1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAMSUNG SP50L7HX 'Screen Smear' issue

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Salty Seadog, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of the SAMSUNG SP50L7HX 50” DLP TV from UNBEATABLE.COM just over a week ago (after being on the waiting list for almost 2 months) and have it hooked up to a SAMSUNG HD945 DVD player via HDMI lead and have to say that the picture quality is simply breathtaking. No digital noise on blacks to report via the HDMI input (as reported in a couple of home cinema mags) but I do notice the occasional rainbow effect (guess that’s down to me). The picture quality from NOKIA freeview box connected to AVI (RGB) via a THOR scart cable is also superb.

I to am experiencing the same problem as Karl regarding a grey smearing (almost like finger smudges) on the inner surface of the screen and while I find them not too distracting they are definitely there and are driving my Mrs nuts (she was the one that spotted them). UNBEATABLE have been good enough to agree to send out a replacement and take this one back but I’m not looking forward to boxing the beast up after many hours of concealing the multiple cable connections and power leads for DVD player, X-Box, Freeview box, Gamecube (Resident Evil 4 Rules!!). Can anyone out there report that they in fact have a ‘Smear’ free screen on the SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX or am I wasting my time getting a replacement sent out?

One last thing did anyone else receive a additional box with there SAMSUNG SP50L7HXX containing an additional three shelf glass unit that attaches to the left side of the TV’s triangular glass base for much needed storage capacity. I’ve not seen or heard about this before and was over the moon to receive it packaged with the TV as it actually improves upon the stunning elegant design of this set and storage capacity was always going to be an issue otherwise with this TV.

2. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just replied to the same question in your other thread, so here goes again ;)

Saltyseadog the smearing is a known prob with this model ( i did own one also)
    it is basically condensation that builds up inbetween the dual layers of the screen. To get rid of it simply use a soft cloth and apply light pressure "wipe it away", You will then find it will be gone until the next morning or whenever the tv is switched off for a long period time.

Hope this helps mate :)

3. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then grey screen ‘smears’ seem to disappear when the TV has been on a while but are very noticeable when the TV is first switched on in the morning (which is when the Mrs and Kids tend to view it). Is it pointless accepting a replacement set as I can only assume that it will suffer the same problem, Can any other SP50L7HX 50” DLP TV owners please post their findings on this issue please?

4. Peterw

Peterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peterw that link makes some very interesting reading and I’m now not convinced that sending a brand new set will rectify the ‘Smudge/Smear’ issue. Can other UK SAMSUNG DLP TV owners please post some feedback regarding this issue (I know you’re out there) :)

6. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SAMSUNG SP50L7HX 50” DLP TV

Does nobody else out there own this awsome TV ?

I need to know ASAP if mine is one of a minority of defective sets or if this is a common problem which all units are affected by.

7. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I can only add that I have seen it on different DLP RPTV sets when they are switched off, which would indicate it is characteristic of their design, rather than a problem or an isolated incident.

And again, it seems to go away (in real or imaginary terms) once the set it warmed up.

9. Peterw

Peterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salty, why not post a question on the forum I posted the detiails of above, the US has had DLP set for much longer than the UK.

10. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Salty, I've just seen the comments on this subject and had also worked out that the problem was condensation - gently pressing on the screen and wiping with a soft cloth does (temporarily) resolve it. Having done this once when the TV is first switched on seems to be sufficient. Very annoying for such an expensive TV but the performance otherwise is brilliant. The thought of putting the thing back in it's box (which is still filling my dining room!) fills me with horror.

Karl

11. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow guys this issue must be annoying to say the least. Am particularily interested to see whether this is simply a characteristic of large screen DLPs or whether it is just effecting the SP50

Am waiting for my SP46L3HX to arrive although I am based in Malta therefore our stock comes from Samsung Italy. Not sure if there is any kind of major difference.

A friend of mine in the UK has the SP50 so I've asked him to have a look and place a post either way, so perhaps Salty that will help out a bit if you can get more of a response.

12. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys i have a Optoma RD50 i saw your posts & it made me wonder about
    my DLP so i phoned Optoma & asked, i was told the RD50 screen should not suffer fom this problem. I also asked about care of the screen ( you would not believe how basic their online manual is)
    They recomend using luke warm water & a damp silk cloth(spectacle cloth one of the new micro fibre cleaning cloths cotton will do) It is important to make sure the cloth is clean as any grit or chemicals on the cloth would damage the screen. Do not use anything else no pledge ect it is also important not to use any aerosols (fly killer air freshner hair spray ect)near the screen as any chemicals could damage it.
    I had to ask 3 or 4 questions to get all that advice initially they just mentioned a silk cloth & lukewarm water.

thought it couldn't hurt to post the advice You all probably have nice shiny manuals with loads of information.

13. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, this effect is characteristic of the model and will not be cured by a replacement set. When it does occur a light wipe over the screen with a cloth removes it by generating a little static charge that makes the inner and outer layers of plastic seperate (the smear effect is visible where they touch). I only notice it from time to time and only soon after switching the set on.

14. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one that the cloth wipe method doesn't work for? I've tried to wipe away the smears when the set is first turned on but they simply refuse to be wiped away (tried applying a little pressure). My only solution is to wait a good 30+ minutes for the set to warm up.

15. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I've finally given up with my Samsung. The moisture/static issue is just too annoying. Also one the tiny reflectors (I assume that's what they are) has failed so I now have a little black dot on the screen. Furthermore, a fly or small spider got between the layers and died so I've now got dead livestock in there as well!! I filmed the screen, and made a quicktime movie of the problem and took it back to Curry's. They viewed the movie and have agreed to give me a refund.

To add insult to injury they have also reduced the price by £500 less than I paid! I'm really disappointed because the TV picture is fabulous. Looks like I'm back in the market but not sure now about what to get.

Karl

16. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, searching the US forums I remember seeing this issue (smearing) They said that using a hair dryer at low heat (you try this at you own risk) from a distance from the screen can cure the problem. I can't remember all the details but I think you heat it up very slowly until the moisture disapears. I will try and find the thread if I have time as I have this TV on order and am worried this will happen to me!

Interesting US samsung link on this, looks like they have a fix.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer...G_ID=3&AT_ID=17146&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=153

17. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried and tested this 'Hair dryer fix' sounds interesting ?

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rubbing the screen with a soft cloth, using a hairdryer, are you guys having a laugh or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that the above doesn't work, on the contrary, I just personall think its appaling that such an expensive piece of kit has a stupid fault like this. Afterall, the last place you want a fault to be is on the screen, its a TV for crying out loud, the screen is THE most crucial part, it would be a little different if it was a problem with the scart connections or a joint on a circuit board or something like that, but the last place you want the fault is on the screen!

There's no way that manufacturers should be allowed to market products with faults like this. Surely a problem like this would have been thought of or picked up during the design stage?, let alone going un-noticed at the testing and QA stage!

I could understand it if you've got one bloke sitting in an office, drawing/designing it, assembling it, and testing it, but come on, this is Samsung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many meetings/designers, assembly workers, QA/Testers, how many people were involved from start to finish with this product and nobody noticed it?

I personally think it was noticed, but maybe it would have cost the company to much money to correct - argh, poor Samsung, instead they pass the cost and inconvenience onto the consumer, i'm not knocking Samsung, i just think there should be some type of law that forces manufacturers to make sure that problems like this don't slip through the net and ensure that us consumers pay our money and get a FINISHED & 100% tested product thats passed QA, instead of us paying our money and taking our chances!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes in an ideal and perfect world that would indeed be the case however it would appears that this smudge/smear issue seems to be a ‘characteristic’ of this particular set as so far no other owners have posted to say that they have a problem free screen. The only reason I’m living with this annoying little design flaw is quite simply because of the incredible picture quality on offer here (amazing DVD playback via HDMI and even excellent with freeview) and the amazing screen size for approx half the price of a 50” PIONEER plasma. Taking all these points into consideration (did I mention the drop dead gorgeous designer curves) then I’m prepared to endure the ‘warming up period’ (30mins or so) during these cold months or until SAMSUNG UK actually admit to there being an issue with the screen as at the moment they simply aren’t unlike their US Big Brother http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer...G_ID=3&AT_ID=17146&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=153

20. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  21. Karl

Karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, at the risk of being the messenger of doom, I thought you might like to know that Currys are taking my Sammie back on Monday (wife delighted but I'm rather sad). They've been really good about it. This morning wifey switched TV on from standby mode and TV wouldn't boot up to smiley face. Got as far as the 3 circles, sound started but no picture. It then shut down and tried to start again. It repeated this several times before I switched it off. Anyone got any clues? It's all academic for me as the thing is going but it might help those of you who persevering or who might experience this. Hacked off about not being able to watch the rugby today though.

Karl