourself a favour and go in.

they have these sets on demo running a dvd to each set from the same source, its a clear cut case, the Pioneer is way better.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

LOL... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have now built a shed with a large window and sofa for when it rains. :D

Give it 5 years and you will all have a 60'+ screen :smashin:

avtodiefor

It all depends how they are set up. A good display set up incorrectly can look just as bad as a bad display. I would obtain some good settings from a owner and then match their settings or as close as possible bearing in mind different equipment will effect the settings slightly. I doubt that they are on the same connection as 1 source mostly has 1 of each output. ie 1 comp, 1 rgb scart, 1 dvi, etc....

You cant judge two displays when one is shows scart rgb and the other not or scart rgb against comp-p. You need the same disc and the same players on each display using the DVI/HDMI connection if not then component is the second choice. I would also look to see that the comp setting is on comp-i to judge the sets scaling rather than the dvd players. Then test with comp-p if you so wish.

This is the only way to judge fairly. :thumbsup:

21. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Razor

Would rather have an 82" screen in 5 years.

:hiya: Soni

Glad to see your enjoying your sammy in place of the tosh.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

br14n :hiya:

I would rather see the 82' now :devil: 5 years time Im holding out for a 100'+ shallower display. :lease: :lease: :lease:

Yes it nice to have Soni :hiya: back :clap: :clap:

23. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    did the same thing and watched the pioneer and the sammy at costco liverpool, i was stunned to see picture burn in on the pioneer, two grand more than the sammy as well. sorry sammy wins hands down. had the set a couple of weeks now , i have been that overwhelmed with the quality of this baby , it has taken me this time to come on the forum. and it smiles at you when you switch it on. ding dong

24. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Razor

100" inch, would def need an extension, could just picture it. :eek:

:hiya: Skip

I have to admit that seeing the wee smile always makes me smile, the PQ always brings a smile too. I recently had to endure 10wks of sheer hell in front of my set all day and night unable to move much and im still impressed every time i switch it on. Cant wait for HD to see these tvs really do their stuff. :clap:

25. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Br14n & Razor

Yep still enjoying my Sammy - problem is i'm running out of decent PQ films to watch :mad: . I joined Blockbuster on-line several months back, costs £20.00 per month for a 5 disc membership. Basically, you choose from around 200,000 titles on-line, you add the films you want to your pick list, they send you 5 dvds from that list, as and when you watch them, you return 1,2, 3, 4, or all 5 dvds together in the first class postage paid plastic delivery pouch included with each DVD, and then they send you the next ones from your list - 3 day turnaround, you send one back on the Monday for example, they receive it on the Tuesday and they send the next title out on that same day, and you receive the new title on the Wednesday - its a fantastic service it really is :) no late fees - no pressure to watch them within a specific time - just watch them as and when you wish then return them - i would recommend it to anybody and everybody :thumbsup: . But, as I say I seem to have watched most of the best PQ films about, so now I’m a little stuffed, as last night I stuck a film on, it received great reviews, but as soon as it started i could see it was an old film and of poor picture quality :mad: so I turned it off! The only films I seem to want to watch on the Sammy are films with stunning pictures and special effects – think i'm becoming addicted :eek: that’s what I believe these TV’s were designed for - addiction!!:devil: We need a lot more films to be released – they are just not coming out quick enough to meet our addictions!! :cool:

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

Sounds like you need HD to keep your high standards going. I wish it would hurry up. It's like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid....... Seems like forever. :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

27. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    br14n,all i can say is you jammy g*t 10 weeks of undisturbed viewing with this baby. i came across mine by pure chance , my tosh finally gave up the ghost so had to take it back to costco,when as the lady was counting out the cash they were moving two of the sammys into place. i went and had a look at the price and realised i had to put roughly another £400 to get one. now that choice would of usually not been a hard one to make, but i am currently coming to the end of building a extension on to my house and funds have started to get extremely tight.so it was getting the walls plastered and going back to my old 32" panny or the sammy.yep you guessed it i have convinced the wife that the dark black edges of the sammy go much better against the grey walls of the inside building block.so any cheap plasterers out there who fancy working for nothing but can watch a cracking picture on there tea breaks im your man. well we only live once don't we.

28. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like you've made the right decision to me Skips!! :thumbsup:

Now, if you had gone for the 82" Mitsubishi instead of the Sammy, you could have got your plastering done free of charge - because Razor would have been around your gaf in a flash!!!! :D

Correction - You should have bought the Mitsu before paying for the Extension, that way you could have got the whole thing built free of charge - because Razor would have been around your gaf permanently!!! Only thing he would ask for in return would be a bed next to the Mitsu and a pack of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes!!! :D :thumbsup:

Although - if you take a look at the following link you can see why http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=94

Razor :hiya:

29. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    soni :hiya: nice one. is it april the first or how the hell did you do that with your sammy.as for razor if your reading this i have the 100" tv and as for the cereal ive got plenty as its on offer at tesco as a bogof (by one get one free ) LOL.

30. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A sharp hacksaw and some gripfill is all thats required - oh, and a couple of bottles of the strong stuff!! :eek: