1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L7HX story PART 2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hman, Aug 16, 2005.

1. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PART 2 of my Samsung SP50L7HX story.

Got the TV into position, looked great, plugged in AV cables and tested the DVD player - picture/sound ok - fine. Plug in the HDMI cable and ... nothing. The television didn't detect the HDMI. My first rational (one could say hopeful) thought was, It's the cable!

Managed to test the HDMI cable and the DVD player (denon 1910) on a friend's system, which picked up the HDMI instantly and left me holding my hands in me head: aaaaaaaaagh it's the television!

Samsung are sending someone out this week - now my question is: if it's the HDMI/DVI input in the back of the television can this be easily repaired? Or am I better off demanding I get a replacement set?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If you are sure the HDMI is not working you should really request a replacement. Brand new TV should not have to be repaired so early on !

Just wondering whether the HDMI input is configured properly in the SP50's menu ???

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Definitely get a replacement. The moment you plug the hdmi in and switch the source (dvd) on then the hdmi sction in the av menu should go white, def sounds goosed. :thumbsdow

4. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure all the settings are right J80FAB. Even if they weren't, HDMI would still be highlighted as a selectable option under inputs, right?

:mad: this whole experience has been a big inconvenience. I may demand they replace it with an SP56! :cool: lol

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I agree with the other comments here. Get a replacement not a fix. Kick up a fuss if need be but get it replaced. :lesson:

BTW is this Part 2 the extended directors cut? :D

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Denon 2910 and Sammy SP50L7. Have you told the player to output via HDMI?

Just an idea :cool:

When i first got the Denon player i had the Toshiba 46WM48p and was wondering why the TV wouldn't receive the HDMI signal, and then i realised i hadn't set the player to output via HDMI. :)

7. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ... I haven't, actually. hmmmm I didn't even realise that was an option (???).

I did take the DVD player, along with HDMI cable, to a friend's place and when we plugged it into his system it picked up HDMI instantly so I can hazard an assumption and say that wouldn't be the issue.

lol Razor - yeah, and like any good story the tragedy keeps unveiling - Samsung service dude came out and the first thing he did (no joke) was jam a disc into my DVD player by lifting it up (disc slid back into the player :suicide: ). I just looked at him like, Tell me you didn't just do that! :confused:

8. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

And what was the outcome of his visit pray tell ???!!! The other tragedy would be that the fool has knackered the DVD player & not fixed the HDMI..... some people have no respect for other people's possessions :mad:

Is there something up with the HDMI input on the TV, or have you been daring & gone into the settings for the Denon to see if that makes a difference :confused:

Strange if there is something up with the HDMI. Surely the input would have been tested during the quality control stage in the factory ?

9. rramjotton

rramjotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have to select HDMI using the remote for the TV (source select) - I don't think it autodetects when I use my Samsung D950

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

[​IMG] I bet you were happy.

[​IMG]

11. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *sigh* where do I begin?

After all the fuss with the samsung service guy, I rang the place where I bought my television from and they were kind enough to get me a replacement.

Replacement arrived today - plugged it in and it picked up HDMI just fine. Played a DVD and at first glance the picture looked fine, but as I watched on I noticed really bad macroblocking (looked incredibly pixelated) over clear areas that consisted of mainly one color.

It was really noticeable on the Return of the King menu - and there were pink splotches scattered across! I fiddled with everything - the dvd player, the colors in the samsung's menu, and nothing.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'm assuming it has to be HDMI input again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks.

12. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The macroblocking seems to be more of an issue with the Denon's when using HDMI I'm afraid - do a search on the DVD forum with the keywords of 'denon' and 'macroblocking'.

13. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chumpy :hiya: - I haven't really considered the player being the issue. Being new to all this, I assumed a reliable brand like denon connected through HDMI wouldn't have any issues and that it would "have" to be the television. I can't believe how appauling the PQ is! The picture (almost) looks preferable through AV.

A friend of mine uses the same player/HDMI cable as me (connected up to a projector) and he doesn't have any macroblocking issues.

I'm going to test the denon out on another system tonight so I can be certain which is the problem. If it does turn out to be the denon what sort of options do I have?

14. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is some talk of updated firmware with the Denon's - some say it helps - others not - check out the DVD Players forum for info.

15. hman

hman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well Samsung are sending someone else down this week to check it out :( . I'm really curious to see what they say the problem is. If they do say it's the Denon I'm going to ask them to bring another player down and prove it.

A friend suggested the problem could be generating from the built in upscaler in the dispay device. Again, being new to all this, it just adds another possibilty to the mix. The list seems to be growing.